Serial US pedophile jailed for 10 years for having sex with underage boys in Thailand

webfact

Serial US pedophile jailed for 10 years for having sex with underage boys in Thailand

PAUL-ALLEN-SHAPIRO.jpg

Paul Alan Shapiro/File photo

A 71 year old Californian man was yesterday sentenced to 10 years in jail after he travelled to Thailand to have sex with underage boys.

Serial pedophile Paul Alan Shapiro was also ordered to pay $20,000 in compensation to two victims in Thailand.

During sentencing, U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee said Shapiro “exploited and targeted the most vulnerable of people — underage children.”

According to documents released by the US Department of Justice, Shapiro had been travelling to Thailand regularly over a twenty year period to engage in sexual acts with boys under the age of 16.

The court heard how Thai police arrested Shapiro in September 2012 whilst he was in the midst  of engaging in a sex act with a boy in the toilet of a shopping mall.

Shapiro had paid the 13 year old child 300 baht in order to engage in various sex acts with him.

He also photographed himself engaging in sexually explicit acts with his victims.

Following his arrest in 2012, Shapiro spent time in jail in Thailand but was pardoned in 2015 so he could be deported back to the United States to face charges, the Pattaya Mail reported at the time.

After being deported back the United States, he was remanded in federal custody at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Los Angeles.

Shapiro, a retired auto dealership employee, had pleaded guilty a day before he was due to go to trial in July 2017.

On Wednesday, he was brought before U.S. District Court Judge Dolly M. Gee of the Central District of California for sentencing.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, Shapiro will serve 10 years in federal prison, 20 years of supervised release following his prison sentence, and will pay $20,000 total to two victims, both of whom are citizens of the Kingdom of Thailand, read a release from the Department of Justice.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-07

Nasty case. Life would have been better, though at 71, it may well be just that. I will not be shedding tears if he dies first. I hope the boys do actually see the money. My pessimistic side suspects it will somehow find its way into someone elses pockets though.

wonder what the motive are ?

kids have not yet developed the shapes that appear sexy,

so guessing its the cheaper price, in this case 300 baht,

as the kids havnt learned to price them self as of yet

Sadly, there are huge number of men who belong to a vast networks of guys who's fetish is having sex with underage boys and girls, even sadder is the fact that this is very hard to control or regulate and it's here to stay no matter what the costs will be be for those men.....

38 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Why would you do a deal with a parasite like this he should be in jail till his death for what he has been doing .

In case you missed it, he's 71, a 10 year jail sentence is death, a slow death, remember, prisoners have kids, and hate rock spiders with a passion, he will get what's coming to him, that or he will live in fear for those 10 years.

The 20 years of supervised release following his prison sentence, and payment of $20,000 total to two victims, both of whom are citizens of the Kingdom of Thailand, will not happen as he will be dead before he gets out, I hope !!!!

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

Why did the Thais let him go. He should have spent "life" in a Thai jail????

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Shapiro spent time in jail in Thailand but was pardoned in 2015 so he could be deported back to the United States to face charges,

Try reading the article and the answer is right in front of you.

30 minutes ago, NetJunkie said:

Try reading the article and the answer is right in front of you.

Actually, the reason is a little different than what you cited.  If there will be a prosecution abroad, Thailand will usually release the convicted foreigner after serving about 1/3 of the sentence in a Thai prison.  A lot of this has to do with maintaining proper foreign relations between the countries.

The U.S. has a very specific law for dealing with its citizens that travel to foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in illegal sex. https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/citizens-guide-us-federal-law-extraterritorial-sexual-exploitation-children

The law is constitutionally controversial because ordinarily a crime that is committed abroad cannot be prosecuted in the U.S.  The cases that have upheld the constitutionality of the statute have based their rulings on the Commerce Clause, giving Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce.  So the elements of the crime are travel of a US citizen to a foreign country, an illegal sex act occurring in that country, and payment of money (or a quid pro quo) in exchange for that act.

Someone I knew from my school days was sentenced in that same LA federal criminal court for doing the same thing in Cambodia.  He received a 70-year prison sentence two years ago.  I can understand why the community is upset about the length of this creep's sentence.

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

His "motive", was his is a pedophile,that's it.

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sadly, there are huge number of men who belong to a vast networks of guys who's fetish is having sex with underage boys and girls, even sadder is the fact that this is very hard to control or regulate and it's here to stay no matter what the costs will be be for those men.....

Glass still half empty huh?

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Ya think??

This kind of story just keeps on hitting the news. When I first moved here, I was convinced that the problem was overblown, now I don't know what to think. The fact that Thailand is becoming known as a "Pedo paradise" reflects badly on all expats.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Why would you do a deal with a parasite like this he should be in jail till his death for what he has been doing .

At 71, ten years in jail is likely to be until death.

24 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

This kind of story just keeps on hitting the news. When I first moved here, I was convinced that the problem was overblown, now I don't know what to think. The fact that Thailand is becoming known as a "Pedo paradise" reflects badly on all expats.

Part of it is the feminazi revenge on Thailand for providing a lot of middle aged and older guys beautiful consensual legal partners. It takes away from the nasty Catholic scandals in their own backyards.  The Washington Post can't mention LOS in any shape or form without "seedy nightlife," or much worse.  Never mind that age of consent is 12 in Mexico, and very young Latino girls give birth every day in hospitals across the US, at taxpayer expense, without mention of them being too young to consent.

2 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Poor kids.

Dirty old piece of garbage will probably be afforded a presidential welcome and a pardon.

Seems like a trump sort of guy.

the stupidest comment of the year.  Which candidate would outlaw travelling to LO S if she could, and despises older men with younger women?  And is married to a known rapist?

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Certainly nothing new and we have priests, teachers, coaches and others with legitimate power over our children who commit these acts. I first witnessed these atrocities when in Iran in the 70's. I lived in a new housing development in Tehran. Construction crews lived on-site and all had young boys as part of their crews. At night you could hear the young boys' screams of pain. 

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Certainly nothing new and we have priests, teachers, coaches and others with legitimate power over our children who commit these acts. I first witnessed these atrocities when in Iran in the 70's. I lived in a new housing development in Tehran. Construction crews lived on-site and all had young boys as part of their crews. At night you could hear the young boys' screams of pain. 

but the MSM is too busy bashing the homophobic bigot Christians to dare say something that would insult beloved Islam.

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

but the MSM is too busy bashing the homophobic bigot Christians to dare say something that would insult beloved Islam.

Ah, ah, your bias is showing. You went right over the fact that the OP story is about an American and my statements of priests, teachers, and coaches, to attack the MSM. I believe many of these stories are out of MSM news spots. Does it really matter the race, religion, or nationality of a pedophile?

6 hours ago, poanoi said:

Are you crazy as well as blind?!

Archived