Curved screen is it a pro or a con?

I am looking at two phones currently with similar specs. One of them has the curved screen edges like the fancy Samsung...

From what I have heard the curved screen is more likely to get broken and is way more money to fix. Also How do you get a glass screen protector for one?

I am seriously considered paying 2000 baht more and going for the one without the curved screen.

Any thoughts

11 minutes ago, johng said:

I would go with the normal flat screen for all the reason you mention...but why would a curved one be 2000 baht cheaper ?

They are two different brands Redmi and Umidigi. The Umidigi has the curved screen but it is 2000 cheaper than the the Redmi on the sites I was looking at. I would buy the Umidigi right away, except I am concerned about the screen.

I had a Samsung Note 8 with the screen that wraps around the edge of the phone. I would never get another one with the curved edge screen.

I dropped it and it shattered both the front and back glass including the underlying screen. The reason I doped it was I was trying to show a taxi driver where I wanted to go on google maps. While I had the map open I kept touching the curved edge of the screen. When I touched the curved edge of the screen the map would move and I would have to recenter it. This caused me to loosen my grip on the phone and opening my hand up more and more. When I got to the point where I wasn't touching the curved edge of the screen, I had loosened my grip and opened my hand so wide, I dropped the phone.

Not worth it. I don't see an advantage to the screen which wraps around the edge of the phone. Its just a gimmick!!!

Just my experience.......

3 minutes ago, reallybigken said:

I had a Samsung Note 8 with the screen that wraps around the edge of the phone. I would never get another one with the curved edge screen.

I dropped it and it shattered both the front and back glass including the underlying screen. The reason I doped it was I was trying to show a taxi driver where I wanted to go on google maps. While I had the map open I kept touching the curved edge of the screen. When I touched the curved edge of the screen the map would move and I would have to recenter it. This caused me to loosen my grip on the phone and opening my hand up more and more. When I got to the point where I wasn't touching the curved edge of the screen, I had loosened my grip and opened my hand so wide, I dropped the phone.

Not worth it. I don't see an advantage to the screen which wraps around the edge of the phone. Its just a gimmick!!!

Just my experience.......

Also have the Note 8 - and had to put it in a case to avoid touching the curved sides and to to give it extra protection.  Also the curved edges make it tricky to use the pen and difficult to fit a screen protector.

The only small advantage is that videos look good due to the 'edgeless' effect.

I see the Note 9 will have a flatter screen.

But I'd look at the specs of the two options and not make the curved screen the main decider.

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Redmi is Xiaomi but I am more interested in curved screen vs flat.

Also looking for a new phone and had settled on the Red mi.

However, now decided to wait for the imminent release of the Asus ZenFone pro max 1 which is reported to be better and cheaper. Similar specs, 5.99 screen and rumoured price of 7500 baht.

Sold out within 5 minutes of its release in Indonesia so might not be easy to get one.

As for the curved screen , feels nice but no other advantages plus all the disadvantages you mention.

I would say the curved edges would make it more liable to be dropped when held.

If you want to protect your phones buy a case made by spigen . I have the slim armour case for my htc and have dropped it countless times and when drunk on purpose to prove how well it worked !!

So either the case is brilliant or the phone is indestructible . ?

I have found the curved screen to be a nightmare.

My wife has one on her Samsung and it seems difficult to hold the phone without accidentally touching the curved edge.

I have a flat screen HTC of a similar size and never touch the screen when I don't want to.

You can get screen protectors for curved screens and also phone covers designed to protect the curved part while still allowing access to it.

?

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Wouldn’t have a Chinese brand for nothing. Anyone I know who’s had one very quickly switched back to the better brands

Been using Chinese phones for the past 2-3 years. Great price and same specs for a fraction of the price .

Currently got a Ulefone power 3 with a battery that got SOT of 12 hours. None of the big boy can compete with that.

I would never have another like the Samsung Galaxy Edge - The edge responds to touch, which means when you pick the phone up - it does something, - in my case it cuts off the incoming call. There sees to be nothing you can do except pick it up very gingerly.

The edge is a nightmare, and looks to have been dropped by Samsung probably because it is a nightmare.

The Unicorn Beetle is a excellent case for protecting Galaxy Edge phones. Most people do not know how to control their phones but Edge functions can be enabled/disabled by going to:

Settings

>Display

>Edge Screen

My wife has an S7 and my travel phone for work (free from my carrier) is an S7. Neither one of us have had issues with our phones in the last 2 years that we have owned them. You just have to set it it up properly. 

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Also looking for a new phone and had settled on the Red mi.

However, now decided to wait for the imminent release of the Asus ZenFone pro max 1 which is reported to be better and cheaper. Similar specs, 5.99 screen and rumoured price of 7500 baht.

Sold out within 5 minutes of its release in Indonesia so might not be easy to get one.

As for the curved screen , feels nice but no other advantages plus all the disadvantages you mention.

Make sure you get lots of storage space for your Zenphone, my last phone was a Zenphone and I like 2 screenfulls of unwanted apps I couldn't delete. I went for the Redmi Note 5 pro for 6700. Decided to pass on the curved screen, I just didn't want the hassle.

11 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Make sure you get lots of storage space for your Zenphone, my last phone was a Zenphone and I like 2 screenfulls of unwanted apps I couldn't delete. I went for the Redmi Note 5 pro for 6700. Decided to pass on the curved screen, I just didn't want the hassle.

I have a bargain basement zenfone go right now that I picked up at Tesco for 2700 baht. Been ok except for only having 2 GB ram.

As you say , it came with unwanted apps but managed to rid myself of 90 percent.

Might yet switch back to the Redmi because for 6700 baht that's a lot of bang for your buck. Neither available in the boonies but will be in Bangkok soon.

May I ask where you got yours for that price ?

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

I have a bargain basement zenfone go right now that I picked up at Tesco for 2700 baht. Been ok except for only having 2 GB ram.

As you say , it came with unwanted apps but managed to rid myself of 90 percent.

Might yet switch back to the Redmi because for 6700 baht that's a lot of bang for your buck. Neither available in the boonies but will be in Bangkok soon.

May I ask where you got yours for that price ?

Lazada I would post the link but I haven't been able to access Lazada all day. Only one vendor has the pro.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Lazada I would post the link but I haven't been able to access Lazada all day. Only one vendor has the pro.

O.k. Thanks for that. Will be in Bangkok on 20th and will check out MBK.

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I have a curved screen Samsung. Its primary 'edge' is is to irritate friends who have Apples.

Have your friends tried putting their dongle in the apple, it works everytime with my blackberry?

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Have your friends tried putting their dongle in the apple, it works everytime with my blackberry?

Just got back from the boozer? On a more serious note ?, I have found 2 annoyances with the curved screen. The first is that dust seems to get under the curved part of the screen protector. The second is that hitting a button on or near the curved can be a bit hit or miss. Oh, and whereas one can purchase a glass type screen protector for a flat screen, cannot for the curved screen, only the plastic type. At least that is what I was told by Power Buy when I purchased mine.

On 6/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, canuckamuck said:

Just to update, The info on Lazada was wrong, I did not get a Redmi Note5 pro for 6700. I got the regular note 5. So don't get your hopes up on finding one at that price. I am deciding now whether to return or keep. The price was correct for the regular note 5.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:26 AM, canuckamuck said:

Just to update, The info on Lazada was wrong, I did not get a Redmi Note5 pro for 6700. I got the regular note 5. So don't get your hopes up on finding one at that price. I am deciding now whether to return or keep. The price was correct for the regular note 5.

Note 5 Pro is on Lazada for 6790 

Archived