Traffic points system will come in next year - red light infractions deemed only medium serious

rooster59

So this is going to reduce Thailand's road carnage from No 1 worldwide to still No 1 worldwide.. Good job.. Ridiculous point system.. I can run a red-light and only 3 pts lost.. 4 chances to lose my license for how long? Who gets a pat on their back.. Hopefully not PM Prayut.. Is anyone getting serious or not?? When is the punishment going to be a real deterrent?? 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So this is going to reduce Thailand's road carnage from No 1 worldwide to still No 1 worldwide.. Good job.. Ridiculous point system.. I can run a red-light and only 3 pts lost.. 4 chances to lose my license for how long? Who gets a pat on their back.. Hopefully not PM Prayut.. Is anyone getting serious or not?? When is the punishment going to be a real deterrent?? 

Given there are many people that run multiple red-lights each day, I think it could work out well.

You can’t go from it being okay to a severe penalty overnight.

This plate was overpainting with white color and I saw many of them, front and back plates.

If you’re talking about the license plates, a few years back there was a big batch of bad plates. The problem was resolved, but a lot of the washed out plates are still around.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:35 AM, cornishcarlos said:

So if you jump a red light, whilst not wearing a seat belt, after a night out on the razz, how many points do you get ??

3 for being drunk

2 for the red light

Or do we just go for the least serious offense, so no-one loses face ??

Looking fwd to welcoming in the 21st century, gonna be a great New Year party that one ?

Sadly, we won't be around in 1500 years to enjoy the celebration.  

On 6/9/2018 at 10:33 AM, Peterw42 said:

I can see a big hole in this system, a points system against your license requires "having a license". In reality you would be better off having no license and paying the odd 400 baht fine.

Burn through your points as quick as you can, then drop back to the cheaper, trouble free, no license option.

Not only will police start to offer the "pay now" option, the public will demand the Pay now option.

One very big problem with your ‘no licence’ Idea is that in the event of an accident, you will also have ‘no insurance’...

This is a gentle way to introduce the points system which can work well. Speeding should not be category 3, more like 1 or 2.

When people are used to the system the points can be gradually increased to triple what they are starting at. The fines and disqualification times can also be increased over time. 

Should have been introduced years ago.

3 hours ago, dragons70 said:

One very big problem with your ‘no licence’ Idea is that in the event of an accident, you will also have ‘no insurance’...

Our Thai insurance covers drivers without licenses. Not sure if this is good or bad but it did cost more.

There needs to be a very strong deterrent to driving without a license. Starting with impounding the vehicle.

Our Thai insurance covers drivers without licenses. Not sure if this is good or bad but it did cost more.
There needs to be a very strong deterrent to driving without a license. Starting with impounding the vehicle.

I would much rather people are driving with insurance and without a license, than driving with a license and without insurance.

On 9 June, 2018 at 10:35 AM, cornishcarlos said:

So if you jump a red light, whilst not wearing a seat belt, after a night out on the razz, how many points do you get ??

3 for being drunk

2 for the red light

Or do we just go for the least serious offense, so no-one loses face ??

Looking fwd to welcoming in the 21st century, gonna be a great New Year party that one ?

We are already in the 21st Century; or did you miss something on December 31st 1999?  Or maybe you're referring to the Thai calendar, in which case we are in the 26th Century - strange as it may seem from what we see around us! Then since it is 1439 in the Islamic Calendar, makes it the 15th Century right now, which might be a good one for the Thais to adopt - fits much better with what can be observed here.

and just because Somchai has a license means he can drive well ???

or as it appears from other comments,

if no have license means cannot drive safely ???

IDIOTS in action and it ain't the thai drivers the posters are referring to

• 3 weeks later...

One problem is their DUI limit....Went to dinner in Patts one night...had a couple beers during dinner and stopped in a shit hole bar and had another......got pulled over and blew a .08....which is legal here in the States.....but the Thais are saying .04....half of that....total cluster <deleted>....Guys are making comments about 4 DUI's per year being jack shit....BS to that....1 beer an hour and yer DUI material....got new's for the Thais.....i will go somewhere else...,i've been saying for a long time....they are gonna <deleted> themselves out of their Cash Cow

On 6/10/2018 at 7:19 AM, mogandave said:

Given there are many people that run multiple red-lights each day, I think it could work out well.

You can’t go from it being okay to a severe penalty overnight.

It might be just enough of a deterrent ...especially if they start to give the Thais a fine....if they would just do that they would get results....Farlang always have to pay up ....or ship out

41 minutes ago, Kermac said:

One problem is their DUI limit....Went to dinner in Patts one night...had a couple beers during dinner and stopped in a shit hole bar and had another......got pulled over and blew a .08....which is legal here in the States.....but the Thais are saying .04....half of that....total cluster <deleted>....Guys are making comments about 4 DUI's per year being jack shit....BS to that....1 beer an hour and yer DUI material....got new's for the Thais.....i will go somewhere else...,i've been saying for a long time....they are gonna <deleted> themselves out of their Cash Cow

So you're moving someplace where DUI is legal?

2 hours ago, Kermac said:

it's actually .05, but I agree that limit is a somewhat too low. I do think .07 or 0.8 is good.

what's hilarious is that driving with .051 is a more serious offense than a red light or driving the wrong way !!!!

Guess nobody will be losing their licence then. To get a fine or receive a point punishment means the road rules have to be enforced (never going to happen) which means police actually have to do some work besides sit in their boxes or look for helmet infringement by foreigners (never going to happen). I see people braking road rules all the time, right in front of officers and nothing happens. Sometimes I wonder if the police themselves even know the rules. 

When I read this, I jokingly said to be my wife, "Hey just think, when we go back next year, people will actually have changed how they drive"
She looked at me incredulously, rolled her eyes, laughed, then mumbled something in Thai.

That was all the confirmation I needed! LOL

5 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

... I see people braking road rules all the time, right in front of officers and nothing happens. ...

The other day, I took a cruise around the streets of downtown Loei on Google street view.  Traffic cop in the only  circle being passed by motorcyclists, mostly without helmets. Another road, two guys on a sidecar rig.  No helmets, no license plate. 

40 years ago, I got a lifetime motorcycle license.  No one told me that I needed a license plate.  And I didn't.  555

Archived