Wheres Good Spaghetti?

Clipped

As a bit of shamless promotion.

My wife and I own two pasta restaurants, which we are pretty proud of. Food is very good, and good prices as well. Nice German beer as well - Paulaner and Erdinger....yum

Bibi's Pasta - Italian Pasta and Pizza

546 Ratchadamnnern-Nai Road

(located in the street directly across from the United Nations Building)

02-629-7148

and Bibi's Pasta

Phuttamonthon Sai 4 (directly across from Mahidol University International College)

Salaya, Nakhonpathom

02-800-2755

post-24265-1170225944_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbowman1993

The Italian word spaghetti seems universal, but its cooking in Thailand doesn't resemble the stuff the immigrants on the west side of Chicago made in the good old days. Celeries and carrots do not belong, and the onions should be finely chopped. Even more so than rice, the noodles must be properly cooked and served. Most of all, what Sicilian or Roman would put ground chicken or pork in spaghetti?

Agreed, the sauce is too runny, almost watery, and there isn't enough. For folks like me who cannot eat Thai food, it's usually a safe fallback to something barely edible.

The Italian word spaghetti seems universal, but its cooking in Thailand doesn't resemble the stuff the immigrants on the west side of Chicago made in the good old days. Celeries and carrots do not belong, and the onions should be finely chopped. Even more so than rice, the noodles must be properly cooked and served. Most of all, what Sicilian or Roman would put ground chicken or pork in spaghetti?

Agreed, the sauce is too runny, almost watery, and there isn't enough. For folks like me who cannot eat Thai food, it's usually a safe fallback to something barely edible.

my ex in the UK, bein' raised in Scotland and on root vegetables useta put both carrots and celery in the spag sauce...I useta become very annoyed when sumpin' tastin' like beef stew useta be served up widde pasta :o ...(picture tutsi as Stanley Kowalski gettin' pissed off at Stella for screwin' up his supper...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Celery, carrot, leek and onions actually have to be added into an original "Bolognaise" style spaghetti sauce!!!

Cooking history:

Many, many years ago an italian cook(from Bologna) started to cook a piece veal for a roast. To get a nice gravy he added a mire poix(onions, carrot, celery and leek) later on added some tomato paste, wine and water, herbs and seasoning, fresh tomatoes.

But (un)fortunately he forget his veal roast for a couple of hours and when opened his pot the veal was that soft it just fell apart.

So he took the meat and passed it through a strainer back into the gravy and served it with spaghetti.

Bolognaise was born :o

Many famous dishes/recipes have such a story behind it.

Interesting, isn't it?

Una festa sui prati-una bella compania.

Gerd

gerd...too bad you are all the way in phuket. you have made some mouth watering posts that have me yearning :o

jbowman -- your first shop is not too far from where i am...not exactly a location Id think of going for italian food though....but might give it a try one of these days. do i get a special discount :D are you opened for dinners? or is it more a lunch place?

gerd...do ye mean she was correct about de carrots an' celery???...ohhhh, noooo...tutsi/Stanley admits his mistake an' finds himself at the bottom ob de stairs in the famous scene in A Streetcar Named Desire yellin' Stella!!!, Stella!!!

Edited by tutsiwarrior

gerd...do ye mean she was correct about de carrots an' celery???...ohhhh, noooo...tutsi/Stanley admits his mistake an' finds himself at the bottom ob de stairs in the famous scene in A Streetcar Named Desire yellin' Stella!!!, Stella!!!

Blanche! these veg first and then dice up into itty bitty parts. Adds a nice flavour. Also a pinch of sugar and cinnamon.

At our shops, all the sauces are made from scratch. Pesto, Carbonara, tomato, etc. No carrots or celery in the sauce, and its not watery, lol.

They are even starting to get the meatballs closer to the way momma used to make. Give it a try!

Open for lunch and dinner at MU branch, closed Sundays. Not particularly fancy, but good food! Open from 11-10 at the UN Branch location

Joe

Edited by jbowman1993

i went to this coffee shop today and on the menu it had spaghetti ! the funny thing was, it was really good lol...if anyone is around rama 9 soi 17 around the ekamai intersection, there is a coffee shop by the 7-11 across from the car dealer called 'brooklyn bridge'...coffee is nice and strong too

spaghetti at a coffee shop....go figure...oh and these guys are thai americans from LA...fluent english, that was a shocker .

At our shops, all the sauces are made from scratch. Pesto, Carbonara, tomato, etc. No carrots or celery in the sauce, and its not watery, lol.

They are even starting to get the meatballs closer to the way momma used to make. Give it a try!

Open for lunch and dinner at MU branch, closed Sundays. Not particularly fancy, but good food! Open from 11-10 at the UN Branch location

Joe

Is there parking nearby?

Do you serve wine as well as beer?

Khon Kaen has a most unusual Italian restaurant for Thailand: It is actually run by Italians. An Italian gentleman, his Thai wife/girlfriend and his Italian mother -- who can only converse in Italian -- runs the kitchen. About as authentic as you can get with many imported ingredients. On the side street next to the Sofitel.

On Thanon Pra Athit near Khaosan road is an Italian restaurant called Primavera and they make lovely pasta ... their spaghetti Pomedoro has a thick tomato and garlic sauce ... lovely stuff :D

i know the place. theres a manU fan too close to my neighbourhood apparently :o

i actually like the pasta at bella napoli....and isnt there a place in Suk 1? can never remember the name....

On Thanon Pra Athit near Khaosan road is an Italian restaurant called Primavera and they make lovely pasta ... their spaghetti Pomedoro has a thick tomato and garlic sauce ... lovely stuff :D

i know the place. theres a manU fan too close to my neighbourhood apparently :D

i actually like the pasta at bella napoli....and isnt there a place in Suk 1? can never remember the name....

They make good pizzas here too Miss MiG ... I'm always lurking to keep an eye on misbehaving gooners ... and shouldn't you be eating French food ....? :o:D

bella at seacon? Im hoping its not branch of my fav place in suk 31...thats Bella Napoli. i think they do the best pasta...and also good pizza. have taken italian friends there, and they also say its very authentic.....

my only complain is since the almost 4 years when i first stumbled upon it (was still finishing up the final touch of refourbishment, the upstairs wasnt done yet, and they didnt have the bigger area on the inside), in last 4 years it has become so popular that you now need to wait for a table especially on the weekends.....preferred the days when some restaurants felt more like my own little hideout and secret :o

I was in Nashville, Tennessee visitin' the grandfolks about 30 years ago an' noticed a banner announcing an italian food festival...I asked my grandfather who had lived there all of his life 'how many italian folks are there in Nashville?'...he spat tobacco juice an' said 'mebbe one, doubt more than two...' :o

if it is true that in Nashville that they can organise an italian food festival 30 years ago with one or two italians why is it that there is no decent spaghetti presently in Bangkok?

Edited by tutsiwarrior