Supporting documents for all UK Visas to be digitally scanned from 15 June.

From 15 June all supporting documents for all categories of UK Visa will be scanned at either of the Visa Application Centres, this will now include applications for Standard Visit Visas, the originals will be returned to the applicant.

I don't know if this means that applications for Standard Visit Visas will be processed in New Delhi after that date, or it's a precursor for this happening.

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/pdf/Scanning-Document.pdf

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense. Sending original documents to New Delhi would be fraught with problems. I guess the application drop and biometrics at VFS will now take longer.

I've been told that the Bangkok based ECOs were given the choice of transferring to India or going back to work in Sheffield. None are being retained in Bangkok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How soon, I wonder, before UKVI make a further announcement stating that all payments in connection with UK visa applications from Thailand will, in future, be made in Indian rupees rather than the US dollar???

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

How soon, I wonder, before UKVI make a further announcement stating that all payments in connection with UK visa applications from Thailand will, in future, be made in Indian rupees rather than the US dollar???

Pay UK Visa's in US Dollars?

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

Phut phut phut

This is indeed timely, thank you for the post, we're currently in the process of gathering documents for a two year visitor visa application which we'll submit in Chiang Mai mid. month!

I think this going to lead to huge delays at VFS, we are submitting a VV application tomorrow, included as required,copy of sponsors passport  24 pages, bank statements for six months(2 accounts)17 pages, sponsors and applicants letters 2 pages, transfer of funds records 2 pages,skype call records 2 pages, plus about six or so misc pages as required.In total about 50 pages.Thats not counting the header sheets.

All of which are stated by the UK visa as essential documents to be included.Going by my work experience,we used to scan medical records, that will take at least half an hour to scan, not counting the time it takes when pages get stuck in the scanner.Also from experience of most scanners, it is not usual for the feed tray to pick up two pages at once and only actually scan one.

I just hope that the VFS staff are paying attention when they put the items through the scanner,as I can see pages going missing quite easily.

Just glad the application is tomorrow, would hate to be amongst the guinea pigs who are the first applicants under the new system 

2 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

I think this going to lead to huge delays at VFS, we are submitting a VV application tomorrow, included as required,copy of sponsors passport  24 pages, bank statements for six months(2 accounts)17 pages, sponsors and applicants letters 2 pages, transfer of funds records 2 pages,skype call records 2 pages, plus about six or so misc pages as required.In total about 50 pages.Thats not counting the header sheets.

All of which are stated by the UK visa as essential documents to be included.Going by my work experience,we used to scan medical records, that will take at least half an hour to scan, not counting the time it takes when pages get stuck in the scanner.Also from experience of most scanners, it is not usual for the feed tray to pick up two pages at once and only actually scan one.

I just hope that the VFS staff are paying attention when they put the items through the scanner,as I can see pages going missing quite easily.

If you're only applying for a visitors visa  and you've got 50 pages of supporting evidence you've misunderstood what is essential  and/or you may have overstated your case, the details are here: 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549692/Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_English_version.pdf

Regardless, scanning technology has moved on from what you may have known in the past, throughput speeds are quite quick.

I have been using scanners personally very recently and I speak from experience scanning four/six full medical records per day.

The bulk of the paperwork sent is made up of items specifically requested in their guidelines ie six months bank statements and copy of sponsors passport(full including blank pages).

I would love to send less documents but that is what they ask for when sponsoring a Visitor Visa.I would rather send 3/4 extra pages rather than have the ECO deny the visa saying one is missing.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Pay UK Visa's in US Dollars?

my wife has just filled in a tourist visa application, yes paid in dollars, dont expect it to do any good but i have contacted my MP about this as i think it sends the wrong message to anyone thinking of visiting or investing in the UK

The issue of charging for UK Visa applications from Thailand in US Dollars may defy logic, but has been discussed at length over the years, please don't derail this thread into another discussion on the issue and stick to the original topic.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

43 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

I have been using scanners personally very recently and I speak from experience scanning four/six full medical records per day.

