Students Not Eating Breakfast

I wasn't sure where to put this. Yesterday I visited my friends school to chat with some of her English students and see how their conversation is going. 

One of the questions I asked was "what did you have for breakfast?" Probably half the class hadn't eaten breakfast that day.

Is there anything I can do about this? Should I be doing anything? I know I probably shouldn't get involved, but I slept on it and it's still bothering me today.

This is a school in Sisaket province and I know most of the locals don't have a lot of money (including the school).

All suggestions are welcome.

Its pretty common for people not to eat breakfast, even in Europe. Its not always a matter of money some people just can't eat in the mornings. So don't jump to the conclusion its a money thing or that your way is the only way.

Research has shown though that people who don't eat breakfast are in general more prone to weight gain then those who do but that is about it when talking about risks. 

I wake my 13 year old son about 6 am. He has a wash, cleans his teeth, gets dressed and may or may not eat breakfast.

This morning he had Koko Krunch with milk. After he had gone to school at 06:40 I looked in the fridge and he had left half.

Sometimes he will eat breakfast and othe days not. He can get breakfast at the school if he wants.

You can't force kids to eat. 

quote from robblok  "Research has shown though that people who don't eat breakfast are in general more prone to weight gain then those who do but that is about it when talking about risks." my son is about 170cm tall and weighed last week at 48.7 kg.

I think he has his Mum's genes as her family are tall and skinny.

The biggest impact on students who don't eat breakfast is on their learning.   Students who eat breakfast perform better than students who don't.  

The brain uses a lot of energy and kids are growing.   I don't know that it's essential to have a big breakfast, but it's a good idea to get some food in them at some point before they start classes.  

On 6/8/2018 at 9:15 AM, akirasan said:

One of the questions I asked was "what did you have for breakfast?" Probably half the class hadn't eaten breakfast that day.

What were the actual answers that they gave you? Are you sure they understood the question or that they knew how to answer it.

I can almost guarantee that some of the students replied "no have", because that is something they know how to say.

For those that did eat breakfast, did you have a follow on question of "what did you have?" - if so, even more of a reason for the students to answer "no" to your first question.

As everyone said.  Without asking why, you can't assume it's because they can't afford it.  Some probably truly can't.  Others may choose not to.  When I was in school, I never did.  I'm not a morning person, and I both couldn't eat that early *and* didn't get up early enough to leave any time other than what it took to get ready.  It never bothered me (I didn't feel hungry and probably got as much or more benefit from the extra sleep than I would have from eating.)  Now I eat breakfast and am actually hungry when I don't-- but I eat at my desk when I get to work because I can, which means I'm both not eating too soon upon getting up *and* don't have to wake up extra-early to do so.

If it's going to keep bothering you, maybe further English practice in conversations about whether they usually eat breakfast (I mean, you did ask on only one day), what others in their family may eat, do they like or not like to eat breakfast or what is their favorite meal of the day, etc. would be a way to find out why without having to outright ask "is your family too poor for you to be able to have breakfast?"  (I don't think "what is your favorite breakfast food" would work, right, because I'm always told Thailand doesn't really have "dedicated" breakfast food like the west?  {I have no idea, because I'm fine with eating whatever for whatever meal-- was never that big on most of what westerners would consider "proper" or "correct" breakfast food so I'm not inclined to seek out certain food in the morning and never paid attention to whether Thais do, but from what I read it's just not that common and I see the street vendors selling noodles and curry early...})

Intermittent fasting involves "skipping" or delaying breakfast. This whole idea of "three square meals a day" is very recent. For most of our species' existence as hunters and gatherers, breakfast wasn't a thing. Fasting has proven health benefits, as long as adequate calories are still consumed.

52 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

This morning he had Koko Krunch with milk. After he had gone to school at 06:40 I looked in the fridge and he had left half.

Koko Krunch! That's not breakfast but another sugar-loaded excuse. No wonder he left half.

He chose it himself.

This morning I had a small box of Frosties and another of honey stars. I enjoyed it and ate it all. Did you not eat cereals for breakfast when you were a crabfat?

'Breakfast is the most important meal of the day' was started as a 1944 marketing campaign launched by General Foods, the manufacturer of Grape Nuts, to sell more cereal. There is little scientific evidence that it is and there are quite a few studies to say it is in fact quite harmful (https://health.spectator.co.uk/why-eating-breakfast-is-bad-for-your-health). The general consensus though is this is really just for adults and skipping breakfast can make kids feel tired, restless, or irritable. In the morning, their bodies need to refuel for the day ahead after going without food for 8 to 12 hours during sleep. Their mood and energy can drop by mid-morning if they don't eat at least a small morning meal but they need to concentrate on the following food groups:

• carbohydrates: whole-grain cereals, brown rice, whole-grain breads and muffins, fruits, vegetables
  • protein: low-fat or nonfat dairy products, lean meats, eggs, nuts (including nut butters), seeds, and cooked dried beans
  • fiber: whole-grain breads, waffles, and cereals; brown rice, bran, and other grains; fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts

It's not essential for kids to have breakfast but they may be thinking you are talking about breakfast in the traditional sense so maybe they better question would be 'have you eaten anything so far today' and if that's still a no then maybe you or the school can help by providing some fruit and cereal which can be done relatively cheaply.   

