Volunteer Visa required

Hi,

I'm new here because I have a question about Thai Visa. I'm willing to do volunteer work at two rescue centre in Thailand in september until november. When I checked the site of the embassy in the Netherlands I saw the next Visa: Non-Immigrant type O (vrijwilligerswerk):single entry which required the next documents: an invitation to me for doing volunteer work, in which period I will be doing that and the type of work I will be doing. Also they need a copy of the Chamber of Commerce from the organization (not older than 6 months) and a copy of the ID card from the person who signed the letter. 

So I asked both rescue centre to provide me these documents but they both state that I don't need that Visa and should just ask for a tourist Visa because of the complications that are required by getting such a Visa. 

What should I do? What will happen if I go to Thailand and do volunteer work with a tourist Visa? Do you recommend that? Or should I insist on getting the documents from the organizations I will do the volunteer work.

Thank you very much!

King regards 

If you do volunteer work on a tourist visa, you will be working illegally. In practice, if the organization you will be working with has a good relationship with the authorities, you can expect your illegal work to be tolerated. If there are political tensions, you could possibly be arrested, fined, deported and blacklisted from Thailand. I am actually sympathetic to the organizations being reluctant to go through the hassle and expense of getting you a work permit and visa for a short period of assistance. However, if you are risk averse, you might want to reconsider your plans.

• Like 2

Well isn't this the cat's meow.  The Thai organizations don't want to deal with the visa process.    Of course with the recent "crackdown" on visa's and abuses, I am not surprised the volunteer avenue of visas is getting scrutinized. 

• Confused 1

Thank you for your responses. 

So besides the visa I also should have a work permit (which I need to apply for when I arrive in Thailand as I'm correct?). What are the chances I will get one if I'm only doing 1 month of volunteer work at one place and 1 month at another (and I will arrive one week before starting). Are there specific requirement to get one? And for the visa?

As I learn all this I almost understand why organizations don't want to deal with it, but they're also not responsible for the consequences. In fact when you get caught you have to leave the country? No jail time? 

@gk10002000 What do you mean by the recent crackdown on visa's and abuses? 

Thank you.

Kind regards

the recent visa crackdown is mainly about those with more colour than others ie africans, asians and some schools being checked. I have yet to see the toyota office being raided to see if the japanese management team have their correct paperwork. It just wont happen there are only going after easy targets like those selling drugs or overstay or under UN refugee status etc.

I can also understand why it would be a pain in the rear end for rescue centres to get work permits as some volunteers work for a very short time, and have little responsibility to stay for the proposed time period.

On a public forum you always going to get its illegal to work without a work permit in Thailand.

So you just going to have to decide whether you can   emotiinally help resues out on a tourist visas or just panic and cant handle the pressure of working without a work permit. 

You would be arrested, sent to the IDC for a while and then out of the country (you have to buy a direct flight to your home country), here an impression of the IDC, afaik you would be banned 5 years from Thailand:

The chance to be caught is very small, but it's not zero, in the end it's your own decision. I would not take the risk.

The organizations just don't care about what happens to you, because you face the consequences, not them.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KellyDown said:

As I learn all this I almost understand why organizations don't want to deal with it, but they're also not responsible for the consequences. In fact when you get caught you have to leave the country? No jail time? 

An actual jail sentence is an option in the relevant law, but highly unlikely in practice. You could be held for a couple of days while the court case and sentencing are processed (this goes very quickly). Assuming deportation is ordered (highly likely) you will be held until you buy an air ticket out of Thailand to a country willing to receive you as a deportee. In practice, this is almost invariably a ticket to home country on your national airline, not cheap. Blacklisting from Thailand is not certain, but possible.

• Like 1

as a matter of interest, for which organisation would you be working  and what work would you be doing? you mention rescue centre - for what or for whom? on my travels i have come across many NGO's on tourist visas, so it must be quite normal.

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

haven't heard any stories of people doing a few months voluntary work for a charity getting deported or having any issues. legally you should have a WP but personally i wouldn't worry about it

What he said.

and make sure your travel insurance covers manual volunteer work.

OP….  I don’t want to make you feel despondent, your ambition to help the Thai rescue organisations are very admirable, but you do need to be aware of a number of issues which can cause you potential problems.

Firstly you will need to obtain a non-O visa and also obtain a work permit even for the type of voluntary work you have indicated.  As has been previously indicated, if you get caught working without a work permit the Thai Authorities will take you to court and you will be deported and banned from entering Thailand for some considerable time.   Some previous posters have indicated that your chances of being caught are remote, and even if you are it is unlikely that because of the nature of the work that you are proposing, the Authorities will not take any action. 

Are you willing to take the risk? Bearing in mind that if you attend incidents with the rescue organisation it is highly likely that the police will also be attending and as a foreigner you are going to stand out like a ‘sore thumb’ as far as the police are concerned and it is possible they may, just may, start asking some questions.

Secondly, if you hold any professional advanced lifesaving skills (Paramedic or EMT) you will not be allowed to employ those skills in Thailand without accreditation from the Institute of Emergency Medicine.  At very best you will have to confine your assistance to very basic first aid only.

