Hotel Raids continue in South Pattaya

sam neuts

8 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

We are trying to help people understand that there are things that they should be doing to help themselves.

Who is "we" ??

8 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

I am happy to give information on the actual law on this forum and any other groups, but I really think that if enough people take an interest it may help us all.

Please tell us which information you give us that was not already on this forum ?

IMHO you just copied or reformulated what we already read in other posts or articles.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sam neuts said:

There is an exemption for a certain property type for a particular situation.

The attachment contains the 2016 Amendment to the Hotel Act.

As you can see the amendment applies to most properties and buildings.

Yes I do know what the exemption certificate is, and that it is available under a certain condition.

I am not willing to let everyone know at this time, but I am sure if people are interested they will do some research and keep the interest going in this topic.

I have a few more interesting topics to discuss with everyone to.

Amendment to Hotel Act On 19 August 2016.docx

When I open your link all that comes up is a half page document that lists rooms only and rooms with food service and then describes  3 building types.  Nothing about exemptions, year 2021 deadline, etc.  Is the half page all there is to the amendment?

21 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

Did you read the Hotel Act amendment 2016 I posted?

I don't think I saw that on any other board, but I didn't check.

As you like to say: Maybe you should search on Google ? :whistling:

Seriously, there has been many articles - mainly end of 2016 - on this amendment. Important media all talked about it. There was by example an article on BangkokPost the 14 October 2016 "Hotel rules refined as new accommodation options emerge" (but link not authorised on ThaiVisa…) and at the same period you could already find the descriptive of this amendment here: Small Hotels, The Rights to be Legitimate.

13 minutes ago, newnative said:

When I open your link all that comes up is a half page document that lists rooms only and rooms with food service and then describes  3 building types.  Nothing about exemptions, year 2021 deadline, etc.  Is the half page all there is to the amendment?

Its only part of the entire document.

Most information on the internet including law firms have the Hotel Act 2004 information which has an exemption for buildings with 5 rooms or less and under 20 guests. The amendment changed this.

I want people to do some of their own research and then decide themselves.

A visit to your District Office should be worth the effort if you are operating a business in Thailand.

Better than everyone telling me how wrong I am. Go find out. PLEASE

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

As you like to say: Maybe you should search on Google ? :whistling:

Seriously, there has been many articles - mainly end of 2016 - on this amendment. Important media all talked about it. There was by example an article on BangkokPost the 14 October 2016 "Hotel rules refined as new accommodation options emerge" (but link not authorised on ThaiVisa…) and at the same period you could already find the descriptive of this amendment here: Small Hotels, The Rights to be Legitimate.

Thanks

I am not trying to wind people up and be awkward but this is a big problem and everyone is pretending its not happening.

Do your own research and you will be able to help others with information.

Our FB group has only just started but we are getting as much information as possible together, in one place, so we can really look at it and see how this affects so many people.

4 hours ago, sam neuts said:

Thanks

I am not trying to wind people up and be awkward but this is a big problem and everyone is pretending its not happening.

Do your own research and you will be able to help others with information.

Our FB group has only just started but we are getting as much information as possible together, in one place, so we can really look at it and see how this affects so many people.

One thing that stood out that I don't understand at the beginning it Hotel Act 2016 stated that it applied only to buildings built prior 1979 is the way I read it. Anyway the key is ROOMS TO RENT.

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

One thing that stood out that I don't understand at the beginning it Hotel Act 2016 stated that it applied only to buildings built prior 1979 is the way I read it. Anyway the key is ROOMS TO RENT.

It is a confusing law, as many here.

The real key is to check with your District Office because there are a number of businesses that used to offer daily rentals, and now only offer monthly rentals.

Beware of the information on lawyers websites regarding the 5 room 20 guest exemption.

Type 1 buildings are buildings of 2 floors or less and 10 rooms or less. That is the amendment that will affect so many.

I am not talking about big hotels. I am talking about rooms over bars, small guesthouses, villa rentals and all other short term accommodation.

There is a reason for them changing or closing their company's.

It is not because they want to lose hundreds of thousands of THB per month, lay off staff, close or change their business to 30 day + rentals.

