Video: Water monitor leads to death of motorcyclist, but Thai TV finds it funny

webfact

6 minutes ago, davidill said:

Yes it's a pity  R.I.P motor cycle rider.

stopping-distances_jpg_large.png

You  dont understand Thai, you can remove the thinking distance and therefore  drive closer, Thai 101

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seemed more concerned with what they perceived as the fun angle of the story rather than its tragedy.

hardly surprising as the carnage on the roads and associated unnecessary death toll is hardly news in thailand and to be honest foreigners seem to care about this more than the locals, whereas, in a thai tv producer/editor's mind a monitor lizard is an unusual, interesting/exciting angle; quite a sad state of affairs

Incredible. Where is the compassion? This guy woke up in the morning, went about his day, was driving carefully, and probably never saw it coming. Just snuffed out like a mosquito. How do you think his family feels, having lost a loved one, then seeing this on the so called news? And these hooligan "so called newscasters" make fun of him! What can one even say? Where is the respect? Where is the value of a life? Who were the parents of these two, and why did they fail so miserably to raise decent, sensitive, caring human beings? 

14 minutes ago, mekko said:

There are clearly visible road markings on the curb, it should be easy to calculate the speed on the truck from these, and go from there.. 

Speed (in this case) had nothing to do with the accident. It was all about distance (or the lack thereof).

In the UK if someone hits you from the back they are the ones at fault. Logic is they should have been driving at a safe distance and at a safe speed to enable them to stop if you suddenly had to make an emergency stop.

As always Thailand will blame anyone they can

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Seems to me that, like most are pointing out, the pick up driver was (as per usual) speeding and had he been traveling at a more conservative and appropriate speed then this would have most likely not been a fatal accident. We must remember that a huge proportion of drivers on the roads in Thailand simply have 0 skill behind the wheel and don't give a flying <deleted> about anyone outside of their own car - the highly praised Buddhist mentality we all hear about, at work ? .

A sad and totally avoidable waste of life, probably somewhere around # 300 or 400 already this month, I'd wager.

And - whoever produced this woeful piece of s**t  attempt at a news program should be s**t-canned tout-suite and never allowed to work in TV again. The hosts should hang their heads in shame too. Just more evidence that a large percentage of the Thai public seemingly occupy a rung on the scale of human evolution many gradations lower than most! Warped.

Religion its ok to die, reincarnation will maybe bring a better life and he  will be higher up towards nivana

18 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:
19 minutes ago, Aupee said:

Religion its ok to die, reincarnation will maybe bring a better life and he  will be higher up towards nivana

Here's to hoping! What else they gonna do? Change their ways??? 

I sense a strong negative correlation between religion and education... Between countries... Within societies....

I sense a strong negative correlation between religion and education... Between countries... Within societies....

20 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:
22 minutes ago, Aupee said:

Here's to hoping! What else they gonna do? Change their ways??

20 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:
22 minutes ago, Aupee said:

Here's to hoping! What else they gonna do? Change their ways??

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There is something profoundly wrong with anyone who can find humour in someone being killed.

Agree 100% - THAT is obscene - not a bare bum or a pair of boobs or somebody smoking - all of which are "fuzzed" out on Thai TV - yet they can make a joke of this tragedy - sick.

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

How can they blame the car for slowing down !

What if it had to break suddenly for another reason !

It was the pickup coming from behind that is at fault like all rear end accidents

Yep, I guess the text messages much more important than checking out the road.

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

How can they blame the car for slowing down !

What if it had to break suddenly for another reason !

It was the pickup coming from behind that is at fault like all rear end accidents

In my country the Road Code states that (as well as regarding posted speed limits, you must at all times drive at a speed that allows you to stop in 1/2 the distance of the clear road ahead.   I suspect most countries have similar laws.

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The first driver slowing down or stopping whether lizard dog or person is completely in his rights to do so....

the accountable drivers are all others who follow behind...as a driver up to you to follow the 3-4 sec rule to allow breaking distance...

fault with PU and maybe even motorcyclist if he made contact with first driver....not sure on details

The motorcyclist done nothing wrong and was slowing down behind the car ..... The PU driver didn't slow at all ... he needs locking up

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The first driver slowing down or stopping whether lizard dog or person is completely in his rights to do so....

the accountable drivers are all others who follow behind...as a driver up to you to follow the 3-4 sec rule to allow breaking distance...

fault with PU and maybe even motorcyclist if he made contact with first driver....not sure on details

Look a little closer, you'll see that the Motorcyclist was following at a safe distance and was slowing down also.  Total blame for this accident is on the pickup driver.

