Frenchman reports sale of Nazi inspired goods to Pattaya Tourist Police

rooster59

2 hours ago, phycokiller said:

Im not normally against this sort of thing but the way the world is going I would like to see them banned until the adults in the room start acting like grown ups again

What adults. The world seems populated with perennial adolescents.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the Frenchman's ire, I personally believe that it is in the highest of bad taste, I was in the British Army and my first posting was to Germany, I joined what was then known as BAOR British Army Of the Rhine, I was there for quite a few years from 1971 which remember was only 26 years from the end of the war, I have seen the old Wermacht barracks, and also visited Bergen Belson, I have also had some very good German friends who were grateful to see the back of Herr Hitler and his murderous regime, I also have some very good German friends here in Thailand, I would have thought that they would be mortified to see this crap openly on sale, the Nazi movement whilst it should not be forgotten, it certainly should not be glorified.

And as an afterthought, as one poster has already said, if this was in the wider world and people were selling inappropriate images of Buddha on T Shirts there would be a massive outcry from the Thais. 

6 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

1) They don't understand.

2) Even if they did understand, they wouldn't give a Scheiße.

Thais love Hitler! But they don't understand that he, Hitler, would have sent them right to Nazi concentration camp, if he had won the war and conquered Thailand. Besides, most Thais don't care, or know about their own country's history, so why should they care about world history...

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Sadly, I have to agree with this.

The only Thai I ever met with knowledge of the Second World War, was nearly thirty years ago when a woman from Chiang Rai was telling me that her parents remembered the Japanese marched passed their village, presumably on their way towards Burma.

How much do you know about the local wars here?

You see this in parades in America praised by Trump. I've seen Nazi memorabilia on sale, discreetly. The nice thing about free speech is it helps identify your enemies. It also promoted discussion and helps enlighten the ignorant. I talked with a woman friend in Japan who had never heard of WWII. They don't teach it in the schools. She had heard of a dust up referred to as The Pacific War. Something to do with China.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Although this isnt in France .

He seems to think that everyone should adhere to his way of thinking and anyone who thinks differently should be banned .

Maybe Hitlers time in France did have some effect on French people after all

Not only in France,,,, There still a Lot of Hate in a few more countries that AH and his Cronies occupied during the 2nd World War,,,   

5 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Hitler was a loser, literally. Who wants a losers memorabilia ! You wanna get Churchill stuff

Or if you REALLY want to buy mass murderer psychopathic lunatic stuff buy STALIN!! 

i remember only a few days after 9/11 they had stalls selling bin laden t-shirts everywhere in bkk. kind of che guevara style. they had no clue who he is or anything about the whole, just nothing. kids really. i will note that i think there is some empathy for hitler and the nazis amongst some thais i've met but again they really don't know anything about it. forgive the ignorance

A lot of the teachers don't even know of WW2, certainly not the dates ,which is odd, given that Thailand was most certainly affected by the war, mainly by the Japanese invasion and occupation, which has largely been forgotten.  However, NAZI memorabilia is not illegal here, and it isn't in the UK either. I remember when I was at school in the 70's, one of the boys collected genuine NAZI items, including flags , belts and buckles, SS  caps, tunics etc. After school he set up as an advisor on war movies, and was/is very successful , working on Saving private Ryan and many other blockbusters.

There are also many reenactment societies in the UK and France, that dress up as NAZI and American and British troops to commemorate the Normandy landings, Dunkirk, and so on. Driving around northern France in full regalia. This complaining Frenchman is presumably ignorant of such events.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

A lot of the teachers don't even know of WW2, certainly not the dates ,which is odd, given that Thailand was most certainly affected by the war, mainly by the Japanese invasion and occupation, which has largely been forgotten.  However, NAZI memorabilia is not illegal here, and it isn't in the UK either. I remember when I was at school in the 70's, one of the boys collected genuine NAZI items, including flags , belts and buckles, SS  caps, tunics etc. After school he set up as an advisor on war movies, and was/is very successful , working on Saving private Ryan and many other blockbusters.

There are also many reenactment societies in the UK and France, that dress up as NAZI and American and British troops to commemorate the Normandy landings, Dunkirk, and so on. Driving around northern France in full regalia. This complaining Frenchman is presumably ignorant of such events.

thailand has never been invaded or occupied by anyone 5555

it's the most powerful country in the world. got subs and everything

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Mr Jandaeng reported the sale of the goods to Pattaya Tourist Police, telling them that if such things were on sale in his native France, the person selling them could face up to 10 years in jail.