Thirdly, most rescue groups that I have had contact with are very enthusiastic but very much basic first aid trained and they tend to be ‘scope and run’ merchants.  You also need to bear in mind that members of these rescue groups tend to only speak Thai as will the people who you may have to assist.  So having a good command of the Thai language is essential otherwise you will be more of a hindrance than help.

Best of luck.

7 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

OP….  I don’t want to make you feel despondent, your ambition to help the Thai rescue organisations are very admirable, but you do need to be aware of a number of issues which can cause you potential problems.

Firstly you will need to obtain a non-O visa and also obtain a work permit even for the type of voluntary work you have indicated.  As has been previously indicated, if you get caught working without a work permit the Thai Authorities will take you to court and you will be deported and banned from entering Thailand for some considerable time.   Some previous posters have indicated that your chances of being caught are remote, and even if you are it is unlikely that because of the nature of the work that you are proposing, the Authorities will not take any action. 

Are you willing to take the risk? Bearing in mind that if you attend incidents with the rescue organisation it is highly likely that the police will also be attending and as a foreigner you are going to stand out like a ‘sore thumb’ as far as the police are concerned and it is possible they may, just may, start asking some questions.

Secondly, if you hold any professional advanced lifesaving skills (Paramedic or EMT) you will not be allowed to employ those skills in Thailand without accreditation from the Institute of Emergency Medicine.  At very best you will have to confine your assistance to very basic first aid only.

Thirdly, most rescue groups that I have had contact with are very enthusiastic but very much basic first aid trained and they tend to be ‘scope and run’ merchants.  You also need to bear in mind that members of these rescue groups tend to only speak Thai as will the people who you may have to assist.  So having a good command of the Thai language is essential otherwise you will be more of a hindrance than help.

Best of luck.

Probably OP is talking about a rescue centre for animals

I know a couple of volunteer organizations are they are left alone by Immigration

However if you decide to go ahead with a Tourist Visa you do it at your own risk, it's up to you to decide what you want to do

If they really needed you or wanted you; there would be a more straightforward way.  If it was easy to be a "volunteer" here, there would be armies of penniless backpackers justifying their existence by the work they do for their top heavy NGO.  Ironic how so few have any worthwhile skills, at all, and often seem to be escaping seemingly hopeless conditions back home.  Same goes for most of the missionaries.  

4 hours ago, jobsworth said:

as a matter of interest, for which organisation would you be working  and what work would you be doing? you mention rescue centre - for what or for whom? on my travels i have come across many NGO's on tourist visas, so it must be quite normal.

First, thank you for your responses. 

A month for a wildlife organisation which helps elephants, apes etc and a month in an animal shelter with cats and dogs. The work will consist of feeding, cleaning, building, petting etc. 

Did you work at these NGO's yourself? I think it's quite common that people travel and decide there to volunteer and these of course dont have a WP.

3 hours ago, AaronC76 said:

What he said.

and make sure your travel insurance covers manual volunteer work.

Will that still be covered if you work illegally? 

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

Best of luck.

It's indeed an animal rescue centre. It's clear to me it's going to be almost impossible to work legally in Thailand. I would have problems with jail time, but being deported doesn't seem so bad to me. 

I choose rescue groups which could host a considerable amount of volunteers so I will not be staying alone somewhere. 

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

I know a couple of volunteer organizations are they are left alone by Immigration

However if you decide to go ahead with a Tourist Visa you do it at your own risk, it's up to you to decide what you want to do

Are these for animal rescue? Can you tell me which one that are?

1 hour ago, moontang said:

If they really needed you or wanted you; there would be a more straightforward way.  If it was easy to be a "volunteer" here, there would be armies of penniless backpackers justifying their existence by the work they do for their top heavy NGO.  Ironic how so few have any worthwhile skills, at all, and often seem to be escaping seemingly hopeless conditions back home.  Same goes for most of the missionaries.  

Well, afaik, it's not common in the rest of the world to require WP for volunteers and it's not like armies of volunteers are over there. 

18 minutes ago, KellyDown said:

First, thank you for your responses. 

A month for a wildlife organisation which helps elephants, apes etc and a month in an animal shelter with cats and dogs. The work will consist of feeding, cleaning, building, petting etc. 

Did you work at these NGO's yourself? I think it's quite common that people travel and decide there to volunteer and these of course dont have a WP.

It's indeed an animal rescue centre. It's clear to me it's going to be almost impossible to work legally in Thailand. I would have problems with jail time, but being deported doesn't seem so bad to me. 

I choose rescue groups which could host a considerable amount of volunteers so I will not be staying alone somewhere. 

Are these for animal rescue? Can you tell me which one that are?

Well, afaik, it's not common in the rest of the world to require WP for volunteers and it's not like armies of volunteers are over there. 

Yes one of them is a Elephant foundation in Hua Hin, I was there last year and talked to one of the staff about WP etc, she said the head of the foundation was friends with Immigration and they never had any issues, she had actually worked there pretty much full time for a few years

"I think it's quite common that people travel and decide there to volunteer and these of course dont have a WP."

