ATM withdrawal fees both at home and Thailand

On 6/10/2018 at 1:49 PM, owenm said:

With any international card you are charged currently 220bt for an ATM withdrawal in Thailand through any bank. With my Australian Virgin Global Rewards multi currency card I'm charged $1.95 for the Australian fee, and can have the AU$ moved on the card to one of 10 currencies including the Thai bt. If you take out $AU1000 (23,000bt) in one withdrawal transaction works out at 1% total fee.. But if you withdraw small amounts can be expensive at up to 10% in fees. Bangkok Bank enables withdrawal of 25k bt, some other banks 20-30k.. But at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports sometimes their max withdrawal is 10-15k on foreign card, but still with the 220bt fee. Expensive.. Withdraw max 25-30k and economical, but small amounts can be very expensive.. 

This is a particularly poor deal.

You've already lost out on the AU$ to Baht conversion done on the card before you even get to the ATM.

You didn't think that they changed it at a Spot rate, did you? I would guess they would charge at least 2.25% for the conversion. Add the 1% you mentioned taking out AU$1000 in one go from the ATM and that is still 3.25%.

They've got you by the 'short and curlies' in Oz.

Get a https://www.28degreescard.com.au and use it to pay for hotels and shopping whilst abroad.

No hidden charges in the exchange rate like the prepaid card.

well, i just transferred from home bank to thailand,

fist i had to pay around 185 baht fee in home bank for every transfer

and pay around 50 baht monthly for the service to be unlocked,

and then when the money came today in my bkk bank 5-6 days later

i saw that 210 baht had been taken from this account, too.

so that is roughly 450 baht for a transfer per month,

so not much of cost saving compared to ATM.

the biggest positive about transfer is that i can transfer over 900k baht in a single sitting,

while at ATM i can only transfer max 20-25k at a time

Archived