The bulk of the paperwork sent is made up of items specifically requested in their guidelines ie six months bank statements and copy of sponsors passport(full including blank pages).

I would love to send less documents but that is what they ask for when sponsoring a Visitor Visa.I would rather send 3/4 extra pages rather than have the ECO deny the visa saying one is missing.

After reading and re-reading the attached link in the OP, it seems to me that all that has really changed from a customer perspective is that supporting documents now need to be grouped in VFS's prefered fashion and that each group needs to be separated by a specific bar code page or separator. That doesn't seem too onerous, especially since we are still at liberty to supply A4 copies of those documents which will make for a single and neat stack of A4 paper.

I don't know what others do but I compile a single sheet attachment to my sponsor/partner letter which lists the documents we have provided and the number of pages of each one and I reference this in my cover letter - doing that confirms the number of pages submitted etc. since everything is cross-referenced.

We are also currently applying for wifes third visit visa to be submitted next week

After reading things through and following all the links there seems to be only one main new requirement.

That the supporting documents be grouped together into different sections. Each section must be presented in the correct sequential order , and ( as far as I can discern ) and separated by a specific bar code page pertaining to each section. This must be done by the applicant. ( bar codes are given on link in application )

Furthermore, the application and supporting documents must not be presented in any kind of folder or stapled together or laminated.

( maybe a paper clip is ok ? ) 

You are also required to download and complete a separate sheet naming in separate sections , the supporting documents you will be submitting. ( see attachment )

On interview day you are giver three premium options to ' improve your application experience '

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/user_pay_services.html#on-demand-mobile-visa

Ranging from Bronze....at 658 baht upto  Platinum for 43,700. ( the mugs option ? )

All in all , makes me ashamed to be British and at the mercy of such villains. 

document-checklist-info for uk visa.pdf

Whilst we are talking about it , am I the only person who finds the following questions in the application form totally inane ?

I mean....just how many miscreants have they snagged with these questions ?

' Yes...I was formally a front wheeling member of ISIS but I have put that all behind me and am now a member of the Salvation Army . I hope this will not prejudice my application . ( the sally army bit I mean )

bandicam 2018-06-05 21-08-52-697.jpg

I keep seeing the word 'biometrics' now pardon my ignorance but what does this basically equate to..the applicant has her/his finger prints taken?

Also, I get they want to see original docs, but we don't need to photocopy any of them at all..just originals, which will now get scanned and handed back on the day?

The way I read it is that A4 copies are acceptable, except in the case of the passport which must, of course, be the original. My plan is to copy and sequence everything, include the checklist and separators but to take along the originals as the backup, in case they are asked for.

10 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

I keep seeing the word 'biometrics' now pardon my ignorance but what does this basically equate to..the applicant has her/his finger prints taken?

Also, I get they want to see original docs, but we don't need to photocopy any of them at all..just originals, which will now get scanned and handed back on the day?

Biometric capture is, as you suggest, a digital scan of all ten fingers and digital photograph, this enables the Border Force officer at the UK Border to check that the person checking the passport at the border is the same person who was issued with the visas.
That's also how I read the presentation of documents, it seems that documents only need to be copied if they're not A4 size.

19 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Biometric capture is, as you suggest, a digital scan of all ten fingers and digital photograph, this enables the Border Force officer at the UK Border to check that the person checking the passport at the border is the same person who was issued with the visas.
That's also how I read the presentation of documents, it seems that documents only need to be copied if they're not A4 size.

Right ok, cheers.

Ref collecting your passport/visa (or not) how does that work now? Is the applicant notified it's ready to pick up then has to go to Trendy (no courier option available any longer?) and will they not know if they have the visa until they actually open the envelope?

