Moderation Or Abstinence As Goals

benw

I've noticed some comments in the topics here addressing peoples' ideas about moderate drinking versus complete abstinence. There is controversy because of the strong feelings that many people have about this, on both sides.

Well designed, peer-reviewed research on controlled drinking suggests that the approach is effective for some people, although not everyone. I thought someone might value reading this summary of research on the topic by Bob Westermeyer. It's not the definitive word on the topic, since it was written in the late 1990's. It is a good summary of how professionals who work with alcohol abuse/dependence think about this issue.

http://www.habitsmart.com/cntrldnk.html

Controlled drinking. Another viable alternative.

Interesting part about the resistance to aquiring unbiased information about controlled drinking from one of the parties involved.

Marlatt, in his excellent summary of the controlled drinking dispute, pointed out that the other flaw was that Pendry and her colleagues based their "findings" on retrospective self-reports of the past 5 - 10 years. Pendry is a strong advocate for 12-step approaches and the possibility of experimenter bias is likely. There was also no objective data obtained, as was the case with the Sobells. Most dangerous was the fact that Pendry and her colleague were attempting to posit that the patients died as a function of taking part in the controlled drinking study, that the Sobells were in fact responsible for their deaths. Marlatt reports "Pendry and her colleagues attempted to convince readers that the long-term negative results they reported were the direct effect of a single controlled drinking program conducted a decade earlier. The problem with drawing such a causal inference over a pronged period is that the literature on the effectiveness of alcoholism treatment methods contains very few studies documenting the lasting effectiveness of any one treatment intervention over periods longer than two or three years, including programs geared toward an abstinence goal (p.473).

Why they're so afraid of scientific research into these areas is beyond me. People choose to believe what they want, as it points out.

the schlock journalism associated with the Pendry et.al. study has stuck in many people’s minds.

The Institute of Medicine (1990) pointed out that we are "out of touch" with approximately 80% of alcoholics. These folks have legitimate drinking problems and are not in contact with addiction treatment services. Advocates of the 12-step model contend that these people are simply "in denial" and need to "hit bottom" before they will align themselves with treatment. Marlatt contends (1993) that it is more likely that many of these people simply do now wish to enter treatment with dichotomous requirements and would be more compliant if offered alternatives.

Good article.

Edited by robitusson

• 2 weeks later...

I posted here early last year that my aim was to try moderation, and that I understood the risks.

I read advice on a website devoted to alcoholics learning moderation, and did a full month without drinking to start. Six weeks, actually. After that I slid back into heavy drinking, and so again took several weeks off. It went back and forth like that for a while, and although I had a few binges, I was generally trying to keep things under control. The worst I'd want to let myself get is to drink a hip flask bottle of vodka each evening, after 7pm - but some nights were more.

What is working best for me now is quite simple - a drinking schedule, and a woman to encourage me to stick to it. I drink only every second day, and wait until 7pm to start. Then I limit myself to the hip flask bottle - plenty enough to get a good drunk on, but not so much as to make me a total idiot. If I'm in company, I let my girlfriend advise me to not get too wasted, and might switch to water for a bit. At home I get to be wasted, until the bottle is empty.

My health seems to be able to handle this much. I don't have terrible cravings on my day off. This really works for me.

Jamman,

I'm glad you have found something that works for you. As long as it works and you are happy, keep up the good work. If it stops working or you find that something about your life just seems a bit off, know that there are alternatives. Thanks so much for keeping us posted on your journey and please keep posting!

I posted here early last year that my aim was to try moderation, and that I understood the risks.

I read advice on a website devoted to alcoholics learning moderation, and did a full month without drinking to start. Six weeks, actually. After that I slid back into heavy drinking, and so again took several weeks off. It went back and forth like that for a while, and although I had a few binges, I was generally trying to keep things under control. The worst I'd want to let myself get is to drink a hip flask bottle of vodka each evening, after 7pm - but some nights were more.

What is working best for me now is quite simple - a drinking schedule, and a woman to encourage me to stick to it. I drink only every second day, and wait until 7pm to start. Then I limit myself to the hip flask bottle - plenty enough to get a good drunk on, but not so much as to make me a total idiot. If I'm in company, I let my girlfriend advise me to not get too wasted, and might switch to water for a bit. At home I get to be wasted, until the bottle is empty.

My health seems to be able to handle this much. I don't have terrible cravings on my day off. This really works for me.

Jamman, If this works for you then fair enough. I know it wouldn't work for me.

I spent many years trying to control my drinking but it was a struggle I couldn't win. I vividly remember my days off the sauce, sitting their all anxious trying to wish the day away; shit it was only over seven months ago. I think the hardest thing for me was that I knew that the drink was doing <deleted> all for me. It was a dogs life. I spent a lot of time waiting for my life to begin. I had this stupid idea that I would stop when things got bad enough and that it was useless to to stop until then. This idea nearly killed me but more importantly it wasted my time.

I thought at the time that my problem was physical and that if I could stay off the drink for a bit I would be fit to drink again; the good times would be back. This did not happen no matter how many days I struggled off the booze.

Jamman, I don't know you but my advice would be that if drinking is making you happy and you are prepared to take the consequences then go for it. If not stop.

It has been my experience that safe drinkers do not need to put any effort into controlling their drinking.

There are many ways to quit alcohol and stay off it. If you decide that moderation is no longer working then you will find one thay suits you.

I sincerly wish you all the best no matter what you decide.

Edited by garro