Old Brit Accused Of Driving Drunk, Killing Rayong Girl

22 minutes ago, manchega said:

disagree, the brit would have had at least a certain amount of training in which this knowledge would be diminished to some degree by drink and sleep.

in the case of the thai driver, no training other than stop and go, no safety aspects to be dimished.

I would take a sleeping drunk brit driver over a thai driver any day of the week, unless of course the thai has demonstrated iot could pass british driving test.

A sleeping Brit just killed someones kid and you are here saying that you would choose a sleeping Brit over any Thai driver, how disgusting.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Jamieson was driving without a license and tested positive for intoxication.

Just like too many Thai drivers, then.

And perhaps the headline writer could find something other than 'old Brit' to spice up his text. I don't tend to see too many references to old Thai. 

It cost a guy I know on Samui 700,000 baht, he was over the limit too. Even though the 20 something lad was coming at him head on with no lights (it was night time) on the wrong side of the road driving a motorcycle.  And a couple of nights in a cell whilst the money was arranged.

2 minutes ago, les Dennis said:

P.S to my own post, he has never been the same since.

Did it make him stop drinking and driving ? Or was he spiteful that the he got all the blame. (i know i would feel bad if i took a life)

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A sleeping Brit just killed someones kid and you are here saying that you would choose a sleeping Brit over any Thai driver, how disgusting.

Agree.

And if Manchega checked he would find that in UK the number of deaths/injuries caused by drink driving is rising year on year. Over 9000 in 2017.

Tin gods are alive and well in Thailand.

44 minutes ago, manchega said:

disagree, the brit would have had at least a certain amount of training in which this knowledge would be diminished to some degree by drink and sleep.

in the case of the thai driver, no training other than stop and go, no safety aspects to be dimished.

I would take a sleeping drunk brit driver over a thai driver any day of the week, unless of course the thai has demonstrated iot could pass british driving test.

What a disgusting post !!

You would take a drunk British driver over a Thai disgusting.

I lost a wife due to a drunken English driver, and find your comments repulsive.

Shame on you.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

" An elderly Briton said Friday he fell asleep behind the wheel when he caused the death of a 10-year-old girl in a car crash."

Seems that everyone who was bashing the Thai driving and saying the Thai driver was responsible should eat a lot of humble pie. You know who you are. 

Its clearly the Brit who was wrong drinking and driving and now he has confessed to it and falling asleep behind the wheel. 

the impression is that a majority of farangs who come here to stay longer ( regardless from which country they come from ) belong in their home countrys to the lower economical and/ or educational classes ..with all the  habits these classes carry..like drinking driving smoking drugs prostitution gambling irresponsible behavior of many kinds...so they fit in well with the thai average...outcome as usual ...like lethal accidents...child abuse...divorce....home violence...street violence...etc etc

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In planning for a few beers after a game of football last night I chose not take my bike and use a Taxi.... 

This very nearly cost me... The taxi driver attempted an impossibly stupid U-Turn and didn't see the Tuk Tuk fast approaching. I screamed 'STOP', the Taxi driver stopped as the Tuk Tuk skidded, swerved round us and nearly toppled over...  Speeding Tuk Tuk + moronic taxi driver....  I may well have been safer for the 5-10 minute journey home on my bike after 4 beers.

My point here is that while there is no evidence that the Thai driver made a mistake, was driving too fast or dangerously and that the Brit admitted to falling asleep at the wheel we have all seen on a daily basis the frequency of dangerous driving on Thailand roads. 

This comment in no way absolves the brit from driving drunk or driving without a licence - Instead it highlights the necessity of ensuring we are riding / driving legally at all times because the chance of being involved in an accident here in Thailand is far greater than we are familiar with in our home countries. 

But but but.

Another attempt to defray responsibility.

The silly old fool was drunk and he drove.

He killed an innocent little girl and destroyed her parents lives.

No excuses.

He should be thrown in clink and prisoners informed who he is and what he has done.

Your attempting to mitigate is abhorrent quite frankly.

Its quite cut and dried. 

If this had happened back in good old back home i suspect you would say nothing

On 6/7/2018 at 12:06 PM, cornishcarlos said:

If it was Thai killed Thai, then a solid Wai and some baht to compensate would be all...

This guy however, is gonna get a roasting, which if he was drunk then he fully deserves !!

No excuse for it but then no excuse for double standards either ?

There are no double standards for farang v Thai. I know some farang who got off with this kind of thing and some Thais who didn't. It's more about who you know and how much cash you have. Also, if you are a naive newbie or not.

I hope the old guy gets treated compassionately, like most Thais do. There is a thing here called karma that many should learn about.

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

Did it make him stop drinking and driving ? Or was he spiteful that the he got all the blame. (i know i would feel bad if i took a life)

It wasn't spite it was remorse and guilt. He stopped drinking and driving because he had to sell the vehicle for payment, but the drinking got worse.

1 minute ago, les Dennis said:

It wasn't spite it was remorse and guilt. He stopped drinking and driving because he had to sell the vehicle for payment, but the drinking got worse.

Sad story, I can understand remorse and guilt.. I think most people would feel remorse and killed if they took an others life. 

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

They also reported earlier he had no current Thai driving licence.

