Around 50,000 university places now available in ‘3/2’ round of TCAS

Around 50,000 university places now available in ‘3/2’ round of TCAS

By The Nation

17bf610c278f3bfb04f89df39a5523f8.jpeg

File photo

Nearly 50,000 university seats are now available for applicants in the so-called “3/2 round” – the newly agreed second phase of the third round of the Thai University Central Admission System (TCAS).

The number of available places was confirmed on Monday, after successful candidates in the first phase, the 3/1 round, made their choices.

On Tuesday, the Council of University Presidents of Thailand (CUPT) will announce the list of successful candidates in the 3/2 round. 

“These candidates then will have to pick or reconfirm their choice between 1pm on Wednesday and 6pm on Thursday,” said CUPT secretary-general Prasert Kanthamanon. 

Used for the first time this year, the TCAS features five rounds – each with different criteria. 

The first two rounds took place without any problems, but the third round, which is ongoing, has drawn intense criticism. 

The third round gives every candidate the right to choose up to four higher-education programmes. The scores of each candidate in exams held jointly by the TCAS-participating universities then determine whether they can get a seat for those programmes. 

Given that many top-scorers get offers from more than one of their chosen programmes, the TCAS required them to make just one choice by June 3 under what is now referred to as the 3/1 stage. 

Had the CUPT stuck to the initial plan, the TCAS would have then immediately proceeded to the fourth round, irrespective of how many seats were given up by highly successful candidates. 

However, because of the outcry from many students, the CUPT resolved to add the 3/2 phase to the process.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30346979

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Around 50,000 university places now available...

Unfortunately the most popular courses, Bachelor in fruit carving, Doctorate in selfienism, and Master of LINE chatting are taken already. But there are still free places for traditional hand-clapping, and Diploma in Thainess.

You know I think education is a wonderful thing I really do You never can get enough of it. But In Thailand getting a degree does not automatically get you a job. In fact i will stick my neck out and say 50% of these graduates will not get a job in there chosen field. Sorry, but I have met Thais who have degrees and work in shops, bars etc because there are no jobs. Thailand is making the same mistake years ago as Australia when getting a university degree was the be all to end all and get a degree and sit back and the jobs will flow. Thailand needs more than anything TRADES PEOPLE. Hairdressers electricians plumbers tilers etc. In fact, The government launched a big campaign in Australia to get people to learn a trade instead of going to university Maybe it a social thing here to get a degree or Thai kids are brought up these days " Go to university get 4 years of leisure do not have to work mum and dad will pay for everything or get a trade where you have toooo Dare I say it "WORK".  Why I say this. Yesterday was standing in wife's shop. Stepdaughter standing beside me and wife said one of the waitresses had just left her job. I said to stepdaughter why don't you apply for her job You hate school and you cant even pass your exams. She looked at me and said There is no way I ever work in a shop and I would sooner starve. I am afraid that is how many of her countrymen think Sooner starve than work

13 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Unfortunately the most popular courses, Bachelor in fruit carving, Doctorate in selfienism, and Master of LINE chatting are taken already. But there are still free places for traditional hand-clapping, and Diploma in Thainess.

Don't forget Masters degree in "On mobile phone 18 hours a day degree" That one is very popular

3 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Don't forget Masters degree in "On mobile phone 18 hours a day degree" That one is very popular

You know lupatria I am starting to wonder if a kid in Thailand gets 0s in all there subjects in school they still get into university. Just looking at my step-daughter( I do love her to bits) her attitude going to school is It doesn't matter how i do at school I will still get in. Maybe that is why Thai kids have this don't care attitude when they go to school  1/ don't care if they are late 2/ Don't care if they don't do their homework 3/ Don't pay attention in class 4/No respect for the teacher4/ play with their mobile phone in class I know this because my friend is a school teacher Being a farang he cannot discipline the child like using really stern words because it might upset the parents of the kid. He says he reports the kid to the headmaster the headmaster comes into the classroom the kid is really good and the headmaster leaves. Kid goes back to his bad ways.

Archived