Yes it is common but not legal

You should be ok, most of these rescue groups/foundations have a "agreement" with Immigration which means they are left alone however please bear in mind that you are working illegally and that being caught, no matter how small the risk can lead to problems

19 hours ago, KellyDown said:

As far as you're concerned you've been told by the organisations being worked for that there is nothing illegal about it, so you will be fine if you need to claim.

4 hours ago, AaronC76 said:

As far as you're concerned you've been told by the organisations being worked for that there is nothing illegal about it, so you will be fine if you need to claim.

For Dutchies health insurance will be there.

It is a risk that some people take to work without the proper visa and permit in Thailand.

If you are desperate to do it then the risk may be outweighed.

I would not recommend it. It's not worth what you get out of it versus the implications.

I could teach English and risk it, but don't because the salary is poor, the administration is poor, and the students aren't learning. 

If people keep accepting these dodgy jobs then Thailand will not see any need for improving import employment.

I recommend you tell the company to get in contact with their local representative and let them know foreigners who want to help Thailand become better are being scared away from working because of lack of support from government. 

What should happen is that qualified English teachers should be given red carpet service to come to Thailand to teach Thai children. South Korea do that. Free Accommodation, Free airfares, etc.

But you know what they say, to one's own choose a mobile phone.

• Like 2

I like teaching Maths.  I would do it part time for some beer money, possibly even free, it it wasn't some NGO with executives being paid like it is IBM.        But, I sure as he$$ am not giving up or risking a perfectly good visa at 1900 per year just by being over 50, to jump through bureaucratic hoops like a circus clown.  And agreed, the lowlife working illegally or even volunteering illegally make it worse for everyone.

Edited by moontang

17 hours ago, Arjen said:

Not complete correct.

When you follow the law healthcare has no limits.

When you did not follow the law, health care is covered according Dutch rates. 

Retrieving your body back to The Netherlands (dead or alive) is only covered when you did not do anything illegal .

Arjen.

Subrogation will be used by the insurer. Basically they will find someone else to pay their losses in the event of a claim. Be that the insureds home insurance, the companies public liability etc etc 

19 hours ago, Arjen said:

Not complete correct.

When you follow the law healthcare has no limits.

When you did not follow the law, health care is covered according Dutch rates. 

Retrieving your body back to The Netherlands (dead or alive) is only covered when you did not do anything illegal .

Arjen.

No, retrieving your body is never covered under the health insurance, that is one of the things travel insurance is for. It will cover however health costs (upto Dutch level) worldwide.

Does your volunteer work have to be in Thailand.  Why not spend your 1 month in Myanmar, working as a volunteer for a similar charity. 

I live and work in Myanmar, and have never heard of any issues about foreign volunteers needing either a volunteer visa or a work permit - everyone will be very grateful for your volunteer work ?  Plus you will get to see a beautiful country.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Point is we had a case from a Dutch citizen who stayed in one of our guests houses. Like many tourists he hired a motorbike, without having a valid drivers license for motorbike. According his parents their son was well insured. He killed himself by a motorbike accident (well, he survived three days in coma in hospital). His health care insurance covered these costs. But his travel insurance refused to pay the transportation from his dead body back home. He remained for about three months in the mortuarium in hospital, before his parents had enough money to let him fly back home. The health care insurance refused to pay these costs for longer stay in the hospital, and the travel insurance also did not cover this.

And what they (insurance) told me, when he should have survived and needed special transport back home, they also should not cover these costs, as he was riding illegal a motorbike (he was also very, very drunk, when he had the accident) And then it is to the healthcare insurance if, and what they will cover. 

I have no idea what insurances do when you work illegal in Thailand, and have an accident on your workspot, maybe first ask?

Arjen.

Exactly, you don't know. So please don't correct me when I make a correct post.

Dutch health insurance will cover health issues upto Dutch level, travel insurance can have restrictions. 

Repatriation is not a health issue, and after his death there were no other health issues, so always for the travel insurance.

Edited by stevenl

39 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Yes, you are correct, when you only talk about health care insurance, and that is what you did.

I will never try to correct you again.

Arjen.

Please do correct me when I'm wrong ?.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:41 PM, KellyDown said:

Do these organisations have websites that I could look at?

It will be interesting to see how they present the opportunities and if they suggest that everything is legal or not.

It may also be that they state they have employers/public liability to cover you for any medical costs if an accident should occur whilst volunteering for them. 

OP, sorry but i don't think you should do this.  it is illegal, and although you would probably "get away with it," you never know.  if anything happens, you have no legal protection.

you're not going to provide anything particularly useful to them.  you didn't mention any specialized skills, so assuming just a warm body  "feeding, cleaning, petting....."

apologize for my attitude on this, but i consider this more for you than for the animals.  you want to feel good about yourself, of course, but your contribution won't accomplish anything. 

you don't have to feel guilty.  if you really need to "do something" you can donate to reputable international animal welfare organizations, or directly to a recognized local charity when you arrive.

i would suggest a donation to an ngo that provides rabies vaccinations in rural areas, or that provides spay/neuter services.

• Sad 1