It is because it is the law, and the fines can be very high.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, KittenKong said:

Why aren't they raiding more condo buildings? Most of them have many illegal short-term rentals happening and the scope for arrests is huge.

They can start with my building if they like.

Phone them

Just now, The manic said:

Phone them

Many residents are calling to report daily rentals at condos.

Many don't like strangers coming and going all night, for a few days, and then another lot.

There is no denying. The law is there for a reason whether you like it or not.

23 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

It is a confusing law, as many here.

The real key is to check with your District Office because there are a number of businesses that used to offer daily rentals, and now only offer monthly rentals.

Beware of the information on lawyers websites regarding the 5 room 20 guest exemption.

Type 1 buildings are buildings of 2 floors or less and 10 rooms or less. That is the amendment that will affect so many.

I am not talking about big hotels. I am talking about rooms over bars, small guesthouses, villa rentals and all other short term accommodation.

There is a reason for them changing or closing their company's.

It is not because they want to lose hundreds of thousands of THB per month, lay off staff, close or change their business to 30 day + rentals.

It is because it is the law, and the fines can be very high.

Excuse me but you failed to address my question.

IMHO if you follow the money I don't think this will have any more legs than in the past. Thai families that have busted ass for many years, maybe hundreds of thousands of them are going to be very pissed off. The owners of the buildings that lease out to people  running the businesses will no longer be collecting rent, the demand for these buildings will take a nose dive. Many of these people are wealthy and will likewise be very pissed off. And as always the RTP can't even enforce a simple helmet law. The backlash will end this in its tracks. Another forum and a guy from CM claims 400 guesthouses shut down there in the last week. Not a peep about it in the news. Whats up with that.

I do believe the condo deal may happen. Noticed many listings at the base sold out totally for far into the future so I think many are holding back to see what happens. 

13 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Excuse me but you failed to address my question.

IMHO if you follow the money I don't think this will have any more legs than in the past. Thai families that have busted ass for many years, maybe hundreds of thousands of them are going to be very pissed off. The owners of the buildings that lease out to people  running the businesses will no longer be collecting rent, the demand for these buildings will take a nose dive. Many of these people are wealthy and will likewise be very pissed off. And as always the RTP can't even enforce a simple helmet law. The backlash will end this in its tracks. Another forum and a guy from CM claims 400 guesthouses shut down there in the last week. Not a peep about it in the news. Whats up with that.

I do believe the condo deal may happen. Noticed many listings at the base sold out totally for far into the future so I think many are holding back to see what happens. 

I know the media isn't publishing much but we have found loads of information on places that have been raided.

I understand people also cant believe the new amendment, but I do know of businesses that have changed their policy. I just don't want to mention them without their permission.

11 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

I know the media isn't publishing much but we have found loads of information on places that have been raided.

I understand people also cant believe the new amendment, but I do know of businesses that have changed their policy. I just don't want to mention them without their permission.

if you check in the Chiang Mai forum you will see more on this, Chiang Mai has been affected on a huge scale. many protests and meetings organized. 

7 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

Sorry Bud, Not buying that. Guy claims 400 guesthouses closed down in CM and not a single news brief. Some vast conspiracy with the media involved that has silenced thousands of people effected.

And you still didn't address my question

19 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Sorry Bud, Not buying that. Guy claims 400 guesthouses closed down in CM and not a single news brief. Some vast conspiracy with the media involved that has silenced thousands of people effected.

And you still didn't address my question

I didn't claim that. Must have been another post.

Sorry, What was your question?

gets confusing with so many different ones coming from everywhere.

14 minutes ago, cmsally said:

if you check in the Chiang Mai forum you will see more on this, Chiang Mai has been affected on a huge scale. many protests and meetings organized. 

Pure Insanity. Many 3rd world governments create these catch-22 regulations so they can get greased under the table. I just don't see the logic behind it but then again this is Thailand where they are talking about closing down Phuket island. If the government actually follows through with this on a larger scale it will be time to get out of dodge. This will be interesting.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/hundreds-small-medium-hotels-closed-police-chiang-mai-crackdown/

23 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I have been trying to get people to search forums and the internet because I am not sure which links I am allowed to post, which ones I am not and in the meantime my notification box has been like getting hit with 100 questions at once.

