Hotel Raids continue in South Pattaya

sam neuts

10 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

My friend does have an interest in a guesthouse though in a far out of the way place but it does directly affect her. I really felt for what BestB went through and it was a terrible thing to happen and feel really sorry that he was just working away and then all happened. I am just trying to gauge the situation and was following Sam's fbook etc but I look at a post and say "That is bad news" then I see the article is from February". As mentioned, do hope will all just blow over like other measures.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Has not blown over yet, but most is unreported.

Being away out of the way helps but does not guarantee safety, they do scan bookings sites like agoda, booking,etc

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ongoing in Chiang Mai, although a lot of places displaying (closed) signs and still open. The lack of news in the local (or national Thai press) is noticeable. To be honest the situation is not dissimilar to Myanmar in many respects.

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

Ongoing in Chiang Mai, although a lot of places displaying signs and still open. The lack of news in the local (or national Thai press) is noticeable. To be honest the situation is not dissimilar to Myanmar in many respects.

Can also confirm with certainty Pattaya is ongoing.

The only reason we can come up with is that it is a high level "directive". Of course we know its a law too, but laws as we know are often not executed. Directives on the other hand (in the present climate) often are. My only take on this would be to say, at the moment, only the best chess players survive.

The only reason we can come up with is that it is a high level "directive". Of course we know its a law too, but laws as we know are often not executed. Directives on the other hand (in the present climate) often are. My only take on this would be to say, at the moment, only the best chess players survive.
I think there is too much money involved for them not to continue.

The government have a big problem with many OTA's earning millions of dollars, and paying no tax.

There is also the problem with unregistered busineses, and again tax revenue.

Then there is the security issue with many rental rooms not submitting TM30.

Then you have the hotels that are paying and operating correctly along with the Hotel Association who are unhappy.

With condominiums you had unhappy residents and management.
Condotels are fully legal.

There are so many side subjects that surround this subject, and if they continue doing what they are doing, they will get control back and be able to solve many issues at the same time.

The main problem is for the small business. They have set the bar at an impossible height for them to get the required licence.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

I think there is too much money involved for them not to continue.

The government have a big problem with many OTA's earning millions of dollars, and paying no tax.

There is also the problem with unregistered busineses, and again tax revenue.

Then there is the security issue with many rental rooms not submitting TM30.

Then you have the hotels that are paying and operating correctly along with the Hotel Association who are unhappy.

With condominiums you had unhappy residents and management.
Condotels are fully legal.

There are so many side subjects that surround this subject, and if they continue doing what they are doing, they will get control back and be able to solve many issues at the same time.

The main problem is for the small business. They have set the bar at an impossible height for them to get the required licence.

All valid reasoning, The smart way to deal with this would be to have different classifications and licensing, to ensure all pay tax, instead of closing down 90%

Defeats the whole purpose otherwise.

With OTA's they have no one else to blame but themselves for allowing for this kind of set up, a loophole if you wish.

All OTA's are registered in Singapore paying taxes there, here they have support admin offices, with no tax to pay.

Would be wiser choice to close this loophole and start getting tax from OTA's and hotels, instead of putting all out of business.

I do not think they will get any control back, if anything they will create so many problems with spiraling domino effect that there will be no way to fix it or rectify it.

Imagine country such as Thailand and its type of tourist with ONLY expansive hotels around? 

OTA's may well pull out of Thai market as it will no longer be profitable and then what?

All valid reasoning, The smart way to deal with this would be to have different classifications and licensing, to ensure all pay tax, instead of closing down 90%

Defeats the whole purpose otherwise.

With OTA's they have no one else to blame but themselves for allowing for this kind of set up, a loophole if you wish.

All OTA's are registered in Singapore paying taxes there, here they have support admin offices, with no tax to pay.

Would be wiser choice to close this loophole and start getting tax from OTA's and hotels, instead of putting all out of business.

I do not think they will get any control back, if anything they will create so many problems with spiraling domino effect that there will be no way to fix it or rectify it.

Imagine country such as Thailand and its type of tourist with ONLY expansive hotels around? 

OTA's may well pull out of Thai market as it will no longer be profitable and then what?
I agree there are plenty of better ways for all concerned at the higher levels.

Unfortunately the small business owners are the ones suffering sleepless nights and anxious days.