The more I think about it, I wonder transferring responsibilities to New Delhi might turn out to be a stepping-stone to centralising visa application decision-making in the UK, just as has happened in the case of passport renewals (where responsibilities passed from the Bangkok Embassy to Hong Kong several years ago before being centralised in the UK in 2014).

After all, if it turns out that supporting docs can successfully be scanned and sent electronically to New Delhi, then why not to a UKVI office back in the UK eventually?

On 6/6/2018 at 9:58 AM, Pat in Pattaya said:

Ref collecting your passport/visa (or not) how does that work now? Is the applicant notified it's ready to pick up then has to go to Trendy (no courier option available any longer?) and will they not know if they have the visa until they actually open the envelope?

As far as I'm aware nothing will change in this respect, though they haven't detailed how things will actually operate.

At the present there is an automated process that when the ECO has made the decision, an email will be sent saying that.

The passport can be collected from Trendy, or sent from Trendy, a few days after that, I suspect that will not change, VFS don't know the result.

I'm led to believe, but don't know for sure, that the visa vingette will still be attached to the passport, or not depending on the decision, here in Bangkok. 

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

After all, if it turns out that supporting docs can successfully be scanned and sent electronically to New Delhi, then why not to a UKVI office back in the UK eventually?

I think you could well be right, most applications for Canadian and UAE Visas from Thailand, and maybe other countries, can be done online with the supporting documents being uploaded, I assume there would be an evisa in these cases with no visa vingette, similar to the visa my wife had for Dubai and Sri Lanka and me for Cambodia, Turkey and Sri Lanka. 

6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

As far as I'm aware nothing will change in this respect, though they haven't detailed how things will actually operate.

At the present there is an automated process that when the ECO has made the decision, an email will be sent saying that.

The passport can be collected from Trendy, or sent from Trendy, a few days after that, I suspect that will not change, VFS don't know the result.

I'm led to believe, but don't know for sure, that the visa vingette will still be attached to the passport, of not depending on the decision, here in Bangkok. 

Mmm, all a bit vague..so even the experts (like you) are not sure ?

if you want the passport couriered back is that to be requested and paid for during the application process? I am not in bkk..

15 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

if you want the passport couriered back is that to be requested and paid for during the application process? I am not in bkk.

Mmm, I've never claimed to be an expert, nobody will know the new procedure for sure until it's announced on the VFS website, the UKVI used to make announcements themselves, but no longer seem to do so.

Other countries process visa decision making in regional hubs, with the actual visa being attached locally.

The Courier Return Service, EMS, is requested and paid for when the documents are submitted at Trendy, I can't see that changing.

1 hour ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

if you want the passport couriered back is that to be requested and paid for during the application process? I am not in bkk..

Check the links given in post 14.

If you want your passport returned to you by post you can opt for one of the premium services. Cheapest is the bronze.

Just an update. My gf went today to vfs bangkok to submit vv papers for the uk.

originally her appointment was for the 11 June but we changed it to today as the papers I sent from the Uk arrived earlier.An e mail confirming the change of date was received.

Gf arrived at VFS  you cannot come in. Your appointment is for the 11th come back then,they had no record of the change of date and just refused to let her in!

only after a 4am phone call to me and a text copy of the email sent to her phone did they reluctantly let her in(because they said they were quiet)Unfortunatly due to time I was unable to post the confirmation of change of date to her( she does not have an e mail address)

This is not the first time that VFS have done this.booze up and brewery spring to mind

If you want your passport returned to you by post you can opt for one of the premium services. Cheapest is the bronze.
There’s no need to use one of the full premium services, you can just opt for the EMS return service on the day, currently less than 300 Baht.

11 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

There’s no need to use one of the full premium services, you can just opt for the EMS return service on the day, currently less than 300 Baht.

Yes....I read that as well. Apparently only 85 baht .

I'm still combing the official guide try to make sure I have understood things correctly. Slowly slowly catch the monkey.

A Link to Frequently asked questions by VFS Global :

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/frequently_asked_questions.html

Archived