Mad Dog's Closed?

millwall_fan

3 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

For you Earslings who pitch a bit...ch about the H P change have you checked the price lately in the markets. No, I didnt think so because if you had you would realize that Nick is right to take it out of the baskets on the tables and only supply it when requested. How many times when you been at MadDog or other similar eating establishments and seen loud, uncout Brits and Aussies pour half a bottle of H P sauce on their food?? It is no longer cost effective to allow that to continue on a daily basis.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Then why not put a couple spoon fulls in a side saucer cup.

Being cheap about a very desired condiment is not an asset for his overall business model.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Then why not put a couple spoon fulls in a side saucer cup.

Being cheap about a very desired condiment is not an asset for his overall business model.

Then all the people that dont like HP sauce wont eat it and there will be alot of wasteage , which will defeat the point of restricting it 

22 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

For you Earslings who pitch a bit...ch about the H P change have you checked the price lately in the markets. No, I didnt think so because if you had you would realize that Nick is right to take it out of the baskets on the tables and only supply it when requested. How many times when you been at MadDog or other similar eating establishments and seen loud, uncout Brits and Aussies pour half a bottle of H P sauce on their food?? It is no longer cost effective to allow that to continue on a daily basis.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, its 125 Baht a bottle now , people could easily use 20 Bahts worth of HP sauce on their 40 Baht french fries and if they also use the Tabasco and Worcester sauce , they would be using 40 Bahts worth of sauces on a 40 Baht plate of french fries 

Having arguments about where to keep the HP sauce says a lot about the place and who goes there! Anyway, an entertaining thread which has attracted some older long term residents. Interesting history lesson about a couple of go go bars, too, as a premium! Here’s to Nick and all the denizens! Cheers! With a dollop if HP sauce!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Mapguy said:

Having arguments about where to keep the HP sauce says a lot about the place and who goes there! Anyway, an entertaining thread which has attracted some older long term residents. Interesting history lesson about a couple of go go bars, too, as a premium! Here’s to Nick and all the denizens! Cheers! With a dollop if HP sauce!!

Although no one has had an argument about where the HP sauce is kept , its now just kept in the fridge , which is understandable at 125 Baht a bottle .

What does having HP sauce say about the place and the people that go there ?

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That works out about 80 P per  bottle at source and after you've paid postal costs and import tax , they would work out to be more expensive than a bottle in Thailand 

So back to the fridge we go.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:42 PM, scottiejohn said:

Well it is obvious that you must not have spent all day in Mad Dog as Nick has a large and varied library of music which is definitely not all 50's or any other type of music and is normally played in a "random" mode.

You cannot judge a bar's music, or much else, in the short length of time that you obviously claim that you spent there.  

Nick, if you are reading this - keep up your present practices etc, you know your real patrons support you.

Admittedly I have only have ever been in a breakfast time, but only every now and then, but it always seems to be the same music. I might just be unlucky.

3 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Admittedly I have only have ever been in a breakfast time, but only every now and then, but it always seems to be the same music. I might just be unlucky.

What are the "same songs" that they play ?

Or are they just similar songs that youve never heard before and thus thinks that its the same song ?

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, sanemax said:

He has a barbeque sauce on every table for the backpackers , to replace the HP sauce and the HP sauce in the fridge is for ex-pats in the know

The barbeque sauce has now gone as well as the HP sauce , as has the colemans mustard .

Think that will be my last meal there

On 11/8/2018 at 4:33 AM, Teak said:

Yes, Alan Batey opened the 'Overlander Bar' after his lease was up in the older 'Lovebirds Bar' (mid/late 80's.) The Spotlight was there at least before the mid 80's as well as Karen Hut, Las Vegas etc.,

Alan Baily, I'm pretty sure and Spotlight was on the other side of the moat, a few blocks down.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:22 PM, bkk6060 said:

That really is a perfect description.

Duke"s is a little above a Denny's I guess. 

Oh, come on ....Denny’s is barely above a McDonald’s with a larger menu ...and they are not doing that as a stand alone business in a foreign country ....I don’t understand the anti-Duke crowd, I think it is jealousy of some sort.

5 minutes ago, amykat said:

Oh, come on ....Denny’s is barely above a McDonald’s with a larger menu ...and they are not doing that as a stand alone business in a foreign country ....I don’t understand the anti-Duke crowd, I think it is jealousy of some sort.

or it could just be that we don't like it  .....   

I did like it when it first opened on East side of the river.  Not too busy,  good prices, simple but good food, friendly owner.   I was always greeted as a known guest.

For all those that complain about how Thailand has changed..... they can include Dukes

(though i admit I haven't been there in at least 7 years.  that is when i voted with my feet)

26 minutes ago, rumak said:

I did like it when it first opened on East side of the river.  Not too busy,  good prices, simple but good food, friendly owner.   I was always greeted as a known guest.

For all those that complain about how Thailand has changed..... they can include Dukes

(though i admit I haven't been there in at least 7 years.  that is when i voted with my feet)

Me too, and around the same time.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, sanemax said:

He has a barbeque sauce on every table for the backpackers , to replace the HP sauce and the HP sauce in the fridge is for ex-pats in the know

sounds fair to me   ????       I am very critical of how places that once were ok go downhill (sometimes within a few years) .    Very few exceptions.   I think Mad Dog is an exception

Archived