AIS Next G

Info on AIS webpage.  It just allows you to combine an AIS 4G plus AIS Wifi connection to get faster speed versus using a 4G connection or just an AIS Wifi connection.  Your phone has to support this technology (being able to support the 4G and Wifi connection at the same time) which many models do not yet....most make either a 4G connection or Wifi connection at a time; not both at the same.   The 1Gb speed is the perfect world/laboratory environment max speed.

http://www.ais.co.th/nextg/en/

I think some of the top-end Samsung phones have long had the "Download Booster" feature. This allows one to aggregate a mobile data and WiFi connection, under certain very limited circumstances. And some service providers have been offering this service, previously to off-load some data from their mobile network onto their WiFi network. There are also some third-party apps which attempt to do something similar.

It's like filling up a bucket with one "or" two water hoses.   Using two water hoses at the same time will fill up the bucket faster than just using one of the water hoses.

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's like filling up a bucket with one "or" two water hoses.   Using two water hoses at the same time will fill up the bucket faster than just using one of the water hoses.

Unless both hoses are using the same restricted pipe from the main (international internet connection).

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Not sure how apt that analogy is in this case?

The phone is having to do some aggregation (routing?), so it may or may not be able to utilize the full volume of both WAN connections? And, obviously, you can't really move around much.

Experiences seem so-so. This capability has been around for quite a few years.

• 4 months later...

I just renewed my AIS contract and took on of the Next G packages at 599.  I don't actually use much internet outside but it has 10GB of internet and 80 SMS (that I rarely but sometimes use).  You could be forgiven for thinking that Next G is actually a better than 4G package for your phone's data connection.  It is clear though that it works in conjunction with AIS super-wifi and isn't a stand alone faster than 4G internet that the phone will automatically use per se.  Thus far, setting it up is far from being as easy as their instructions show.

They talk about turning on wifi and selecting AIS auto-connect from the drop down.  However on my supposedly 4G ready phone it doesn't even appear.  I'm guessing you may have to scan the QR code on the page for it to tweak your phone settings for the setting to appear in your wifi drop down list.  As it stands, I've downloaded the AIS Smart Wifi app which it seems will also auto-connect you AIS wifi points as you wander around and re-connect you to your home one when you arrive (but that's something my phone already does).  I'm guessing once connected to AIS wifi, either via the AIS Smart Wifi app, or through your tweaked phone settings, you'll be able to turn on Next G in 'Connection / Setttings'.  I might try it but how often I'll bother with it I don't know.  For what I want to do on the Internet outside I've always been happy enough with the regular 3G / 4G connection for which I don't need to piddle about turning settings off / on.

I'll also have to see how the AIS Smart Wifi app drains the battery, if at all, one of the reasons I don't leave VoLTE turned on.  I always figure the more of these functions you turn on the more your battery will drain.  Never really researched whether it does as neither have been services I've bothered with to date.  At the moment I kinda view Next G as a gimmick that I probably won't use, especially if what you need on the phone to be able to run it drains battery.

Archived