BANGKOK
sam neuts

Hotel Raids continue in South Pattaya

5 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

That depends on a number of factors including the building, location, number of rooms, building codes, environmental impact and more......Ask at your District Office not City Hall.

My attorney has a friend that works there and he will get back with me pm. Will let you know what he comes up with. In any case it might give me a quick exit strategy from this country, too much drama with this government. It kinda makes one understand how a Hispanic immigrant feels in the U.S.

• Like 1

The number of Hotels with a Licence in Pattaya is around 300. The tourist numbers are around 7 million. Please Thailand Hotel Association, do the maths and tell us where people will stay.

Its possibly an "assets grab"..like we saw with the "zero baht" tour bus companies.

12 minutes ago, johng said:

Its possibly an "assets grab"..like we saw with the "zero baht" tour bus companies.

explain please

54 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

My attorney has a friend that works there and he will get back with me pm. Will let you know what he comes up with. In any case it might give me a quick exit strategy from this country, too much drama with this government. It kinda makes one understand how a Hispanic immigrant feels in the U.S.

Please let us all know. But, I really suggest people visit themselves and get their business inspected rather than relying on second hand information. The word of a friend won't help if your business is inspected.

Thanks for taking enough interest to at least do some research.

Good luck.

Just now, sam neuts said:

Please let us all know. But, I really suggest people visit themselves and get their business inspected rather than relying on second hand information. The word of a friend won't help if your business is inspected.

Thanks for taking enough interest to at least do some research.

Good luck.

Sorry I forgot. Don't forget to mention the 2016 amendment that was passed . Don't rely on the original Hotel Act with the 5 room less than 20 exemption. It was changed with the August 19th amendment.

We checked with 2 different lawyers who were not able to give the correct information.

3 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

Sorry I forgot. Don't forget to mention the 2016 amendment that was passed . Don't rely on the original Hotel Act with the 5 room less than 20 exemption. It was changed with the August 19th amendment.

We checked with 2 different lawyers who were not able to give the correct information.

Question is will the hotel license office be up to date on the 5 rooms or less?

3 hours ago, sam neuts said:

Unfortunately many many businesses think it doesn't affect them because of the previous "under 5 rooms and less than 20 guests" exemption. This no longer applies and ALL rooms for daily/weekly rental require either the licence or exemption certificate clearly displayed at the entrance to the room/building. 

Do you mean it does still apply but you need to get a government department to inspect the premises and issue an exemption certificate?

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

explain please

one example

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

It kinda makes one understand how a Hispanic immigrant feels in the U.S.

If the RTP accuse you of being a rapist and bad hombre you better make a run for it now.....

• Haha 1

Corruption afoot, once they have shut down the little man, watch the large hotel operators prices soar. They’re a shower of shit well we know that anyway 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Question is will the hotel license office be up to date on the 5 rooms or less?

I do know someone who requested their villas to be inspected, even though they had sought legal advice and informed that the villas were operating legally.

It was a 4 bedroom villa.

A visit to the District Office and a request for an inspection which was also done by City Hall, as the owner had read one of my previous articles about the amendment and was concerned about a law that can cost you 10,000+ THB per day since the amendment became law, if they prove you have been operating illegally.

And the main reason was that they had every licence that was available, paid tax, paid city hall licences and other than the Hotel Act amendment, had a perfectly legal business.

They didn't want to operate an illegal business.

CONFIRMED. A licence is required.

Business CLOSED for daily rentals.

2 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

Corruption afoot, once they have shut down the little man, watch the large hotel operators prices soar. They’re a shower of shit well we know that anyway 

If business owners research and check with authorities it saves the shock of a raid and being arrested.

We all know that enforcement will eventually take place.

No-one ever used to get stopped for riding without a motorcycle helmet a few years ago. But now most wear a helmet and if you don't, you have a good chance of being stopped.

Times are changing.

4 hours ago, sam neuts said:

> > They have raided a number of condominium buildings and are inspecting all buildings.

> Also could you please give a few names of these Pattaya condominium already "raided" ?

I am not here to post about individual buildings. All the information is available if you search Google or Facebook. I am here because it is a subject that I am fairly knowledge about and have some advice and ideas that may help.

As I am apparently too stupid to find this information by myself on Google, could someone please enlighten me on which Pattaya condos have been raided for this "no less than 30 days rental" rule ?

Even if I follow this forum news, I do not remember of any condo that would have decided to stop short term rental after a raid... :unsure:

19 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

How can they check condos ? Are they visiting each of their hundred of rooms and asking people inside to prove for their status and length of stay ? Seems Mission Impossible to me... :unsure:

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Browse to booking.com, airbnb or equivalent, type in name of condo. There are pictures and details of rooms offered for less than one month. Print. Go to juristic person of said condo and have them surrender room numbers and names of owners. Mission very possible.

I really doubt that in most condos the management could identify a unit just from the Ad details and a few pictures, mainly in the recent condos who are delivered fully furnished and where all units are very similar...

I will keep this topic informed if ever my condo is "raided", but I think you may have to wait a very long time... :unsure:

• Like 1

Maybe the amendment will help some to understand the law and check their legal status.

Look at the building types.

On 19 August 2016, Thailand’s Ministry of Interior Ministerial Regulation Prescribing Descriptions of Other Types of Building Used for a Hotel Business Operation 2016 under the Building Control Act (1979) (the “MR”), became effective.

The MR will remain in effect for five years. However, it applies only to buildings that existed before it came into force and whose owners desire to use the property as “Hotel” (as defined by the Hotel Act) with either:

(a) rooms only;

or

(b) rooms and food service/restaurant facilities.

The three categories of buildings that are eligible for this re-classification are as follows:

Type 1: a building with not more than two floors and not more than 10 rooms;

Type 2: a building that is not a Type 1 building and which does not have more than twenty rooms;

and
Type 3: a building that is not a Type 1 building and which does have more than twenty rooms.

The MR liberalizes the various Hotel usage-building requirements under the BCA for these types of buildings. For example:

BUILDING TYPE  OLD REGULATIONS UNDER THE MR    
Minimum open/unused space    
Type
1, 2, and 3 Equivalent to 30% of “the area of the largest floor of the building”
(MR. No. 55 Clause 33) Equivalent to 10% of “the area of the largest floor of the building“    
Minimum width of the walkway    
Type 1 1.5 M
(MR. No. 55 Clause 21) 1 M    
Type 2   1.2 M    
Type 3   1.5 M    
Minimum width of stairs    
Type 1 1.2 – 1.5 M
Based on area of the upper floor
(MR. No. 55 Clause 24) 0.9 M    
Type 2   N/A    
Type 3   N/A    
Minimum Live Load    
Type 1 200kg/SQ M
(MR No.6) 150 KG/ SQ M    
Type 2   200 KG/ SQ M    
Type 3   200 KG/ SQ M  

An application to change the usage a building to a hotel under the BCA must be completed within five years from the date the MR came into force.

However, if the building requires structural modification before applying to change its usage to a hotel, that application (or notification under Section 39(bis) of the BCA) must be filed within two years.

And it should be noted the building must still comply with other BCA regulations regarding hotel usage, in force at the time the building was originally constructed (or altered), regarding such matters as the building’s height, setback, and parking.