Old Brit Accused Of Driving Drunk, Killing Rayong Girl

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Thank you for your comments. It's rather a shame then that all that hard earned respected has been thrown away. And an even bigger shame that an innocent young person's life has been lost due to criminal actions. Decide to break the law, you become a criminal.

Only if you get caught as in this case, otherwise we would all have a criminal record

I will now wait to see who the first will be to disagree 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

Good thai drivers , :cheesy:

ok mate. im off for a beer. to much BS for me.

No wonder your so interested in this topic you and your beer habit. Not even a shred of evidence but defending the drunk foreigner. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

No wonder your so interested in this topic you and your beer habit. Not even a shred of evidence but defending the drunk foreigner. 

Can't argue with the fact that Thais generally are the worst drivers in the world though.

Just now, giddyup said:

Can't argue with the fact that Thais are the worst drivers in the world though.

I doubt they are the worst in the world, but many drive bad but a large part drives quite decent. At least here in BKK where I live. But I seen the mentality of people who like their beer who defend their drunk driving with even drunk i drive better then Thais (untrue of course) but I have heard it before. 

But sure I have seen some complete idiots on the roads here in BKK too, but they don't make up the majority. I especially dislike the guys who drive a car like its a motorcycle zig zag through traffic without any thought of what to do next purely reacting not planning.

3 hours ago, transam said:

My mum was still driving at 85...She would take old folk younger than her for their hozzy appointments... Wasn't that nice of the ol' gal...?

Maybe it was nice, that was not the point. It would be nice to jump down a cliff trying to save somebody falling too, but it´s not really smart.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

It seems to be quite normal for these guys to have the attitude it's only Thailand, everybody does it coupled with 'it won't happen to me.'

I know quite a few retirees who regularly drink 5 to 10 beers and drive home thinking that if they are stopped by police it will be 500 baht and carry on. It might be in some cases but when/if they kill someone for sure 500 baht won't work. It is entirely possible a bit of jail time and maybe a flight home is heading his way.

Also I am advised that most Insurance companies here in Thailand as has been the case in Aus and probably other countries for years, now will not cover the driver involved in an accident if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

That there are countries who are worse but record less. 

Death toll is high because its also real busy on the roads here.. you be a real bad driver but if you have almost no traffic its hard to kill someone. 

I would stop now mate if I were you and go have a beer

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Driving drunk, with no license, so probably no insurance either then?

Thai, or Expat, that is wrong and deserves punishment.

Everyone needs to wake up and accept you just cant do this anymore.

It is not acceptable behaviour.

Thai insurance policies typically have intoxication clauses - so if you are drunk - they don't cough up....

That said - if he couldn't be ar$ed to get a driving licence - its unlikely that he's purchased 1st class insurance...

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes I do,   because when an accident happens

Thais go straight in to lie mode.

Also what evidence do you have that he ( the foreigner ) caused the accident ?

besides him being drunk. they are two different things.

even if not,  in the law of the land.

Ps BTW I only drink root beer now days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

You know what they say about making assumptions. :coffee1:

Just now, stanleycoin said:

Yes I do,   because when an accident happens

Thais go straight in to lie mode.

Also what evidence do you have that he ( the foreigner ) caused the accident ?

besides him being drunk. they are two different things.

even if not,  in the law of the land.

Ps BTW I only drink root beer now days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

You know what they say about making assumption. :coffee1:

Yes you started making them.

50 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Also I am advised that most Insurance companies here in Thailand as has been the case in Aus and probably other countries for years, now will not cover the driver involved in an accident if under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Not 100% sure but I think uk comes into that bracket. A bit of topic, by me, some companies in uk would have a clause stating you must have a driving licence as you may be required to drive on business.

Get caught DUI and lose your licence you could be dismissed for breaking your contract conditions. As I say, not 100% sure on it.

Inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed.

Off topic posts and replies have removed.  While there maybe other higher countries with a higher road traffic  death rate than Thailand, I really doubt those countries have a problem with alcohol consumption and drunk drivers. 

Why is it 'Old Brit' in one article and in another one about a different incident 'Australian Man'?

What next "Frog Bloke', 'Kraut ****''- how difficult is it to say British, French or German?

BTW I abhor drink driving and its consequences.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Talk about being an apologist, he tested for high blood alcohol... that is over the limit.  Once you drink and drive your automatically guilty that is how the law usually works. Once you drink and drive you lose most of your rights. 

"He said he tested positive for high blood alcohol. He was also driving without a license and faces charges accordingly."

Well not in normal countries. You are not automatically guilty at all. 

They still have to prove that you directly caused the accident. 

A recent case in Australia showed that even though the man had had 3 beers and was over the limit. he was not the cause of the accident that resulted in a woman's death. 

In fact, she had had a heart attack and her car crossed into his path, and in fact she was the cause of the accident. 

He was found not guilty. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

How do you explain the death toll then?

80% of accidents involve motorbikes - the kinds of bikes that are rarely driven on roads in western countries. All bike riding carries more risk than driving a car, especially in Thailand, due to poor road conditions and poor training / ignorance of both riders and car drivers. 

3 hours ago, cookieqw said:

uk licences run out at 70,  strange they know his name but nothing else obviously not carrying a passport. 

Actually that is not correct that the UK licences run out at 70. 

They permitted to be renewed every 3 years provided that you meet the requirements. See here.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

My grandfather was fatally injured in a road accident in the early 70's due to a drunk driver (before I was born) and I've despised drunk drivers for as long as I can remember because of that. 

If you drink, don't drive! Take a taxi/tuk tuk. 

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

How do you explain the death toll then?

By the number/% of motorbikes compared to many countries, suffice to ask Google. with 13% of death for cars, it should be around 3500 deaths in cars, but to say that on TV is exposing oneself to get into trouble ... and even make some enemies, it  does not worth it and I would not do it anymore  :smile:   there is also the road network completely outdated for our time,  with this madness of U-turns everywhere as the first example, and the road signs of poor quality ...when not missing sometimes  ... I hope no offence with my answer giddyup :cool:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp 

AccidentsByTypeOfVehicle (1).gif

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Driving drunk, with no license, so probably no insurance either then?

Thai, or Expat, that is wrong and deserves punishment.

Everyone needs to wake up and accept you just cant do this anymore.

It is not acceptable behaviour.

In the UK drivers have to take a new driving test and obtain a new licence at age 70. My guess is this guy had difficulties passing a driving test in the UK and maybe why he had no driving licence.

What also comes to mind when last year the half English Thai actress, crashed into a car while drunk and killed a policeman. She got off by offering an apology to the cop`s family and paying some money. Never spent even one hour in jail.

Nevertheless, it doesn`t excuse this old guy and hope the girl`s family receive justice in this case.

25 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

In the UK drivers have to take a new driving test and obtain a new licence at age 70. My guess is this guy had difficulties passing a driving test in the UK and maybe why he had no driving licence.

What also comes to mind when last year the half English Thai actress, crashed into a car while drunk and killed a policeman. She got off by offering an apology to the cop`s family and paying some money. Never spent even one hour in jail.

Nevertheless, it doesn`t excuse this old guy and hope the girl`s family receive justice in this case.

At 70 years old you don't have to take a driving test. You do have to renew your licence (every 3 years) and declare that you are in good health.

http://www.olderdrivers.org.uk/the-law/renewing-your-driving-licence/

13 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Take a bet? We're talking about a 78-year old and perhaps under the influence of alcohol driving. I take the bet. 

we dont know how much he was over the limit!!  if 2 or 3 times over sure he was pissed if 1 or 2 point over the legal limit still soba but not in the eyes of the law and press.

Archived