BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Frenchman reports sale of Nazi inspired goods to Pattaya Tourist Police

12 minutes ago, missoura said:

For an upcoming project, I needed some old Thai wood and bought a few posts only to find this graffiti on one.  I hadn't planned on sanding these posts, but now it looks like I have to.

Nazi sign.JPG

Those aren't swastikas. 

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

May offend people??? really? is that what you get form millions of people perished and civilizations of europe nearly wiped out? offended people?...

Hey, you won't see me buying or wearing that crap.  Or a Stalin T-shirt, or a pair of Idi Amin shorts, or a Pol Pot ballcap or...or...

But unless they're calling people to violence, their free speech rights trump my sensitivity.  And yours.

7 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

Did he complain about the Che Guevara shirts? 

Reads like you won't have a problem to compare watermelons with peanuts too.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Hey, you won't see me buying or wearing that crap.  Or a Stalin T-shirt, or a pair of Idi Amin shorts, or a Pol Pot ballcap or...or...

But unless they're calling people to violence, their free speech rights trump my sensitivity.  And yours.

Hey big hero, let's see them sell stuff with the prophet Muhammad pictures on it huh, or sell stuff mocking Islam or muslims and than we can see how far 'free speech' will work for them... unbelievable that free speech right give anyone to forget or distorted history, or worse, pretend that nothing has happened, and no matter in which country they are....

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Hey big hero, let's see them sell stuff with the prophet Muhammad pictures on it huh, or sell stuff mocking Islam or muslims and than we can see how far 'free speech' will work for them... unbelievable that free speech right give anyone to forget or distorted history, or worse, pretend that nothing has happened, and no matter in which country they are....

Wow.  Congratulations.  You just made my case and shot yours in the ass.  Well done.

17 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Those aren't swastikas. 

Maybe if you use a mirror.

I remember this being reported some time back. Obviously nothing has happened and I doubt the police are interested. They are probably part owners of the shop that is selling the stuff, or at the very least collecting "insurance" from the owner.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Wow.  Congratulations.  You just made my case and shot yours in the ass.  Well done.

It's not about 'a case' and i'm not here to win arguments with anyone..it's about doing the right thing and remembering and learning from history.. and if free speech is more important to you that history that i have nothing more to say to you here...

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

1) They don't understand.

2) Even if they did understand, they wouldn't give a Scheiße.

It's called lack of education and lack of brains.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Students who created the mural were said to be unaware of the significance of including an image of Adolf Hitler.

Darksidedog replied - "Which shows quite clearly the Thai world history lessons are totally lacking. They know their own history inside out, or at least the version they are taught, but global events just pass them by. Many here are unaware that world war 2 even happened".

You are quite correct, but I also wonder how many Western students know anything about, say, Chiang Kai-shek, Sun Yat-Sen or more recently, Pol-pot and what about Mao Tzedung?

I might also suggest asking the same students what they know about WW l and WW ll, you might get a nasty surprise!

Seen similar goods for sale outside Central, all fake or copies goods no original stuff.

4 minutes ago, planemad said:

Darksidedog replied - "Which shows quite clearly the Thai world history lessons are totally lacking. They know their own history inside out, or at least the version they are taught, but global events just pass them by. Many here are unaware that world war 2 even happened".

You are quite correct, but I also wonder how many Western students know anything about, say, Chiang Kai-shek, Sun Yat-Sen or more recently, Pol-pot and what about Mao Tzedung?

I might also suggest asking the same students what they know about WW l and WW ll, you might get a nasty surprise!

Thai kids are by far very poorly educated when it comes to world affairs and history, and when they see that the Nazi paraphernalia are being sold freely and others are wearing Nazi uniforms for parades and fun shows they learn the Nazi were probably brave and victorious people and Hitler was a humanitarian of the decade and good man and some kind of a hero, and without someone teaching them otherwise, this knowledge will stay with them forever...