Which Air conditioner to buy?

falangUK

Hi all :),

Trying to figure out Which Air conditioner to buy? since the current  one is guzzling electricity ? and noisy ? 

12000 BTU, for bedroom upstairs, not directly exposed to sun[light]

We will be buying directly from somewhere (in Chiang Mai) like siam TV or Home Pro

1. Mitsubishi >> recommended by electrician as the best choice

2. LG  >> recommended by electrician as the 2nd best choice, works great initially but then problems after some time

3. Daikin

4. Others

Would be very grateful for any advice ?

I like the price, warranty, ease of filter access, and compressor on the Panasonic.  Also like Carrier, but a bit pricey now.  I think the new LG are much improved...built in surge protection..won t skip a beat a 350 volts and that protects the controller board.  Daikin OK, but not worth the same as carrier or panasonic.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pib said:

Mitsubishi inverter.   But you will not go wrong with a Daikan inverter either.

ive had Daikan 10 years in my house only had one problem and that was Daikan engineer wanted to rip me off 22,000 baht for a 2,000 baht repair. got it repaired by a local engineer.

Have used Daikin, Samsung, Mitsubishi Heavy and Slim. LG. PANASONIC and others. Lately, the last 2 years, I have switched to Central Air. Inverter and Non-Inverter. Could not be happier. Modern units. Small and quiet in and out. Don't get dirty as fast as most others. Very affordable... Good features and Zero problems so far. Also impressed with Panasonic, which I use for 4 years in my house. Nice day. MS>

• Like 1

We have 6 A/C's, the very first one was a Samsung about 9 years old now and just about had it days. The other 5 are LG varying in BTU's, cannot complain, they have all been doing their job, although had to replace a circuit board the other day due to a gecko blowing that out, 2,700 baht later, now I hunt down the gecko's with a passion, not so noticeable these days, wonder why.

In the past have always had Panasonic and Mitsubishi, but that was in the land of Oz, as Panasonic used their own technicians if there was a problem and Mitsubishi recommended by a sparky who swore by them.

The LG's are much cheaper than Mitsubishi's, eg sister in-laws farang partner paid 35,000 baht for it and was installed in a 4 x 4 bedroom, whereas we paid about 15,000 baht and was installed in a 4 x 4 bedroom, sure they do the same job, i.e. put out cool air, they even get their's cleaned every year and topped up with gas for 1,200 baht, just goes to show, they don't know they are getting ripped, oh yes we did tell them A/C's don't get topped up unless there is a leak, well, we don't know what we are talking about do we. ?

Would recommend the LG's cheap enough, quiet enough and do the job for less than most, and they have come a long way since years ago.

• Like 1

Daikin inverter units have served me exceptionally well.  I installed them in my Bangkok condo and later, in my new house in Chiang Mai.  They offer super

quiet operation and ease of cleaning for inside filters.  I use the SMART models.  They have motion sensors that, when switched on, will allow temps to rise 2degrees when no one is in the room, returning to the lower preset temperature  when motion is detected.  This option can be switched off very easily with the hand held remote....in case you decide not to use it...like when sleeping and no one is moving in the room, allowing a constant temp.  I shopped around until I found the best price...from an independent Installer who reps Daikin and others, too.  HomePro was always higher in price.  Recommend properly sizing the unit to avoid under powering and overpowering the rooms each of which has its own disadvantages; e.g., constant running or lack of dehumidification.  No matter what brand you ultimately choose, inverters offer the MOST efficient use of electricity.  

1 hour ago, moonseeker said:

Have used Daikin, Samsung, Mitsubishi Heavy and Slim. LG. PANASONIC and others. Lately, the last 2 years, I have switched to Central Air. Inverter and Non-Inverter. Could not be happier. Modern units. Small and quiet in and out. Don't get dirty as fast as most others. Very affordable... Good features and Zero problems so far. Also impressed with Panasonic, which I use for 4 years in my house. Nice day. MS>

Now I don't have any Central Air A/Cs, but some folks in my village do (non-inverter types) and I walk by several of the homes daily when walking my dog.   And one thing I can say for sure the Central Air "outdoor" units (i.e., condensers/compressor) are just as loud as any other manufacturer's "non-inverter" type unit which I hear regularly in my walks around the village where I get to hear all makes and models....Mitsubitshi, Daikin, York, Panasonic, LG, etc.  Can't speak to how quiet the inside unit/evaporator is; nor there overall reliability.  

One neighbor has a new Central Air non-inverter type and I would have say its outside unit is the loudest on the soi block.   But maybe it's just it's location...how it possibly reflects sound off the house wall seems to make it loud.  . Every time I walk by it, I think to myself, Man, that's a loud A/C. 

If a person lives close to their neighbors how loud the outside unit might want to be a consideration.  All too often folks only concentrate on how quiet the inside unit portion is.