Now in UK for example if you want to rent your house out daily you would have to comply with certain regulations but not to the extent of having to get the same licence as a hotel.
If you failed to pass the inspections you would have to close eventually and you would incur fines.
You would not be thrown into jail or shackled for your infringement.
https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/commercial-property/guide-to-short-stay-letting

6 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

Now in UK for example if you want to rent your house out daily you would have to comply with certain regulations but not to the extent of having to get the same licence as a hotel.
If you failed to pass the inspections you would have to close eventually and you would incur fines.
You would not be thrown into jail or shackled for your infringement.
https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/commercial-property/guide-to-short-stay-letting

Its totally illogical and pretty much idiotic, if not borderline retarded to be legal to rent by the month but the very same place can not be rented daily and considered illegal.

If Hotel is too big of a word for hotel license, can always create "lodging" license, charge just as much as hotel license, and problem solved.

In every country in the world have specific regulations regarding hotels and rentals, but any place that is considered legal for 30 days would be just as legal for daily in the rest of the clear thinking world.

Then of course punishment to fit the crime. For driving without a license being a danger for others, they charge you 500 baht and let you keep on driving putting lifes in danger, but for not having newly created paper, no danger to anyone, they jail and handcuff you.

Moronic comes to mind ?

24 minutes ago, BestB said:

Tide is turning? Brains starting to work? Even HA president managed to use her brain

Damage, reputation and uncertainty for travellers, now that international press picks it up, must be enormous. Sure they will find some way of regulating this sensibly. Yes, safety of tourists should be a priority. I feel fire safety is a major issue here looking at the messy infrastructures and frequent electrical fires. MS>

8 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Damage, reputation and uncertainty for travellers, now that international press picks it up, must be enormous. Sure they will find some way of regulating this sensibly. Yes, safety of tourists should be a priority. I feel fire safety is a major issue here looking at the messy infrastructures and frequent electrical fires. MS>

This was never about safety .

monthly rentals are legal and safe , but daily unsafe???

1 hour ago, sam neuts said:

It is about MONEY. BIG MONEY

Very unsure about that...

The "team" that currently make daily checks on guesthouses and small hotels in Pattaya is a mixed team of officers of several governmental organisation, including at least one officer of the Immigration... 

Also, on Pattaya forums, it has been reported that several guesthouses - despite the fact that they were acting as hotels (daily, weekly) - have not be fined and were authorised to continue their business "as before". These guesthouses all were registered, were paying taxes,  had emergency exits/stairs and were reporting daily each new costumer to the Immigration

Seems that reasons of this crackdown could be: 

1. taxes  (for a fair competition with registered hotels who pay them) 
  2. safety  (places acting like hotels must respect strict hotels safety rules, as everywhere)
  3. reducing number of places were "undesirable people" could live/hide. 

In case I have missed it, sorry for unnecessary post. Otherwise:

As Tourism is a major factor within the Thai-Economy, why is it that the TAT has not commented on this "Hotel-License-Business"?
At the end of the day, the TAT (and Mr. Prajut possibly) will prove to be they "key-player"(s) in this game.

Not commenting on the subject by the TAT (of all institutions, concerning tourism), is the true scandal within this scandal.
Cheers.

Just now, swissie said:

As Tourism is a major factor within the Thai-Economy, why is it that the TAT has not commented on this "Hotel-License-Business"?
At the end of the day, the TAT (and Mr. Prajut possibly) will prove to be they "key-player"(s) in this game.

Not commenting on the subject by the TAT (of all institutions, concerning tourism), is the true scandal within this scandal.
Cheers.

Probably been given a direct order to keep it buttoned tight.

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

They have already and supported Hotel association and the crackdowns, but once their little brain has started to work and they understood what the bigger picture was, they went silent and went back to promoting huge number of tourists who just keep on growing.

Also note, TAT also released statement saying they are willing to assist hotels with complying financially. sadly did not clarify how they plan to move roads and surrounding buildings away from hotels in need ?

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

They have already and supported Hotel association and the crackdowns, but once their little brain has started to work and they understood what the bigger picture was, they went silent and went back to promoting huge number of tourists who just keep on growing.

Also note, TAT also released statement saying they are willing to assist hotels with complying financially. sadly did not clarify how they plan to move roads and surrounding buildings away from hotels in need ?

Thanks for info. I missed that one.

- If there is any freedom of press left, coulden't a reporter wave a microphone in front of this lovely TAT Head-Lady, asking her: "Madam could you give us the latest concerning this matter? 35 million Tourists would like to know!"

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Very unsure about that...

The "team" that currently make daily checks on guesthouses and small hotels in Pattaya is a mixed team of officers of several governmental organisation, including at least one officer of the Immigration... 