21 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

'Breakfast is the most important meal of the day' was started as a 1944 marketing campaign launched by General Foods, the manufacturer of Grape Nuts, to sell more cereal. There is little scientific evidence that it is and there are quite a few studies to say it is in fact quite harmful (https://health.spectator.co.uk/why-eating-breakfast-is-bad-for-your-health). The general consensus though is this is really just for adults and skipping breakfast can make kids feel tired, restless, or irritable. In the morning, their bodies need to refuel for the day ahead after going without food for 8 to 12 hours during sleep. Their mood and energy can drop by mid-morning if they don't eat at least a small morning meal but they need to concentrate on the following food groups:

• carbohydrates: whole-grain cereals, brown rice, whole-grain breads and muffins, fruits, vegetables
  • protein: low-fat or nonfat dairy products, lean meats, eggs, nuts (including nut butters), seeds, and cooked dried beans
  • fiber: whole-grain breads, waffles, and cereals; brown rice, bran, and other grains; fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts

It's not essential for kids to have breakfast but they may be thinking you are talking about breakfast in the traditional sense so maybe they better question would be 'have you eaten anything so far today' and if that's still a no then maybe you or the school can help by providing some fruit and cereal which can be done relatively cheaply.   

Actually more and more research points out that its better to eat a good breakfast and then slowly taper down what you eat from there on. Research has shown we don't handle a meal the same in the morning as in the evening. 

Your blood sugar stays far lower when you eat in the morning as when you eat at night. They did an experiment in a BBC documentary about it. First eating a Fry up in the morning and later one in the evening. The results were spectacular in the evening the body handled the food far less efficient leading to more fat gain.

Its been known for quite a while that its better to eat a big breakfast a somewhat smaller lunch and then an even smaller dinner. 

Personally I always eat breakfast always have eaten breakfast. I just don't think that its feasible for everyone to eat breakfast. Some just can't eat in the morning. I do think its the best thing to do.

Read only recently that the medical profession has now come to the conclusion that "a good breakfast" is not that important after all ( like a lot of Uther stuff we were led to believe in the old days).

I used to religiously eat breakfast all my life for over 55 years but after reading John Kiefers work on Carb Backloading I stopped and feel much better. No more morning sluggishness and hunger pangs only start eating at around noon and only fat and protein no carbohydrates I have  never felt so good in my life. Breakfast is certainly not essential and only a recent introduction like JohhnyBangkok states, also drinking orange juice in the morning actually not a good idea just good for the orange juice producers to sell their product. As long as they get their allotment of calories, protein and healthy fats on a daily basis all is well.   

On 6/9/2018 at 6:16 AM, Scott said:

The biggest impact on students who don't eat breakfast is on their learning.   Students who eat breakfast perform better than students who don't.  

The brain uses a lot of energy and kids are growing.   I don't know that it's essential to have a big breakfast, but it's a good idea to get some food in them at some point before they start classes.  

Exactly!

An experienced teacher can tell which kids have or have not had breakfast.

My kids have breakfast before school every day.

If yours don't, then you're doing it wrong.

5 hours ago, a1falang said:

Intermittent fasting involves "skipping" or delaying breakfast. This whole idea of "three square meals a day" is very recent. For most of our species' existence as hunters and gatherers, breakfast wasn't a thing. Fasting has proven health benefits, as long as adequate calories are still consumed.

Total crock of shit in regards to school children.

All the Thais I know like elaborate breakfasts that take time to prepare. I'm used to eating cereal (5 minutes), but to most Thai people cereal is baby food.

If someone is a bit rushed they will skip 'breakfast' and either pick up something on the way to work/school or wait until the first break to get something decent into them.

6 hours ago, a1falang said:

Very recent ?

https://www.medicaldaily.com/how-3-meals-day-became-rule-and-why-we-should-be-eating-whenever-we-get-hungry-324892

I think we are starting to stray off topic a bit.   It's not about whether any member does or doesn't eat breakfast.   It's about students.

Some people are simply not hungry early and some people don't respond well physiologically  to eating at particular times of the day.   Most studies show that children who eat breakfast perform better than students who do not.    Students are still growing, so the bodily needs are a little different than adults.

