Brian’s Vision for Hua Hin: ‘Thailand’s Most Wheelchair-Friendly City’

By Hua Hin Today

brians-vision-for-hua-hin-696x531.jpg

Brian Jensen, or ‘Brian Wheelchair’ as many Hua Hin locals call him, is a staunch advocate for disability access. Apart from personal experience, he has the training and industry background to become Hua Hin’s most able disability access consultant.

rian’s profile in Hua Hin is partly due to his eye catching ‘motor-trike’. This is a custom-made hybrid with two modified Yamaha motorcycles and a ramped entry to a platform between the ‘frames’ to anchor his wheelchair.

The trike is powered by the motor from one bike with an electric motor on the other side for reverse to give Brian the freedom to explore the countryside and beaches.

Full Story: http://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/brians-vision-for-hua-hin-thailands-most-wheelchair-friendly-city/

huahintoday_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2018-6-5

Apart from what happens on Thai roads, I am not a Thai basher. But you have to wonder at this, found on Sukhumvit just down from Soi 43 only a couple of days ago: genuine photo!wheelchair_access_bangkok.thumb.jpg.9e1e1fe2e027c6ade2297b24e2733da1.jpg

30 minutes ago, todlad said:

Apart from what happens on Thai roads, I am not a Thai basher. But you have to wonder at this, found on Sukhumvit just down from Soi 43 only a couple of days ago: genuine photo!wheelchair_access_bangkok.thumb.jpg.9e1e1fe2e027c6ade2297b24e2733da1.jpg

That is a perfectly acceptable set up, please explain to me a wheelchair user what is wrong with it !!

Those are good wheelchair access bollards, go in turn right then turn left to exit.

You say you are not Thai bashing, well mate that is exactly what you are doing.

In future check things out before posting.

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

That is a perfectly acceptable set up, please explain to me a wheelchair user what is wrong with it !!

Those are good wheelchair access bollards, go in turn right then turn left to exit.

You wouldn't get your new, as yet unfunded, 3 wheel modified Toyota down there.

28 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Have you been there? Have you used it? Can you see the tree and the concrete base around the tree? Are you sure the average wheelchair user would easily work their way into that?

By the way, I took that photo. I was there and in my assessment it will cause problems otherwise I would have said nothing.

If you go there and prove me wrong, I will happily apologise and delete my post and photo.

Do you see anything resembling a ramp to help anyone arriving by road... if course, maybe that last was never intended.

Great, go to Hua Hin for a holiday, get your head kicked in by Thai louts in the night market, and if you're wheel-chair bound as a result of your injuries, then bingo!!!, you're in ‘Thailand’s Most Wheelchair-Friendly City’. Couldn't ask for more than that.

19 minutes ago, TSF said:

Great, go to Hua Hin for a holiday, get your head kicked in by Thai louts in the night market, and if you're wheel-chair bound as a result of your injuries, then bingo!!!, you're in ‘Thailand’s Most Wheelchair-Friendly City’. Couldn't ask for more than that.

The single incident happened in Hua Hin only once in the last few years. Whilst in Pattaya they happen daily!

I don't think I've been anywhere in Thailand where it's wheelchair friendly, I can't even imagine how you would cross a road even as I'm fully mobile and it can be quite hairy.

1 hour ago, todlad said:

Have you been there? Have you used it? Can you see the tree and the concrete base around the tree? Are you sure the average wheelchair user would easily work their way into that?

By the way, I took that photo. I was there and in my assessment it will cause problems otherwise I would have said nothing.

If you go there and prove me wrong, I will happily apologise and delete my post and photo.

Do you see anything resembling a ramp to help anyone arriving by road... if course, maybe that last was never intended.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The idea of those is to stop motorbikes driving on the footpath.

Why are you going on about trees/ramps?

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The idea of those is to stop motorbikes driving on the footpath.

Why are you going on about trees/ramps?

This has clearly made you very emotional and you are unable to move away from your own view of what you think you see.

Yes, even this idiot managed to work out why those barriers are there. 

If the rest of my message has flattened you, no matter, just leave it.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:20 PM, todlad said:

These things are meant to deter motorbikes from driving on the sidewalks while still allowing wheelchairs access. I wish they had these on every corner because you sure can’t count on the police to keep motorbikes off the sidewalks 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:54 AM, colinneil said:

Except they are wide enough to get a bike through, and hence serve purely as a "wheelchair obstacle", rather than as a "wheelchair friendly motorcycle barrier", which is what they are supposed to be.

7 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Except they are wide enough to get a bike through, and hence serve purely as a "wheelchair obstacle", rather than as a "wheelchair friendly motorcycle barrier", which is what they are supposed to be.

Yet again a poster who has absolutely no idea.

They are not obstacles for wheelchairs, but designed to stop motorbikes speeding along the footpath.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

They are not obstacles for wheelchairs, but designed to stop motorbikes speeding along the footpath.

Ironic that you claim others have no idea when you evidently cannot read English. I stated that they are intended for motorcycles, but motorcycles can fit through the wheelchair entry and exit. Therefore, they solely *function* as a wheelchair obstacle.

32 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Ironic that you claim others have no idea when you evidently cannot read English. I stated that they are intended for motorcycles, but motorcycles can fit through the wheelchair entry and exit. Therefore, they solely *function* as a wheelchair obstacle.

More brain dead twaddle from a person who has no idea.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

More brain dead twaddle from a person who has no idea.

I'll put it in very simple English for you:

Motorcycles can fit through the gaps so therefore the only true impact of these bollards is that they unnecessarily inconvenience wheelchair users.

Christ, why is it always borderline imbecile that attempt to be patronising. Honestly.. get a life Colin, and whilst doing so, try to learn to read correctly and follow simple, plainly illustrated logic.

27 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I'll put it in very simple English for you:

Motorcycles can fit through the gaps so therefore the only true impact of these bollards is that they unnecessarily inconvenience wheelchair users.

Christ, why is it always borderline imbecile that attempt to be patronising. Honestly.. get a life Colin, and whilst doing so, try to learn to read correctly and follow simple, plainly illustrated logic.

I used to have a life, but now stuck in a wheelchair, cannot get out unaided.

Soo spend most of my time reading nonsense from folk such as yourself

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

you have misunderstood everything and everyone in this thread Colin.sorry you are wheelchair bound though: can't be fun.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:44 AM, colinneil said:

I am in Bangkok again for another couple of days and as I was going that way anyway, I took another look at these barriers. By the way, I am all in favour of anything that keeps motorbikes off the pavement as motorbike riders, on average, expect pedestrians to give them right of way.

Firstly, on that stretch of pavement there is a footpath and a cycle lane running in parallel. At one point there is only a cycle lane, no official footpath at all: albeit it is only for 10 yards or so!

Secondly, I measured the distance between the tree and the post on the left as we see it: it's about 2 feet 6 inches ... 0.75 metres. By my estimation that must be very tight for the average wheelchair, especially given the proximity of the kerb and the other obstacle you can just see on the left of the photo.

Thirdly, as I was walking toward this wheelchair way, a pedal cyclist manoeuvred her bike and herself through the a gap between two posts fairly easily. Of course, she had to do it exceptionally slowly but she did it. Actually, had she been taller and stronger, it would have taken her mere seconds to get through them.

Colin, they could have made this corridor much easier for wheelchair users by having the exit on the left higher up the pavement so that they could have had a normally sized gap with none of the difficulties I see here. There is another corridor further on down the road and that does not seem to suffer the fate of this one.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:22 PM, colinneil said:

I saw the article today, I am sorry to hear that.

Archived