Supporting documents for all UK Visas to be digitally scanned from 15 June.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I think you could well be right, most applications for Canadian and UAE Visas from Thailand, and maybe other countries, can be done online with the supporting documents being uploaded, I assume there would be an evisa in these cases with no visa vingette, similar to the visa my wife had for Dubai and Sri Lanka and me for Cambodia, Turkey and Sri Lanka. 

Coincidentally, I have come across the following newspaper article, from which, it would appear that UKVI may currently be recruiting extra staff to cope with an additional workload arising from the registration of EU nationals intending to stay in the UK after Brexit - albeit with difficulty in the case of their Sheffield office:-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4955330/whats-wrong-with-sheffield-home-office-struggles-to-recruit-staff-to-cope-with-brexit-because-workers-dont-want-to-move-to-northern-city/

Presumably these extra staff members will need to have something else to do once this additional workload dies down eventually - and then would appear to be a particularly suitable opportunity for visa application casework to be centralised in the UK, I would have thought.

Interestingly, unless it has changed today, there is no fee given for the "new" scanning service. The "old" scanning service (the one that didn't work, and lost many of the documents submitted, and resulted in many visa refusals) was charged at 2,000 THB.

Again, interestingly, the way the guidance reads, photocopies can now be submitted. It doesn't seem to say that originals must be shown at the time of submission at VFS. VFS are not trained to establish whether a document is genuine or not, and it looks like they will be able to accept copies. So, the ECO in Sheffield or New Delhi will be looking at a scan of a copy.  Well, for me that is totally irresponsible of the UKVI and the Home Office.  A forger's paradise !

There is something ambiguous about the application form. Once you have completed it and paid you come to this page :bandicam 2018-06-12 11-52-36-195.jpg

Ok....the downloading bit is clear but when you click on the register page you end up here :

bandicam 2018-06-12 11-54-27-012.jpg

After reading absolutely everything there is in fact nowhere to register as far as I can see.

Furthermore in step two ' how to apply '

step three here reminds you to bring your appointment letter ??bandicam 2018-06-12 11-54-12-850.jpg

So am I missing something ? What is this appointment letter and where can it be found ?

"So am I missing something ? What is this appointment letter and where can it be found "

You'll get access to the appointment letter once you've made the appointment, you do that where it highlights "book an appointment"

42 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

"So am I missing something ? What is this appointment letter and where can it be found "

You'll get access to the appointment letter once you've made the appointment, you do that where it highlights "book an appointment"

Already booked appointment which has been confirmed but not received a confirmation letter as such.

Ah well....Will just print what I have which has the appoint date on it

Thanks anyway.

P_20180612_142820_1_1_1.jpg

We're pulling together the documents needed to apply for a two year tourist visa for my partner, a couple of questions:

1) My partner has three previous passports, two of which are empty, is it necessary to copy all the pages in both?

2) As the sponsor I have a bank letter from UOB Thailand covering my assets here, do I need to photocopy all the bank books also, there's something like seven books covering fixed deposits?

Ta!

43 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

We're pulling together the documents needed to apply for a two year tourist visa for my partner, a couple of questions:

1) My partner has three previous passports, two of which are empty, is it necessary to copy all the pages in both?

2) As the sponsor I have a bank letter from UOB Thailand covering my assets here, do I need to photocopy all the bank books also, there's something like seven books covering fixed deposits?

Ta!

For the passports I would say no need to copy blank pages as they will not be looked at. We are also submitting two previous passports for scrutiny but I have only photocopied the photograph page and the pages containing previous UK visit pages. In the guidance notes there is nothing about a requirement to copy everything.

Bank books the same. If you turn up with a veritable mountain of unwanted paperwork it is probable they will not be pleased. As explained , in the new system , everything you submit will be copied and forwarded and most of your supporting documents will be returned to you. As they are busy ad have many applicants to see they are working under time pressure.

The above comments are only my opinion based on scrutinizing the application forms and guidance notes over the past week. In my opinion they are uneccasarily complicated and sometimes vague and contradictory.

Hope that helps..and good luck with your application.

We just submitted minimal docs last week for my wifes visit visa.

Brand new passport, didn't submit old passport. Copy of 2 of her bank books, as the one most used only had 41 baht left in the account. 1 land plot chanote and marriage certificate.

Also included a letter from me, stating I would cover all costs, my bank statement showing adequate funds and my passport copy.

That was it... Visa granted

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

1)  I personally would copy the blank pages as the ECO could be forgiven for thinking that the blank pages might contain evidence that could have an adverse effect on the application, maybe a refused visa, a denied entry or a removal.

2) I think you would be pretty safe with a detailed, recent, letter from the bank would suffice, I suspect yours will be a pretty straightforward application, for those whose applications are less so then maybe include copies of the book, though are we only talking about a further seven pages?

48 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

We just submitted minimal docs last week for my wifes visit visa.

Brand new passport, didn't submit old passport. Copy of 2 of her bank books, as the one most used only had 41 baht left in the account. 1 land plot chanote and marriage certificate.

Also included a letter from me, stating I would cover all costs, my bank statement showing adequate funds and my passport copy.

That was it... Visa granted

I think the minimalist approach is good. 

It doesn't hurt to take extra documentation and have it nearby but not actually submit it. If when they are checking your supporting documents they mention something extra you can then produce it from you ' reserve ' pile rather than having to go home and make another appointment.