Also, on Pattaya forums, it has been reported that several guesthouses - despite the fact that they were acting as hotels (daily, weekly) - have not be fined and were authorised to continue their business "as before". These guesthouses all were registered, were paying taxes,  had emergency exits/stairs and were reporting daily each new costumer to the Immigration

Seems that reasons of this crackdown could be: 

1. taxes  (for a fair competition with registered hotels who pay them) 
  2. safety  (places acting like hotels must respect strict hotels safety rules, as everywhere)
  3. reducing number of places were "undesirable people" could live/hide. 

I am sorry to say, but you are incorrect pretty much through out the entire post.

Raids are carried out by Tourist police, army and people from amphur. Immigration and RTP are not involved at all

They are not checking ANYTHING about taxes, safety or anything else.

Their one and only objective is if a place has hotel license and nothing else.

No inspections or audits or evidence is asked or sought.

Those who were raided but allowed to remain open managed to hide evidence of daily rentals and if no evidence is found, they can not be arrested or charged.It had ZERO to do with paying  taxes or staircases or reporting to immigration.

Point 2 of your post is really humorous. Most if not all places are allowed to operate legally doing monthly rentals, so if hotel/guesthouse/ house or whatever it is is safe and approved to operate as "hotel" with monthly rentals, there is no reason why it would be unsafe for daily rentals.

Just now, swissie said:

Thanks for info. I missed that one.

- If there is any freedom of press left, coulden't a reporter wave a microphone in front of this lovely TAT Head-Lady, asking her: "Madam could you give us the latest concerning this matter? 35 million Tourists would like to know!"

Cheers.

They all singing the same song, using big words "illegal hotels" which sounds terrible and people generally agree that "illegal hotels" should not be allowed to operate.

What is NOT explained, is that the only thing that makes them illegal is lack of hotel license which allows daily rentals. As all "illegal hotels" were, they are all fully legal to offer monthly rentals

This is just nonsense all of it , I have booked a weekend trip to Bangkok again on AirBNB,

Good reviews posted online the last few days from happy short term tenants . :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, BestB said:

I am sorry to say, but you are incorrect pretty much through out the entire post.

Thank you for that :tongue:, but FYI I was speaking with a farang "owner" on Soi Buakhao while the team was checking "his" guesthouse books, and I know what I saw :whistling:. Also this team doesn't come randomly or unprepared; they had a file with documents and listings about the place.

Things seem to be better this week as a new "guesthouse license" is now available at Pattaya City Hall and places who got them are authorised to continue their business as usual :smile: (so including weekly or daily renting).

Thank you for that :tongue:, but FYI I was speaking with a farang "owner" on Soi Buakhao while the team was checking "his" guesthouse books, and I know what I saw :whistling:. Also this team doesn't come randomly or unprepared; they had a file with documents and listings about the place.

Things seem to be better this week as a new "guesthouse license" is now available at Pattaya City Hall and places who got them are authorised to continue their business as usual [emoji2] (so including weekly or daily renting).
Can you give details of the guesthouse licence being issued by City Hall. Very good for many businesses, if it is a way of trading without a hotel licence.

21 minutes ago, sam neuts said:

Can you give details of the guesthouse licence being issued by City Hall. Very good for many businesses, if it is a way of trading without a hotel licence.

Didn't saw it myself yet, but by example several guesthouses on Soi 6 announced on Pattaya forums that they got one and that booking was re-opened and advertising/sign re-displayed.

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Things seem to be better this week as a new "guesthouse license" is now available at Pattaya City Hall and places who got them are authorised to continue their business as usual :smile: (so including weekly or daily renting).

Nice imagination , I was raided and willing to bet owner was not speaking with you while he was raided and there are no new guesthouse licenses , there are exclusions

being issue.

not too sure if spreading false and inaccurate information is a good idea 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Nice imagination , I was raided and willing to bet owner was not speaking with you while he was raided and there are no new guesthouse licenses , there are exclusions being issue.

not too sure if spreading false and inaccurate information is a good idea 

- I put owner in "quotes" as officially - as often - he is not the owner. His wife was inside with the team.

- false information?? I think you may be able to read this post on Pattaya-Addicts without login : Sexy in the City - Guest House Soi 6  post #81. It's just an example of the guesthouse license I talked about: "That has now been resolved and a new guest house license is available which we now have and we are openly booking and advertising again. Everything is good and we welcome you to resume booking."

Archived