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Now I don't have any Central Air A/Cs, but some folks in my village do (non-inverter types) and I walk by several of the homes daily when walking my dog.   And one thing I can say for sure the Central Air "outdoor" units (i.e., condensers/compressor) are just as loud as any other manufacturer's "non-inverter" type unit which I hear regularly in my walks around the village where I get to hear all makes and models....Mitsubitshi, Daikin, York, Panasonic, LG, etc.  Can't speak to how quiet the inside unit/evaporator is; nor there overall reliability.  

One neighbor has a new Central Air non-inverter type and I would have say its outside unit is the loudest on the soi block.   But maybe it's just it's location...how it possibly reflects sound off the house wall seems to make it loud.  . Every time I walk by it, I think to myself, Man, that's a loud A/C. 

If a person lives close to their neighbors how loud the outside unit might want to be a consideration.  All too often folks only concentrate on how quiet the inside unit portion is.

Just a quick note about our Daikin inverter outside units.....they make VERY little noise and we hardly know they’re running except when you walk past them and feel the warm air coming from them....  Our neighbors never complain.  Just sayin....   hope the OP finds what he’s looking for.....  it’s not always an easy choice.

Edited by Tracyb

33 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Any feedback on Samsung inverter?

Five airco's in the house.

Main bedroom Samsung 13000 inverter.

Bedroom 2 LG 9000

Bedroom 3 Carrier 8000

Bedroom 4 TCL 10000

Sitting room Cree.12000

Samsung is most silent, fast cooling, keeps the temp very well.

Cree is silent, fast cooling, good holding of temp.

All rooms are nearly the same size,

Had a meter on all units for a week.

The cheapest one to run is the TCL.

Second place Cree.

TCL and Cree were the cheapest to buy.

In another house I have a Samsung 13000 and a Mitsubishi 9000

Last one very noisy.

Two years old, three repairs.

Samsung 6 years old, regular cleaning, no repairs.

In a restaurant in the whole building 6 TCL 9000, one in every room and 2 in restaurant.

Work very well, very silent, fast cooling, keep temp very well.

• Like 1

Just for crossfeed regarding "prices of A/C" below Bangkok A/C sales website gives good idea of prices....prices at smaller A/C sellers; not prices the higher prices of big retailers such as HomePro, etc., where prices are typically around 20% higher.   I've never bought from this seller, but came close one time....just pointing out the site as it gives a good idea of prices of various manufacturers and models.  You need to add Bt3,000 to each price to cover the installation cost.  At big retailers the installation cost is normally included in their retail price.

http://srairsale.com/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Just a quick note about our Daikin inverter outside units.....they make VERY little noise and we hardly know they’re running except when you walk past them and feel the warm air coming from them....  Our neighbors never complain.  Just sayin....   hope the OP finds what he’s looking for.....  it’s not always an easy choice.

Yes, inverter outside units are typically quiet due to their different technology....basically a variable speed compressor & fan which slows down and speeds up as necessary...but usually runs slow when properly sized once getting the room cooled down.  A slow running outdoor unit is a quiet unit.   

On my Mitsubitshi Bt23K inverter when it running slow I can be standing right next to it and "barely" hear it....and even when it runs full speed to initially cool down a hot room it's much quieter than a non-inverter type.

Another vote for Mitsubishi. 13,000 btu unit for 3rd level master bedroom. Keeps the room cold even on the hottest of Thai days. I have the "Mr. Slim-Econo Air" model. You do need to manually clean the filters every 3 or 4 months, but that's a 10 minute job of running them under some water. 

1 hour ago, Zack61 said:

Any feedback on Samsung inverter?

avoid at all cost due to parts availability and cost of repairs. LGs are good but again, parts availabltiy is the problem.

Stick with Mitsu and Daikin, dont' cheap out and go for thai brands like central. The price looks good but they don't last and they are loud.

Go with an 'independent' rather than the big box stores - especially Siam TV.  The big boys use the subcontractors to do the installation so cut the big guys out and work your best deal.  We have Mitsubishi and have been most happy with it for almost 10 years.  If I went with a new one now it would be an inverter model for sure.

• Like 1

I have had great success with an 18,000 BTU Samsung inverter, that I bought as soon as they came out, about 10 years ago. Still going strong. And recently, I bought a panasonic inverter. A bit expensive, but worth it. Whisper quiet. Very efficient. I hear Daikin are as good as they get. I do not think Mitsu has done enough innovation. They appear to be resting on their laurels.

Edited by spidermike007

50 minutes ago, mike324 said:

avoid at all cost due to parts availability and cost of repairs. LGs are good but again, parts availabltiy is the problem.

Stick with Mitsu and Daikin, dont' cheap out and go for thai brands like central. The price looks good but they don't last and they are loud.

You may be right. I know for a fact that with the Samsung LED TV's, they stop making parts after 36 months. So, if one breaks, and nobody can scrounge around for a part, you dump the unit in the dumpster. I have done this with two Samsung TV's to date, and will never buy another. However, I think their refrigerators and AC units are high quality. Just not sure what it takes to fix them, if they go kaput after a few years.

Have both Mitsubishi and Panasonic Inverters without any problems but they are regularly cleaned

The inverters in my experience are worth the extra cost cheaper to run and seem more efficient

Edited by StevieAus