If you watch thai news on a regular basis... there is always someone dying for some reason or another.. someone dying in another car accident is common place so its not suprising thai people developed a cavaleir attitude towards another road related fatality. Road fatality is a reality that is all to common in thailand.

People bitch and complain about mass shootings in the united states... half the country wants to change the other half is ehhh its sad but dont you dare try to take my gun...  soo americans would rather deal with the possibility that their children might be shot at school  rather than dealing with stricter gun laws to try and prevent it from happening.. let that sink in for a bit.

Apart from speeding the van driver was much too close,I would say he was doing 110 to 120 ks when he attempted to brake at that time he was far too close for safety,he is totally responsible for taking this unfortunate mans life.He was not consentrating on the road when the altis started to brake.And the van looked like it was heavily loaded,I would like to check his brakes because although he attempted to brake the rear brakes did not appear to be in operation.if they were working properly they would certainly have locked up because all the force was on the front leaving little or no work for the rear brakes.This as usual is down to the thai government,they do not put into place proper driving tests,anyone and his aunt can get a licence in Thailand,and as usual for a very big percent of licence holders this licence is a death sentence to all and sundry or for anyone that is unfortunate enough to be near these licence holders when something goes wrong.They do not have the training and skills to hold a licence,I would say out of all the licence holders in Thailand maybe 5 or 6 percent would come close to getting that licence in Europe or the USA,this is not guess work I have had a licence for 59 years and a hgv for 50 or so years.as usual nothing will be done about this,and as for the two commentators I wouldnt let them into a shop never mind the comedy job they seem to enjoy at the minute,disgraceful.RIP the poor man.

2 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Seems to me that, like most are pointing out, the pick up driver was (as per usual) speeding and had he been traveling at a more conservative and appropriate speed then this would have most likely not been a fatal accident. We must remember that a huge proportion of drivers on the roads in Thailand simply have 0 skill behind the wheel and don't give a flying <deleted> about anyone outside of their own car - the highly praised Buddhist mentality we all hear about, at work ? .

A sad and totally avoidable waste of life, probably somewhere around # 300 or 400 already this month, I'd wager.

And - whoever produced this woeful piece of s**t  attempt at a news program should be s**t-canned tout-suite and never allowed to work in TV again. The hosts should hang their heads in shame too. Just more evidence that a large percentage of the Thai public seemingly occupy a rung on the scale of human evolution many gradations lower than most! Warped.

At the risk of repeating myself, Thais are born minus the common sense gene.

In the UK if someone hits you from the back they are the ones at fault. Logic is they should have been driving at a safe distance and at a safe speed to enable them to stop if you suddenly had to make an emergency stop.
As always Thailand will blame anyone they can
Yes and there was a spate of insurance fraudsters who would deliberately reverse into a stationary car behind...now with CCTV and dash cams its much less of a problem.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Incredible. Where is the compassion? This guy woke up in the morning, went about his day, was driving carefully, and probably never saw it coming. Just snuffed out like a mosquito. How do you think his family feels, having lost a loved one, then seeing this on the so called news? And these hooligan "so called newscasters" make fun of him! What can one even say? Where is the respect? Where is the value of a life? Who were the parents of these two, and why did they fail so miserably to raise decent, sensitive, caring human beings? 

Well, using Thai-logic this is just a simple case of “bad luck”.

It is even more bad luck that it was not a farang or a rich famous Thai causing the accident. Properly the correct amulet was not worn, thereby causing this bad luck.

It is now time for all involved to meet with the local police chief and settle this matter. With some luck the family might get some compensation and the police chief will also get paid for his time.

Respect, empathy, taking responsibility, learning from mistakes etc... What’s that?

It does amaze me that they take delight in broadcasting this with absolutely no regard for the motorcyclist's family, same for the girl shot by her ex. Just broadcast it and never mind the loved ones who have to constantly relive it. Crazy.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Nice job to insert the funny sounds they really sincere about the poor guy his death.

These childish cartoon noises pervade every aspect of so many of their shows. The humour seems confined to simple minded slapstick. No wonder the country’s IQ is below average with abject performance in the PISA educational tables.

Archived