My kids varied about eating habits.   One could eat a huge, heavy breakfast as soon as he got up; another didn't want to touch anything until he'd been up for about 2 or 3 hours.  I tried to make sure that they got a little nutrition to get the body going.  

Most societies, including work and school, don't provide an environment where we can eat whenever we want, so if you can get a little something in them before they start the day, it's probably a boost to their learning ability.  

2 hours ago, exemplary21 said:

Exactly!

An experienced teacher can tell which kids have or have not had breakfast.

My kids have breakfast before school every day.

If yours don't, then you're doing it wrong.

What do you suggest that I do? Stand over a 13, nearly 14 yoear old and threaten him with something if he doesn't eat breakfast? Beat him with a big stick?

He is big enough, old enough and ugly enough to make his own mind up.

If he is hungry he will eat. If not he won't.

Did you force your children to eat if they weren't hungry? 

Did you have any success in doing that?

If you did, perhaps you are the one who is doing it wrong.

Let's try to keep the discussion civil.  

I think for a parent, it's their responsibility to make sure that they are up early enough to get ready and to have breakfast.   A good parent will have breakfast food available that a child is reasonably likely to eat.  

When my kids were younger, I did force them to sit down at the table.   I didn't force them to eat, but once they were seated, they almost always ate.   When they were teens, I encouraged them, but didn't force them.   Even if all I get down them was a glass of milk or juice that was OK.   If they'd eat a piece of toast, I'd be happy.   With teens there are too many other battles to fight.

I have seen parents in Thailand, force feeding their kids.   The kids were enormously overweight and on more than one occasion, I saw kids throw up because they had been given simply too much.  

Breakfast is sort of to help get the engine started, it's not necessarily meant to take you through the entire day.

13 hours ago, ianwheldale said:

I do a 16/8 fast most days so don't eat breakfast. Not a problem

so thats 4PM until 8AM next day??  then your first meal is considered breakfast .

On 6/10/2018 at 8:18 AM, NetJunkie said:

What were the actual answers that they gave you? Are you sure they understood the question or that they knew how to answer it.

I can almost guarantee that some of the students replied "no have", because that is something they know how to say.

For those that did eat breakfast, did you have a follow on question of "what did you have?" - if so, even more of a reason for the students to answer "no" to your first question.

The ones who didn't eat said 'No' or 'Nothing'. These are P5 students and the teacher went through the 4 questions I asked to make sure they understood. Of course you and I both know it's entirely possible that some students still didn't understand.

The rest of them answered with what they ate for breakfast. The question I asked was 'what did you eat for breakfast?', not 'did you eat breakfast?'.  Answers included rice, fried chicken, pork etc. 

I see what you're saying but I think most of them understood what I was asking.

12 hours ago, Scott said:

Let's try to keep the discussion civil.  

I think for a parent, it's their responsibility to make sure that they are up early enough to get ready and to have breakfast.   A good parent will have breakfast food available that a child is reasonably likely to eat.  

When my kids were younger, I did force them to sit down at the table.   I didn't force them to eat, but once they were seated, they almost always ate.   When they were teens, I encouraged them, but didn't force them.   Even if all I get down them was a glass of milk or juice that was OK.   If they'd eat a piece of toast, I'd be happy.   With teens there are too many other battles to fight.

I have seen parents in Thailand, force feeding their kids.   The kids were enormously overweight and on more than one occasion, I saw kids throw up because they had been given simply too much.  

Breakfast is sort of to help get the engine started, it's not necessarily meant to take you through the entire day.

Well I am up at 05:20 and I wake my son at 06:00. This gives him time to wash, dress etc and plenty of time to eat his breakfast before getting the school bus at 06:40, should he wish to do so. There is cereal, fruit, meat, cheese, milk, rice, bread, butter and I can always make him bacon and egg or an omlette.

If he doesn't want breakfast I am certainly not going to force it on him.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, ianwheldale said:

Don't eat before 10AM

Well look at it this way, you say 'I never eat breakfast' and "I fast between 4pm nd 8AM (16/8) and  now 'Don't eat before 10AM'  -  Its still breakfast. I know night workers that don't even get out of bed before 2PM (1400)  then they eat "Breakfast"

46 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Well look at it this way, you say 'I never eat breakfast' and "I fast between 4pm nd 8AM (16/8) and  now 'Don't eat before 10AM'  -  Its still breakfast. I know night workers that don't even get out of bed before 2PM (1400)  then they eat "Breakfast"

When I worked night shifts I ate the all day breakfast in the hotels when I got up around 3 or 4 pm, lunch was about 8 or 9 pm somewhere and I ate dinner around 6 to 8 am.

Do you realise how difficult it is to order a steak meal PLUS a bottle of wine at that time in the morning? Not to mention to housekeeping that I don't need my room cleaned or the bed made until 4pm.

Archived