I'm sure that Mr Jandaeng come in pattaya for temple and beach and I hope he doesn't forget that in his native France buy a sexual act is illegal and it could be fine 1500 euro.

Yes I forget prostitution "doesn't exist" in Thailand.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, hkt83100 said:

Which one is behaving better, your Peugeot or your Corolla KE70? Maybe make one car out of two? SCNR ?

6 hours ago, missoura said:

For an upcoming project, I needed some old Thai wood and bought a few posts only to find this graffiti on one.  I hadn't planned on sanding these posts, but now it looks like I have to.

Nazi sign.JPG

It was a buddhist symbol long before it was a nazi one. 

Some years ago I had a university educated Thai GF sitting in the passenger seat of my car driving through Chiang Mai. Emblazoned on the back window of the pick-up truck we were following was an image of Che Guevara. Unprompted she exclaimed with a chuckle:

"Look at that; I bet the driver doesn't even know who it is!"

I waited a moment before asking her if SHE knew who it was.

"Hitler" came her reply.

After pointing out that it wasn't, she backtracked and said:

"No, no, sorry, it's that guy who smokes alot of ganga..."

She meant Bob Marley.

Fact is, like it or not, images of famous people in history become icons of fashion, without there being any understanding of who they were or what they represented. No offense is meant by Thai people who display them.

8 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Fact is, like it or not, images of famous people in history become icons of fashion, without there being any understanding of who they were or what they represented. No offense is meant by Thai people who display them.

For years, I thought those stickers of Serpico were pictures of Eric Clapton, before he cleaned up his act. 

What an a-ha moment when I realized what they really were...

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

For years, I thought those stickers of Serpico were pictures of Eric Clapton, before he cleaned up his act. 

What an a-ha moment when I realized what they really were...

Ha ha, yes. I believe the reason truck drivers love to have his image on their mudflaps is because Serpico symbolises protection from corrupt police.

28 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Some years ago I had a university educated Thai GF sitting in the passenger seat of my car driving through Chiang Mai. Emblazoned on the back window of the pick-up truck we were following was an image of Che Guevara. Unprompted she exclaimed with a chuckle:

"Look at that; I bet the driver doesn't even know who it is!"

I waited a moment before asking her if SHE knew who it was.

"Hitler" came her reply.

After pointing out that it wasn't, she backtracked and said:

"No, no, sorry, it's that guy who smokes alot of ganga..."

She meant Bob Marley.

Rubbish of course. No offence. Sorry about the GF.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Rubbish of course. No offence. Sorry about the GF.

Well, she ain't my GF any more!

I stick by my observation. Fact is that if a person has no knowledge of what a symbol actually symbolises, or of what the person in an image actually did - and that applies to many even university educated Thais - they cannot be accused of meaning offense.

Some off topic and troll posts have been removed also replies

We are not talking about ancient Buddhist symbols we are discusing Nazi goods on sale in Pattaya

More likely that these items are being sold and mostly bought by western tourists and expats. I`ve met many Farangs here with ultra right wing extremist views, probably the same bunch that post on here who think this is acceptable.

I don`t like either, should burn all that crap.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

So let me understand here, you don't see anything wrong with glorifying Hitler and his murderous rejim? and what happened is happened and let bygone be bygone as if it was nothing and not a genocide on a humongous proportions... you're indeed showing unbelievable ignorance here..

Thats not at all How i interprated his post?

3 minutes ago, Voodoochile said:

The swastika is actually a bhuddiste symbol to begin with, the aryens/nazi's just flipped it over changed the rotating direction.

(look it up)

maybe be that is part of the confusion in thailand?

The nazis also changed the colour , the background colour and tilted it , making it different to the Buddhist symbol .

The nazi swastika and the Buddhist symbol are two different things

6 minutes ago, Voodoochile said:

The swastika is actually a bhuddiste symbol to begin with, the aryens/nazi's just flipped it over changed the rotating direction.

(look it up)

maybe be that is part of the confusion in thailand?

There's no confusion. Stop it. Just look at the stuff (Soi Buakaow market, Tuesdays and Fridays, near the corner at end where they sell  pets).

Just now, sanemax said:

The nazis also changed the colour , the background colour and tilted it , making it different to the Buddhist symbol .

The nazi swastika and the Buddhist symbol are two different things

For us clearly, but maybe not for them?

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There's no confusion. Stop it. Just look at the stuff (Soi Buakaow market, Tuesdays and Fridays, near the corner where they sell  pets.

What do you mean "stop it" (who the f are you my mom) i was just trying to find an explanation.

Archived