Traffic points system will come in next year - red light infractions deemed only medium serious

rooster59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is incredible that the BIB think they have the authority to make these decisions. What Western country allows the Police to make the rules and decide on the penalties. In the UK we have Parliament, Magistrates and Judges with Juries to make these judgments. It is obvious that the BIB have no idea what the major causes of accidents are.

You can bet your life that these new laws will be applied unevenly - i.e. we will cop for it more than a Thai national will.  With that in mind, I'm a little concerned that speeding is classed as serious - I'll just have to do what the Thai's do and take my number plates off ?.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can see a big hole in this system, a points system against your license requires "having a license". In reality you would be better off having no license and paying the odd 400 baht fine.

Burn through your points as quick as you can, then drop back to the cheaper, trouble free, no license option.

Not only will police start to offer the "pay now" option, the public will demand the Pay now option.

Check point time tables: helmet 9am to 10am, license 3pm to 4pm, red lights 1pm to 2pm when most offenders are at work ?

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The Thais will treat it like a TV game show. He who gets the most points wins. 

Prior to this new system we have only had fines. From 400 baht up to 20,000 baht. I am assuming that the fines will continue so therefore the points system gives some accountability ... not as much as say Europe ... but watch this space ?

Just now, Cochrane said:

Prior to this new system we have only had fines. From 400 baht up to 20,000 baht. I am assuming that the fines will continue so therefore the points system gives some accountability ... not as much as say Europe ... but watch this space ?

Thank you Newbie. You are the supreme optimist. This is NOT Europe.

I guess with the RTP who have exhibited very limited experience in traffic matters....what else would anyone expect but punitive penalties for serious breaches.

And it's obviously too difficult to take examples from the international scene.....it doesn't exist... Thailand is the centre of the universe.

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They have to be joking right? For starters, the points per offence are nowhere near enough, especially for red light jumping and going the wrong way down a highway. There is no enforcement, so people will be able to continue to drive like reckless idiots, and I suspect very few if any, will ever rack up enough points to actually get banned.

I didn't notice the punishment for no license, which covers a few million and for driving whilst disqualified.

Thailand

13 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

points may be deducted unless of course you pay the appropriate fine which undoubtably will still apply.

If they were really serious about this start with the basics. no speeding, no drink driving, no reckless driving. Just focus on and enforce these. At the same time completely revamp the driving lessons and test process.

Until they start to do meaningful things nothing will change. but do they want to disrupt what is a very lucrative revenue stream with tea money?

It all just sounds peeing in the wind if you ask me

And that, of course, is absolutely sensible, but sadly it's just not going to happen.

19 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can see a big hole in this system, a points system against your license requires "having a license". In reality you would be better off having no license and paying the odd 400 baht fine.

Burn through your points as quick as you can, then drop back to the cheaper, trouble free, no license option.

Not only will police start to offer the "pay now" option, the public will demand the Pay now option.

Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it least it's a start. The no license loophole existed in Australia as well for ages. It was always better to have no license as that was all you could be fined for, regardless of the traffic offences and the fine was paltry. If memory serves I was still getting away with it in the 90's in Oz.

19 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So if you jump a red light, whilst not wearing a seat belt, after a night out on the razz, how many points do you get ??

3 for being drunk

2 for the red light

Or do we just go for the least serious offense, so no-one loses face ??

Looking fwd to welcoming in the 21st century, gonna be a great New Year party that one ?

...will there be a 'black market' for points.

You have to ask yourself   why is it that the Thai authorities choose not to introduce the western worlds proven systems of regulating driving standards .   This introduction on a variation of the European system is tinkering around which still gives the police the option to settle at the roadside and can also be bragged about that Thailand has a drivers licence penalty enforcement , as of the western world .    So to all of the critics on this posting you have it wrong as the main concern is to keep the money rolling in ,under a new guise , which is the way that it works here and not to improve the driving habits because its not in their interest to shoot themselves in the foot and deprive themselves of money  .   

I think it safe to say the people ridiculing the effort are the people moaning the loudest about the lack of enforcement. 

Likely the same people that get pinched for speeding insist they were stopped because they are a foreigner.

14 hours ago, Lampang2 said:

An attempt.

But the police turns a blind eye to almost anything, so unclear who will uphold it.

Only hope is to the automatic cameras that are not lazy, can't be bribed and works after 16 o clock

Those who need money for lunch or school fees

20 hours ago, kannot said:

all well and good  but the "standard"  issue  things are CRAP, the paint almost washes off them over a few  years, better would be plastic with letters that wont fade away

This plate was overpainting with white color and I saw many of them, front and back plates.

Archived