Traffic points system will come in next year - red light infractions deemed only medium serious

rooster59

Traffic points system will come in next year -  red light infractions deemed only medium serious

points 1.JPG

Image: Daily News

Police have said that the points system for driving offences will definitely be introduced in 2019.

But the categories of points might cause some raising of eyebrows especially for foreigners used to more severe penalties.

Going through red lights and going the wrong way are only classified in the "medium" problem bracket.

In total drivers and riders have 12 points to play with each year before getting a ban.

Category one features minor offences such as no helmet or non-wearing of seat belts. That's one point.

Category two is medium that includes going through red lights and going the wrong way on roads. 

Category three is described as serious and includes drink driving, driving under the influence of drugs, speeding and fleeing the scene of an accident. 

For that you will get three points. 

Collect 12 points in a year and you will suffer a 3 month ban.

Get three bans and you will be banned from driving for a year.

Get 12 points in a year again after that and you can kiss goodbye to your right to drive for three years and have to make a new one thereafter.

The measures were announced by Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat who chairs a committee looking into changes in the traffic laws.

A consultative meeting was attended by 500 members of the public in which the points system was revealed by the Maj Gen who said it would definitely come in next year, reported Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-09

points 2.JPG

points 3.JPG

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have to be joking right? For starters, the points per offence are nowhere near enough, especially for red light jumping and going the wrong way down a highway. There is no enforcement, so people will be able to continue to drive like reckless idiots, and I suspect very few if any, will ever rack up enough points to actually get banned.

I didn't notice the punishment for no license, which covers a few million and for driving whilst disqualified.

Implementation is fine for this system as a starting point , 

no doubt it will get refined in time, 

policing this system to make any impact , 

is what we all know is needed.

I can see a big hole in this system, a points system against your license requires "having a license". In reality you would be better off having no license and paying the odd 400 baht fine.

Burn through your points as quick as you can, then drop back to the cheaper, trouble free, no license option.

Not only will police start to offer the "pay now" option, the public will demand the Pay now option.

So if you jump a red light, whilst not wearing a seat belt, after a night out on the razz, how many points do you get ??

3 for being drunk

2 for the red light

Or do we just go for the least serious offense, so no-one loses face ??

Looking fwd to welcoming in the 21st century, gonna be a great New Year party that one ?

18 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

In total drivers and riders have 12 points to play with each year before getting a ban.

This whole nonsense sounds like a board game.

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:
Category three is described as serious and includes drink driving, driving under the influence of drugs, speeding and fleeing the scene of an accident. 
Collect 12 points in a year and you will suffer a 3 month ban.

Incredible, drink/ drive gets you 3 points, so, do it 4 times in a year, get 12 points and a 3 month ban. Laughable..................if it wasn't so serious.

Really this is so stupid it's beyond funny, Drunk and dangerous driving 4 times year before and then you get a clean licence back the next year, so if the 4th offence is in month 11, 1 month without a licence

Pathetic

So let me get that straight: I can drive around stone drunk four times a year and the only consequence - little more than an inconvenience, really - is going to be that my license is suspended for a mere three months. During that period I will of course simply continue driving without license, and just as stone drunk as previously, without accruing more points as I've already maxed them out anyway.

Yup, that ingenious system is without doubt going to have a great impact on improving road safety.

points may be deducted unless of course you pay the appropriate fine which undoubtably will still apply.

If they were really serious about this start with the basics. no speeding, no drink driving, no reckless driving. Just focus on and enforce these. At the same time completely revamp the driving lessons and test process.

Until they start to do meaningful things nothing will change. but do they want to disrupt what is a very lucrative revenue stream with tea money?

It all just sounds peeing in the wind if you ask me

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

So let me get that straight: I can drive around stone drunk four times a year and the only consequence - little more than an inconvenience, really - is going to be that my license is suspended for a mere three months. During that period I will of course simply continue driving without license, and just as stone drunk as previously, without accruing more points as I've already maxed them out anyway.

Yup, that ingenious system is without doubt going to have a great impact on improving road safety.

i agree, drink driving should be an immediate arrest and ban from driving, simple as that. If caught more then once then a jail term applies, this is how it is everywhere else. 

I say again, do they really want to do this? If enforcement really did change driving habits the tea money dries up. 

No accident, no damage, nobody hurt = no fine, no penalty, nothing

If accident, if damage, any body hurt = big fine, big penalty

Don't like anyone getting punish for not causing harm. Think about it

And to make the problems go away....

You can use this guide to negotiate at the roadside.

Category one features minor offences such as no helmet or non-wearing of seat belts. That's one point =300Bt

Category two is medium that includes going through red lights and going the wrong way on roads.= 500Bt

Category three is described as serious and includes drink driving, driving under the influence of drugs, speeding and fleeing the scene of an accident = 1000Bt

Collect 12 points in a year and you will suffer a 3 month ban = 2000Bt

Get three bans and you will be banned from driving for a year = 3000Bt

Get 12 points in a year again after that and you can kiss goodbye to your right to drive for three years and have to make a new one thereafter= 5000Bt

Foreigners can add the usual percentage in line with the two tiered system.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

For starters, the points per offence are nowhere near enough, especially for red light jumping and going the wrong way down a highway.

The points are enough, the enforcement won't be though....we all know your avarage Thai will fill 12 points in no later than a week lol

After reading the article, I thought it was about a new board game being advertised.  Then, I realised that I was in Thailand, and it all made sense.

Nothing more I can say that hasn't been said a hundred times before.

God help us all!!!

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They have to be joking right? For starters, the points per offence are nowhere near enough, especially for red light jumping and going the wrong way down a highway. There is no enforcement, so people will be able to continue to drive like reckless idiots, and I suspect very few if any, will ever rack up enough points to actually get banned.

I didn't notice the punishment for no license, which covers a few million and for driving whilst disqualified.

Indeed. And how many hiso elite well connected people will get points, bans, and be inconvenienced by this?

Remember the doc who ran over a security guard? That case seems to have quietly died. Ah, but no points proposed that!

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The measures were announced by Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat who chairs a committee looking into changes in the traffic laws

After successful implementation of this exceedingly auspicious system, I suspect he will be promoted and put in charge of a much needed trafficking penalty system. Wonder how many points the boat captains receive per foreign slave worker.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There is no pleasing some people on this forum, <deleted> man its a start 

Driving without number plate or fake plate or overpainting plate? Number plates are the official document and when someone changes it or do not use it shut to get a big punishment and several points.

IMG_4344.JPG

Archived