Yes, i know a lot of different places are having trouble and a lot is because the law is difficult to understand, and information is sparse.

The 2016 amendment is the thing that seems to have brought the problem up and it is being enforced.

2 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Pure Insanity. Many 3rd world governments create these catch-22 regulations so they can get greased under the table. I just don't see the logic behind it but then again this is Thailand where they are talking about closing down Phuket island. If the government actually follows through with this on a larger scale it will be time to get out of dodge. This will be interesting.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/hundreds-small-medium-hotels-closed-police-chiang-mai-crackdown/

That is why I started the discussion.

Apologies that there was already a discussion about it and I started another one. Can they be joined together?

Everyone thinks that I am trying to GET something but I am just trying to raise awareness and offer any FREE information I can.

I do know some about the subject because I know people that are personally affected, and have had a number of problems. I just don't want to give the names of them, or their businesses. 

5 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

That is why I started the discussion.

Apologies that there was already a discussion about it and I started another one. Can they be joined together?

Everyone thinks that I am trying to GET something but I am just trying to raise awareness and offer any FREE information I can.

I do know some about the subject because I know people that are personally affected, and have had a number of problems. I just don't want to give the names of them, or their businesses. 

Yes, this is a rather large can of worms they have opened. The real problem is lack of enforcement for decades gave these businesses legitimacy if not legality. Legitimacy in Thailand seems to prevail in most all sectors of this society as legality and rule of law is pretty much optional as are the penalties in many cases. Sure doesn't bode well for foreign investment. The hotel lobby here must be packing some serious sway.

2 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Yes, this is a rather large can of worms they have opened. The real problem is lack of enforcement for decades gave these businesses legitimacy if not legality. Legitimacy in Thailand seems to prevail in most all sectors of this society as legality and rule of law is pretty much optional as are the penalties in many cases. Sure doesn't bode well for foreign investment. The hotel lobby here must be packing some serious sway.

Yeah and although lots of places are affected, not many seem to think it is worth discussing.

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Uh oh.....I expect a firesale at the Base soon. Maybe 1.2mil for high floor ocean view.....

This will be one of the effects.

Condominium investment for short term rental is no longer feasible.

I am sure there are lots of investors who are already in it.

What happens to the construction companies, staff, builders merchants? The list is endless.

The raids seem to be focused on hotels for now, it's low hanging fruits, there's always managers to arrest, hotels to close down. Raiding AirBnB condos will be difficult, actual co-owners not present, they're not gonna kick out the hapless tourist caught up in this.

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

The raids seem to be focused on hotels for now, it's low hanging fruits, there's always managers to arrest, hotels to close down. Raiding AirBnB condos will be difficult, actual co-owners not present, they're not gonna kick out the hapless tourist caught up in this.

Yeah. For now.

That is my point.

It was bars and rooms with signs out for daily rent last week in Soi 17 South Pattaya, and a few small guesthouse/hotel type buildings.

11 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Uh oh.....I expect a firesale at the Base soon. Maybe 1.2mil for high floor ocean view.....

I'm not sure you'd want one even at those prices after the Chinese have had their way with the unit.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, dabhand said:

So, those providing hourly room rentals are not included in this crackdown.

Well, that's a relief.:smile:

Are there any 10-15 minute versions??

I must have missed that one. What was/is the reason for this "registration frenzie"?

- To make tax-collection easier?
- To establish a minimum "building-safety code"?
- Do the international hotel-chains want the small competition out of the way? (Enabeling them to increase room rates massively).

Can somebody fill me in? Unless somebody can furnish a viable explanation that this would be of benefit to the Thai Economy and in particular the small Thai business owner, I remain firm with my theory that I have outlined in my post # 14.
Cheers.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

I must have missed that one. What was/is the reason for this "registration frenzie"?

- To make tax-collection easier?
- To establish a minimum "building-safety code"?
- Do the international hotel-chains want the small competition out of the way? (Enabeling them to increase room rates massively).

Can somebody fill me in? Unless somebody can furnish a viable explanation that this would be of benefit to the Thai Economy and in particular the small Thai business owner, I remain firm with my theory that I have outlined in my post # 14.
Cheers.

A & C.  Would be time better spent on highway safety. This deal is a no-win.

Archived