Drunk, fell asleep (really drunk), and no licence.

His age, nationality, former "good reputation" are not relevant. His crimes are.

For some on here ( not all ) the golden rule is if in doubt blame the thais.

If certain still blame the thai

On 6/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, colinneil said:

Driving drunk ( if that is the case) he deserves all he gets, stupid old bugger, at his age should know better.

CONDOLENCES to the poor girls family.

At that age he probably has dementia or some other affliction, possibly even alcoholism. Show some compassion.

My condolence to the parents and family of the young girl.

An infamous end for yet another Farung who went to paradise and thought life is without problems in LOS.

He will pay for the rest of his life for his mistake.

Apart from huge payments he will face the wrath of the Nation who will show their real affection for Farungs.

Better he stayed at home in the U.K. and drank his pints there.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

" An elderly Briton said Friday he fell asleep behind the wheel when he caused the death of a 10-year-old girl in a car crash."

Seems that everyone who was bashing the Thai driving and saying the Thai driver was responsible should eat a lot of humble pie. You know who you are. 

Its clearly the Brit who was wrong drinking and driving and now he has confessed to it and falling asleep behind the wheel. 

At least he admitted it. Didn't blame brake failure , wet road and didn't flee the scene. He is for the high jump, deservedly. RIP little one. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sorry mate but the English guy has admitted to drink driving, and falling asleep, so why try to blame the Thai driver?

That fact has only just been stated, ( he admitted he fell asleep )

Its his fault,   that is sufficient evidence of his his guilt.

Please go back and read my posts from the first one , you will understand then.

i have said no different. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

No humble pie here.

The fact he admitted he fell asleep has only just been stated.

His guilty,  end of, ( that's good evidence of his guilt )

I will still take any falangs side in a road accident situation over a thai's word.

Until good evidence is presented of the falangs guilt. drunk driving or not.

Thais are the worst drivers in the world FACT.

Also terrible liars when the falang is involved in an accident with them. FACT.

You can fly the flag mate, I won't until they behave themselves on the roads.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Agree.

And if Manchega checked he would find that in UK the number of deaths/injuries caused by drink driving is rising year on year. Over 9000 in 2017.

Tin gods are alive and well in Thailand.

That's a big increase, it was 8000 a few years ago.

23 hours ago, robblok said:

The evidence is there a drunk foreigner. But your of the opinion that a drunk foreigner drives better then a sober Thai. Your also forgetting about all the good Thai drivers. People who think like you (not saying you do the same) often drink and drive as they are of the opinion that even drunk they drive better as Thais. 

Yes and he may well have been drunk (the Thai) but that will be ignored and 'cleaned up'. We live here and we know there is not much justice here so do NOT drink and drive - simple!  

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In planning for a few beers after a game of football last night I chose not take my bike and use a Taxi.... 

This very nearly cost me... The taxi driver attempted an impossibly stupid U-Turn and didn't see the Tuk Tuk fast approaching. I screamed 'STOP', the Taxi driver stopped as the Tuk Tuk skidded, swerved round us and nearly toppled over...  Speeding Tuk Tuk + moronic taxi driver....  I may well have been safer for the 5-10 minute journey home on my bike after 4 beers.

My point here is that while there is no evidence that the Thai driver made a mistake, was driving too fast or dangerously and that the Brit admitted to falling asleep at the wheel we have all seen on a daily basis the frequency of dangerous driving on Thailand roads. 

This comment in no way absolves the brit from driving drunk or driving without a licence - Instead it highlights the necessity of ensuring we are riding / driving legally at all times because the chance of being involved in an accident here in Thailand is far greater than we are familiar with in our home countries. 

Its illegal to be on any wheel when affected, including the bicycle. The safest thing is to walk until it becomes illegal to stand upright when affected and we have to crawl to make a piss and crawl home from the pub with front and rear reflexes which also may be unsafe until dedicated crawl lines are in place....:coffee1:

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

At that age he probably has dementia or some other affliction, possibly even alcoholism. Show some compassion.

I think colinneil's post is fair.

The Englishman knowingly went to a bar, consumed sufficient alcohol to render him incapable of being in charge of a motor vehicle and then semi-consciously drove said vehicle towards his home. On the way he fell asleep at the wheel crashed his vehicle and devastated a Thai family.

I have compassion for the Thai family in their grieving.

Compassion for the Englishman is not particularly high on my list.I feel for his wife etc as they will suffer too.

He is facing a short uncertain future inside a place where, at his age, it will be extremely difficult to survive.

He may be suffering from dementia,or alcoholism or any number of issues, BUT, the choice was his. He chose wrong.

Many readers may quietly say to themselves "There but for the grace of god go I" or words to that effect.

3 hours ago, Scotssing said:

The report says the guy lived here 20 years. It also says he hadn't got a driving licence. Putting 2 and 2 together how can anyone drive around Thailand and never be stopped by a police check and asked to show their licence.

The first couple of years I also had no Thai DL. Stopped by the police of course some times, but DL from my home country was ok. Also in minor accident, insurance had no problems.

BTW, not having a Thai DL is not really what matters in this case. I mean he was probably a good driver if not drunk.

I hope that they do give him quite some jail time!

Archived