With the passports we are taking the old ones with us for them to look at so that they can see there is nothing negative in them.

With regards to copying everything , the only time I have been asked for a color copy of my entire passport was when I applied for a new British passport there ( same office ) where under Thai law they cannot take away your passport as you are required to be in possesion of it at all times.

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

I think the minimalist approach is good. 

It doesn't hurt to take extra documentation and have it nearby but not actually submit it. If when they are checking your supporting documents they mention something extra you can then produce it from you ' reserve ' pile rather than having to go home and make another appointment.

With the passports we are taking the old ones with us for them to look at so that they can see there is nothing negative in them.

With regards to copying everything , the only time I have been asked for a color copy of my entire passport was when I applied for a new British passport there ( same office ) where under Thai law they cannot take away your passport as you are required to be in possesion of it at all times.

We applied for a UK Settlement visa years ago and whilst it was granted we never executed it and chose to remain here instead, the ECO wanted all blank pages of all passports at that time.

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Just to show that she has a regular income. Which goes a little way to show "intent to return" I guess...

Yes agreed, that's the important part, we're showing her car, house, job and salary for those reasons.

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

VFS staff won't need to look through old passports. You either submit them as part of your application package, or don't, that's your choice.

I just think the IO doing the application wants to see prove of "intent to return", adequate funds to support the trip and no adverse travel history ?? Providing the minimal amount of docs that cover those bases, seems the way to go IMHO !!

5 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

So you don't have to print off the application form and take with?

Yes ...you are required to print off the application form and take it with you to submit with your supporting documents. You are also required to download the supporting documents forms, fill them in, and submit with your application.

This is where they themselves seem to be confused by their own paperwork as there are now two varients of this supporting documents checklist. In post 31 I gave a link to the simple one which is on a single A4 piece of paper.

However....if you look at post 34 you will see that there is a screenshot of the last page of the online application form which requires you to download the supporting documents checklist.

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

We applied for a UK Settlement visa years ago and whilst it was granted we never executed it and chose to remain here instead, the ECO wanted all blank pages of all passports at that time.

For a settlement visa yes. Visit visa no. With our previous visits to the UK we never copied the entire passport.

As others have said before, what they really want is strong evidence that the Thai applicant will return to Thailand. 

22 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes ...you are required to print off the application form and take it with you to submit with your supporting documents. You are also required to download the supporting documents forms, fill them in, and submit with your application.

This is where they themselves seem to be confused by their own paperwork as there are now two varients of this supporting documents checklist. In post 31 I gave a link to the simple one which is on a single A4 piece of paper.

However....if you look at post 34 you will see that there is a screenshot of the last page of the online application form which requires you to download the supporting documents checklist.

This truly is massively confusing.

What on earth is 'supporting documents forms'? Surely you just print off the application forms then add any supporting docs?

10 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

This truly is massively confusing.

What on earth is 'supporting documents forms'? Surely you just print off the application forms then add any supporting docs?

If you fill in the online application you will plough through its many pages , filling in answers. Eventually you get to the end of it and are led to this page :

bandicam 2018-06-12 11-52-36-195.jpg

Two of these requirements require you to make downloads.

The third requires you to go and register by clicking on the register button. Well....good luck with that one because when you click on it you are led on a merry chase to nowhere. I have scoured that link thoroughly and there is nothing to register in it, no matter how many of the links you follow.

Confusing indeed.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

If you fill in the online application you will plough through its many pages , filling in answers. Eventually you get to the end of it and are led to this page :

bandicam 2018-06-12 11-52-36-195.jpg

That says supp docs checklist, that is no the same as a form (a form suggests that you have to complete something)

5 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

That says supp docs checklist, that is no the same as a form (a form suggests that you have to complete something)

Download it and fill it in. Its an easy one although not as easy as the A4 version.

Just several pages with boxes to tick.

Actually I have just spotted an error on my part. You DO NOT need to download the application form except for your own records. My bad....sorry about that.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

VFS staff won't need to look through old passports. You either submit them as part of your application package, or don't, that's your choice.

I just think the IO doing the application wants to see prove of "intent to return", adequate funds to support the trip and no adverse travel history ?? Providing the minimal amount of docs that cover those bases, seems the way to go IMHO !!

Any adverse travel history will be in the previous passports, the ECO could be forgiven for believing there may be adverse travel history if old passports were not submitted or, if only copies were submitted, some pages were left out. 

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Any adverse travel history will be in the previous passports, the ECO could be forgiven for believing there may be adverse travel history if old passports were not submitted or, if only copies were submitted, some pages were left out. 

I'm sure the U.K also holds all adverse travel history on their computers... I always state in my letter of invite, that she has had several visas for different countries, none of which has ever been abused or overstayed.. Not sure if it helps or not ?

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm sure the U.K also holds all adverse travel history on their computers... I always state in my letter of invite, that she has had several visas for different countries, none of which has ever been abused or overstayed.. Not sure if it helps or not ?

Yes, if  the applicant has already been to the UK several times  and they have already established that there is no adverse travel history it is likely that they already have this information on file.

17 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes, if  the applicant has already been to the UK several times  and they have already established that there is no adverse travel history it is likely that they already have this information on file.

17 minutes ago, Denim said:

So sling in the old PP or not?

I assume there is little point in submitting copies of old UK stamps as they could be from any passport?

Archived