Video: Water monitor leads to death of motorcyclist, but Thai TV finds it funny

webfact

Video: Water monitor leads to death of motorcyclist, but Thai TV finds it funny

2pm1.jpg

Pictures (2): TNA

CCTV showed a terrible accident from Nonthaburi on Monday in which a young motorcyclist died because a car slowed for a crossing water monitor.

Thai News Agency TV made much of the fact that the accident had its initial cause because of the animal crossing.

Producers added bells and whistles in the manner of a cheap Thai soap opera as the dead rider lay motionless under a white sheet on the tarmac.

2pm2.jpg

The smiling presenters made continued jokey references to the polite Thai word for a water monitor (tua ngern tua thong) and it's vulgar colloquial use (tua hia or ay hia).

They seemed more concerned with what they perceived as the fun angle of the story rather than its tragedy.

The accident happened on the Ratchapreuk Road and was caught on Bang Krang municipal CCTV.

Natthapong Phongsiri, 26, a bill collector for the Tao Kae Noi company was killed instantly when he was crushed between a Toyota Altis that slowed down and a following Mitsubishi Triton pick-up that hit him from behind.

TNA made no comment on any police action in the matter concentrating more on the fact that the water monitor seemed to have survived.

Thaivisa notes that the word for a water monitor is used as a swear word in Thai. Some people believe that if you use that word you will suffer bad luck but if you say the polite term when seeing one of the creatures you will get rich.

Tua ngern tua thong means the creature that is silver and gold.

Source: TNA

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-05

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where i come from the driver of the Pick-up that hit the boy from behind would be charged with causing death by dangerous driving.    Even if nobody got hurt he would be charged with at least careless driving.  Driver of the first car would most likely be charged with obstruction.

RIP the innocent victim, another waste of life on Thailand's roads.

40 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

There is something profoundly wrong with anyone who can find humour in someone being killed.

There's also something profoundly wrong about the producers that allowed this to be broadcast in this manner. The whole team should be suspended.

But they won't be.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

How can they blame the car for slowing down !

What if it had to break suddenly for another reason !

It was the pickup coming from behind that is at fault like all rear end accidents

The pickup was going way too fast and didn't seem to slow down at all.

I had a Thai friend recently ask me, "is murder serious in the UK?". I asked why they asked and they told me they had been watching a show on Netflix. I told them that murder is the most serious crime in the UK. They told me in Thailand it isn't as serious.

Life is cheap here. You can say, "well, it's the culture", but if you educated people better on the laws of physics and safety, there would simply be fewer deaths and accidents. That's a fact. I can't imagine how painful it would be to lose someone close to me. Even more painful knowing it could have been avoided. 

Seems to me that, like most are pointing out, the pick up driver was (as per usual) speeding and had he been traveling at a more conservative and appropriate speed then this would have most likely not been a fatal accident. We must remember that a huge proportion of drivers on the roads in Thailand simply have 0 skill behind the wheel and don't give a flying <deleted> about anyone outside of their own car - the highly praised Buddhist mentality we all hear about, at work ? .

A sad and totally avoidable waste of life, probably somewhere around # 300 or 400 already this month, I'd wager.

And - whoever produced this woeful piece of s**t  attempt at a news program should be s**t-canned tout-suite and never allowed to work in TV again. The hosts should hang their heads in shame too. Just more evidence that a large percentage of the Thai public seemingly occupy a rung on the scale of human evolution many gradations lower than most! Warped.

The first driver slowing down or stopping whether lizard dog or person is completely in his rights to do so....

the accountable drivers are all others who follow behind...as a driver up to you to follow the 3-4 sec rule to allow breaking distance...

fault with PU and maybe even motorcyclist if he made contact with first driver....not sure on details

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

There's also something profoundly wrong about the producers that allowed this to be broadcast in this manner. The whole team should be suspended.

But they won't be.

I uploaded this picture to my phone, in case somebody ask me again what the meaning of  "Thainess" is:

Thai%20society_zpsm7q9zqng.png

20 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Just more evidence that a large percentage of the Thai public seemingly occupy a rung on the scale of human evolution many gradations lower than most! Warped.

Sadly after 20 years in Thailand. This is my conclusion too. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There is something profoundly wrong with anyone who can find humour in someone being killed.

And so welcome to the Thai way go figure the mentality?

Found this  beautiful but dead  lil fella in the road yesterday outside my house.

20180604_081640.jpg

7 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I wish it wasn't mine, and although I know and work with a few very intelligent, urbane and forward thinking Thais, they are in a minority - that much is clear to me. ?

Mine too, maybe 1in 20 is the conclusion Ive come to, but dare to mention this and you become a hater/basher

5 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

I remember being shocked 10-12 years ago when I watched a handicapped guy performing on Thai TV and being ridiculed and people laughing at him.  Fortunately now it's cool to support the handicapped.  Things change here but quite slowly.

When I was a  kid ( 10  years old) I used to go to a mentally  handicapped hospital in the UK/ Birmingham close to where I lived ( Monyhull Hospital) to read to the patients there, sadly places like this no longer exist as the awful "care in the community" replaced it and most were turfed out into private care which was disastrous for them.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This ALWAYS comes to mind when thinking about someone laughing (actually CACKLING here) at another's death:

In this incident ,the monitor had to be more carefull....since it was him with the biggest

brain . Proof ? Well he was the only one to come out of this unharmed , and he does this 

crossing 6 times a day for more than 3 years..........

37 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

The first driver slowing down or stopping whether lizard dog or person is completely in his rights to do so....

the accountable drivers are all others who follow behind...as a driver up to you to follow the 3-4 sec rule to allow breaking distance...

fault with PU and maybe even motorcyclist if he made contact with first driver....not sure on details

Yes it's a pity  R.I.P motor cycle rider.

stopping-distances_jpg_large.png

The water monitor had little to do with this tragic accident. Excessive speed and reckless/dangerous driving by the pick up.

A manslaughter charge leading to a few years in a Thai Nick is appropriate, but unlikely . Until there are consequences to the drivers for reckless driving  nothing will change and the slaughter will continue.

OH and Can those stupid News presenters !!!

Archived