Mad Dog's Closed?

millwall_fan

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/30/2018 at 12:40 PM, Loaded said:

You sound like a regular mad dog customer, so I guess you would know...

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have been around since the time Nick opened.   You are right, the poster who you are being sarcastic to does know .  Please inform us if you know different

On 6/4/2018 at 7:42 PM, millwall_fan said:

Thanks for that sanemax! My apologies for the false alarm, TV people! Great news though. Mad Dogs has provided decent food and beer since I first came to Thailand back in 1900 and frozen stiff.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You win the "oldest poster on TVF" award.      In fact, you may easily be among the top 10 oldest people on planet earth.    

Enjoy your remaining years..  ????

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Maybe you think that he was being rude and you missed the "1900" mistake ?

OK,,you got me on that one  ???? ..... my miss i admit .       but, the stool from another poster still smells bad ..lol.    Just to add:  there are VERY few eateries,  let alone farang owned ones,  that have been around for as long as mad dog and have maintained a decent level of cleanliness and consistency.  So easy for some to sit at their keyboard and criticize.... this is a case (mad dogs) that i think deserves a little credit. 

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

there are VERY few eateries,  let alone farang owned ones,  that have been around for as long as mad dog

Quite agree but I do remember that both the "Red Lion" and "UN-Irish" are some of the few that have been around longer.  "Gekko Bar" opened after "Mad Dog" but has been around for over 10 years if my memory serves me right.

On moonmuang rd (the road that Mad Dog is in on) there are a number of longstanding Thai owned bars, "Kafe", John's Place and "Blue Sky" come to mind, although "Blue Sky" has had a few incarnations and sites in the last 20 years.

13 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Quite agree but I do remember that both the "Red Lion" and "UN-Irish" are some of the few that have been around longer.  "Gekko Bar" opened after "Mad Dog" but has been around for over 10 years if my memory serves me right.

On moonmuang rd (the road that Mad Dog is in on) there are a number of longstanding Thai owned bars, "Kafe", John's Place and "Blue Sky" come to mind, although "Blue Sky" has had a few incarnations and sites in the last 20 years.

and then there's Darets and Jok Sompet .   I've been to all you mention,  but actually Mad Dog was a favorite back when i craved a pizza .  Waiting for someone to start commenting on the barmaids . There is an old thread on that if anyone is bored.

Mad dogs is bs when there are so many inexpensive healthy thai options around.

try the rice soup place at the end of loh Kroh rd on moon mutant just the other side of the canal for 60 baht each morning with fresh juices and healthy chicken broth. Or try the chicken and noodles with peanut sauce, delicious.

i can smell the desperation of these over priced farang outlets each time they start another thread.

most of it is about hanging with other foreigners, and hey that's something, but don't pretend it's the food.

This topic was originally posted to inquire about the possibility of Maddogs closing. Nick, the owner told one and all what the situation was. Simple, case closed one would have thought but Oh No the miserable ones as I call them just had to go on and on with their sillyness on matters that had fo..ok all to do with Maddogs closing. Where were these so called moderators who could have and should have closed this topic after Nick had cleared the air???

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

I only mentioned a stool.

????

if that's a photo of you it does look like you are in need of a stool  ????

puns intended or not...nothing i am getting worked up about...

TV  (should) be all in good fun

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Long Live Maddog for the joy and pleasure of those who find it there.  And for me who simply likes it's name and ability to survive.

It definitely gets points for longevity, and for being a great landmark when giving directions. Can't miss that sign.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:42 AM, rumak said:

if anyone wants to know why many people avoid Thaivisa nowadays , the last two posts should give

you the reason why

And would you please let us know what kind of Thaivisa forum you'd find acceptable?

How about quotes of government regulations and only  pure verifiable factual information?   Better?      ????

On 11/3/2018 at 8:29 PM, Dante99 said:

Long Live Maddog for the joy and pleasure of those who find it there.  And for me who simply likes it's name and ability to survive.

So it is a gay bar, then?  I should have known.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:08 PM, Loaded said:

The Overlander

Yes, Alan Batey opened the 'Overlander Bar' after his lease was up in the older 'Lovebirds Bar' (mid/late 80's.) The Spotlight was there at least before the mid 80's as well as Karen Hut, Las Vegas etc.,

36 minutes ago, Teak said:

Yes, Alan Batey opened the 'Overlander Bar' after his lease was up in the older 'Lovebirds Bar' (mid/late 80's.) The Spotlight was there at least before the mid 80's as well as Karen Hut, Las Vegas etc.,

Las Vegas   haha   don't think there's very many on TV that know of that one  ????  

13 hours ago, rumak said:
13 hours ago, Teak said:

Las Vegas   haha   don't think there's very many on TV that know of that one

As for Mad Dog, there were some guys working on his signs earlier this week, New ones are up. A mystery explained.  I thought it was closed when MD's old signs had been yanked off his wall a couple weeks back.

Spotlight was here in the mid 80's? - sure about that?  

One 80's place I have always wanted to get a location on was the "Tee House" (T House ?) . After closing out The Riverside, we seemed to end up there. However I have no idea where the place was actually located. Demon Rum can do terrible things to ones memory.

Since the original topic has gone the way of the Dodo I will add my two setangs. Spotlight A Go Go has been in business for 33 years. 32.5 and a half of those at the old location and 6 months at the new location. Doubt my words simply go there ask for Pai and she will clue you in since she was one of the original hires. Obviously now she is behind the bar serving drinks. For those of you stilldoubtful ask the owner Horst who can be found sitting at the end of the bar most nights after 10:00 p.m.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't doubt you it is just ....

Lets see, I would be up here say 5 times a year say, 84-87 and we never went to a go go bar in CM period. I would be with people who lived here in CM. In fact I never heard a person say there was a go go bar in town back then. As we used to love The Sugar Shack in Patpong and Thermaes was starting its 2nd life and we were in attendance, ... you would think we would have.

In fact we went to a restaurant place that was a (new) only ? pick up bar. But All the young girls were out and the waitress's were veterans of the Vietnam area service industry, Ow, that was old even back then ???? sorry for westerners, should specify that.

More to the point, I recall one time when Pattys brother was working off shore and needed some uh, release, so we took him, naturally, to the places out on Kampangdin road. If there was a go go bar we would have went there first. 

So we must have been incredibly ignorant of the place.  ...  which given us, I can understand  :biggrin: ... kinda ... on the other hand your time line puts it in in 85, ok maybe it wasn't getting the "publicity" back then. However now I have a reason to e mail people hah. Questions about a 30 years old go go bar in CM, they are going to love that.

Archived