Any Bangkok experts know where this is taken from?

wellred

I'm visiting again on the weekend and would love to try visit this exact spot. Having trouble locating it on google maps. The nearest place I'd think would be the over the Chayo Praya river near Sapan Takin BTS.

What do you think?

IMG_9625.PNG

I think the photos has been taken from one of the roof tops of silom road, perhaps the bangkok bank HQ.  I don't think its from the river side, as you can see the Infinity condo and sathorn square to the south of it, and AIA Sathorn behind it, which is further towards the river down Sathorn Road.

I'm not a Bangkok expert, but I really like the Maha Nakhon Tower. So I checked the angle of the building by putting a walker in Google Street View. The result fits with the photo being taken at dawn. To get this result you need clear air - not common - and a really good tele lens. If it isn't a composite, there needs to be water in the foreground, which puts the photographer at a point north of the Hilton, almost at the bend in the river. I don't know where you get this clear line of sight though. The photographer seems like a nice enough guy, maybe you should ask him?

mahanakhontower.jpg

The perspective makes it confusing, but the white building on the left is the Sri Phraya Riverview Condo.  It looks like the top of the steeple of the Holy Rosary Church sticking up from the trees on the right, and the building with the red tapered roof, also sticking up above the trees on the far right, is the Bangkok Gem and Jewellery Tower, which is on Surawongse Road.  The large, multi-leveled blue building dominating the right is the Empire Tower on Sathorn.  The River City shopping centre will be further to the right of the photo, which is home of the White Orchid River Cruise boat seen in the foreground. 

IMG_9625.PNG

It was therefore taken somewhere in the vicinity of this one from Google Maps, somewhere around the bend in the river by the Mazu Shrine:

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/110793314543473299250/6277922339329307250

So I messaged the guy and he said it was taken from a boat, and also with some zoom on his camera.

I'm assuming maybe the Chayo Phraya express boats would go past this spot leaving Sathorn.

The boats do head to Asiatique and beyond, the regular boat goes downriver to Rajburana. It'll be from down that way somewhere, views are less obstructed than further up too. Great piece of architecture, the angle in the picture is near perfect for the building. 

I have taken the boat (Yellow Flag?) from Saphan Taksin down to Big C at Ratburana a couple of times. You have to check on the time of sailing because there seemed to be only one boat about 5 or 6.00 pm going that way.  Not sure about the return trip, I always took a taxi.

7 hours ago, wellred said:

So I messaged the guy and he said it was taken from a boat, and also with some zoom on his camera.

I'm assuming maybe the Chayo Phraya express boats would go past this spot leaving Sathorn.

From Sathorn, take the boat going towards Nonthaburi (not to Rat Burana if you want to get this view), sit on the right hand side and look out for it after leaving the River City jetty.  However, due to the angle it was taken from, it would be behind you going in that direction, so the shot may be tricky.  Probably best to go past it, get off the boat and take one going back to Sathorn, sitting on the left hand side.  Also, depending on time of day, you may not get a clear view if the boat is crowded, so it may be worth going further up river before turning around in order to get a good seat.

Archived