salt (athletes read others ignore please)

robblok

"own careful usage of it you confirm that..."

Not really. I estimate how much salt I need not measure it exactly.

If I have too much I will end up drinking more and going to the toilet more.

Carbs can have a bigger impact on bp. Have a look at people with high bp. Nearly all of them are on high carb diets. There would be over a billion of them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, robblok said:

To be honest I really never gave salt much thought and it only came to play after i started exercising outside. It probably already happened at a smaller scale while exercising in my air conditioned gym but put that down to normal cramps - performance loss. 

So sorry, I can't know it all that is why I keep reading and learning more. This goes against what we have always been told.  

"This goes against what we have always been told."

You have been told, my father who played tennis a lot and sweat like there was no tomorrow, told me almost 50 years ago to get enough salt.  

34 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"This goes against what we have always been told."

You have been told, my father who played tennis a lot and sweat like there was no tomorrow, told me almost 50 years ago to get enough salt.  

Yet every year on tv for the last 20 yrs they have told people to cut salt.

The powerful drug companies must be behind it.

Yet every year on tv for the last 20 yrs they have told people to cut salt.

The powerful drug companies must be behind it.
There are people who are affected by salt say around 10 % of the population who see their bloodpressure change if they use less salt.

So i monitor my blood pressure just to be sure so far no changes.

But what i read is that too little salt is a problem too. Just like so many things those blanket statements are bad. They fail to take in account individual differences.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

There are people who are affected by salt say around 10 % of the population who see their bloodpressure change if they use less salt.

So i monitor my blood pressure just to be sure so far no changes.

But what i read is that too little salt is a problem too. Just like so many things those blanket statements are bad. They fail to take in account individual differences.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Like most things, too much or too little, is a problem 

On 6/13/2018 at 8:36 AM, jumbo said:

I think the warning about salt is valid and through your own careful usage of it you confirm that...

As long as you are calculated on what you do there should be no issue

But I prefer baking soda as an alternative...

Actually i confirmed that adding 8 grams !!! of salt not sodium had NO impact on my blood pressure. There is only a 10% range of people who are influenced by salt. 

13 hours ago, garrya said:

Well, how much is too much?

Even drinking water kills you in excessive amount.

How much is too much, that really depends on how much you sweat and exercise. The only way to find out for you is use a blood pressure device and see how you respond to adding more salt or removing salt from your diet. Only 10% of people really respond to it. I know that ever since I added more salt (no blood pressure changes) my athletic performance has gone up.

I also know that before when I almost used no salt, and exercised as much as i did now there was a day after many days of sweating and not eating enough salt that I had a day where i lost complete energy and brain energy. Only after taking a bit of salt did things come back to normal. It was absolutely horrible. 

Low sodium can dramatically affect your ability to think. After that the risk of stroke and heart attack jumps up. It's very dangerous.

I would bet 95% of people have no idea that low sodium is dangerous cause the media told them salt is bad.

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Low sodium can dramatically affect your ability to think. After that the risk of stroke and heart attack jumps up. It's very dangerous.

I would bet 95% of people have no idea that low sodium is dangerous cause the media told them salt is bad.

I was feeling really bad that day all day... so I learned my lesson. Thinking.. i could not really do that and I felt so weak. Just stupid never thought much about salt while I know I am a heavy sweater (even without exercise)

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

I experienced anxiety and depression for like 20 mins a few times before I worked out what it was. Scary feeling. I felt like I wasn't in control of my own mind. Normally I'm relaxed and cool. 

For me it was not anxiety, after the workout most of the day I just could not think deep. I mean not do work that required a brain, i also felt physically weak. That is not going to happen again. Now that I added salt I don't cramp up anymore when doing ab exercises and the exercises in my session that i do last seem to go better. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

How much is too much, that really depends on how much you sweat and exercise. The only way to find out for you is use a blood pressure device and see how you respond to adding more salt or removing salt from your diet. Only 10% of people really respond to it. I know that ever since I added more salt (no blood pressure changes) my athletic performance has gone up.

I also know that before when I almost used no salt, and exercised as much as i did now there was a day after many days of sweating and not eating enough salt that I had a day where i lost complete energy and brain energy. Only after taking a bit of salt did things come back to normal. It was absolutely horrible. 

Same exact experience here. 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Thinking about adding 5 gr salt in my post workout protein and creatine shake, I always sweat like hell , much be a Dutch thingy...

What do the experts think...

5 gr is too much. A half to one teaspoonful will do.

4 minutes ago, garrya said:

Yes, I agree. However one normal teaspoon equates to 4-5 gram. I think half a teaspoon in after workout shake only will do the trick

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 2:46 PM, jumbo said:
On 7/9/2018 at 2:40 PM, garrya said:

Yes, I agree. However one normal teaspoon equates to 4-5 gram. I think half a teaspoon in after workout shake only will do the trick

5 grams of good salt (Real Salt, Himalayan Rock Salt, Celtic Sea Salt etc) is definitely not too much. As well as providing sodium, you're also providing potassium and many other trace minerals.

I put a half tablespoon (about 6 grams of salt) of sole solution in my post-workout protein drink. Sole is saturated salt solution, which provides about 4 grams of salt per teaspoon. I have Himalayan rock salt rocks in a jar, to create a saturated solution. You can just use ground salt too... keep adding salt until there's undissolved salt at the bottom of the jar. Apparently, there's something magical about sole.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

Minerals, potash? Absolutely! Go get magnesium as 1 kg etc., instead.

Sodium is retaining water and can be very dangerous when overdosed.

A study on Russian astronauts found that not to be the case at all. Lots of myths regarding sodium.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:54 AM, tropo said:

5 grams of good salt (Real Salt, Himalayan Rock Salt, Celtic Sea Salt etc) is definitely not too much. As well as providing sodium, you're also providing potassium and many other trace minerals.

I put a half tablespoon (about 6 grams of salt) of sole solution in my post-workout protein drink. Sole is saturated salt solution, which provides about 4 grams of salt per teaspoon. I have Himalayan rock salt rocks in a jar, to create a saturated solution. You can just use ground salt too... keep adding salt until there's undissolved salt at the bottom of the jar. Apparently, there's something magical about sole.

Yuck...?

Archived