Frenchman reports sale of Nazi inspired goods to Pattaya Tourist Police

rooster59

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

thought it was against the French

Apparently so

n 1940–1941, Thailand fought a brief conflict against the French colonial authorities in French Indochina, which resulted in Thailand annexing some territories in western Cambodia and northern and southern Laos. These were among the territories which the Kingdom of Siam had ceded to France in 1893 and 1904, and nationalist Thais considered them to belong to Thailand.

and

The monument is entirely fascist architecture in design. This is in contrast with another prominent monument of Bangkok, the Democracy Monument, which uses indigenous Thai forms and symbols. The central obelisk, although originally Egyptian, has been frequently used in Europe and the US for national and military memorials. Its shape suggests both a sword. Here it is executed in the shape of five bayonets clasped together. Five statues, representing the army, navy, air force, police, and militia, are depicted in Western "heroic" style, familiar in the 1940s in both fascist and communist states. They were created by the Italian sculptor Corrado Feroci, who worked under the Thai name Silpa Bhirasi. The sculptor did not like the combination of his work with the obelisk, and referred to the monument as "the victory of embarrassment"

53 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

No John.  Victory over the French in WWII

Yes seems  you are correct about the French but not WWII

n 1940–1941, Thailand fought a brief conflict against the French colonial authorities in French Indochina, which resulted in Thailand annexing some territories in western Cambodia and northern and southern Laos. These were among the territories which the Kingdom of Siam had ceded to France in 1893 and 1904, and nationalist Thais considered them to belong to Thailand.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes seems  you are correct about the French but not WWII

WWII started in 1939.  French Thai war 1940.  The French had lost to Germany and the Thais thought they were easy pickings.  Thais sign secret treaty with Japan becoming allies and then stage a dummy resistance to an Axis invasion for an hour.  Part of WWII by my reckoning. Thais and Nazis were allies so the swastika thing is natural.

3 hours ago, johng said:

Because that celebrates the victory of Thais over Nazis

( and everyone else who tried to conquer the un-conquerable )

No it doesn't.

A simple Google search would give you this from Wikipedia and there are more sites out there as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Monument_(Thailand)

In 1940–1941, Thailand fought a brief conflict against the French colonial authorities in French Indochina, which resulted in Thailand annexing some territories in western Cambodia and northern and southern Laos. These were among the territories which the Kingdom of Siam had ceded to France in 1893 and 1904, and nationalist Thais considered them to belong to Thailand.

The fighting between the Thais and the French in December 1940 and January 1941 was brief and inconclusive. Fifty-nine Thai troops were killed and the final territorial settlement was imposed on both parties by Japan, which did not want to see a prolonged war between two regional allies at a time when it was preparing to launch a war of conquest in Southeast Asia. Thailand's gains were less than it had hoped for, although more than the French wished to concede. Nevertheless, the Thai regime of Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram celebrated the outcome of the war as a victory, and the monument was commissioned, designed, and erected within a few months.

The monument became an embarrassment in a more political sense in 1945 when the Allied victory in the Pacific War forced Thailand to evacuate the territories it had gained in 1941 and return them to France. Many Thais regard the monument as an inappropriate symbol of militarism and a relic of what they now see as a discredited regime. Nevertheless, the monument remains one of Bangkok's most familiar landmarks.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No it doesn't.

Yes I was already corrected  and stood in the "dunces" corner for half an hour already.

I was (trying) being a bit facetious  with  the  "conquer the un-conquerable "

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No it doesn't.

A simple Google search would give you this from Wikipedia and there are more sites out there as well.

In 1940–1941, Thailand fought a brief conflict against the French colonial authorities in French Indochina, which resulted in Thailand annexing some territories in western Cambodia and northern and southern Laos. These were among the territories which the Kingdom of Siam had ceded to France in 1893 and 1904, and nationalist Thais considered them to belong to Thailand.

The fighting between the Thais and the French in December 1940 and January 1941 was brief and inconclusive. Fifty-nine Thai troops were killed and the final territorial settlement was imposed on both parties by Japan, which did not want to see a prolonged war between two regional allies at a time when it was preparing to launch a war of conquest in Southeast Asia. Thailand's gains were less than it had hoped for, although more than the French wished to concede. Nevertheless, the Thai regime of Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram celebrated the outcome of the war as a victory, and the monument was commissioned, designed, and erected within a few months.

The monument became an embarrassment in a more political sense in 1945 when the Allied victory in the Pacific War forced Thailand to evacuate the territories it had gained in 1941 and return them to France. Many Thais regard the monument as an inappropriate symbol of militarism and a relic of what they now see as a discredited regime. Nevertheless, the monument remains one of Bangkok's most familiar landmarks.

Also the French were a main cause of the Vietnam War.

I've never met a Thai who was embarrassed by the Victory monument.  I should add I've never met a Thai who knew what the monument was for and what victory it commiserated.  Thais know nothing about their own history (folklore is not history) so how can one expect them to know anything about Hitler and Nazis. 

A troll post has been removed, please stay on topic which is about:

Frenchman reports sale of Nazi inspired goods to Pattaya Tourist Police

9 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

such things are on sale in london at militaria dealers so no big deal now .and theyre genuine from german dealers

That may be but what's happening here, being sold openly on the streets, has nothing to do with authentic historical artifacts. It's just clearly cheaply made Hitlerian Nazi glorification schlock.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:16 AM, BuaBS said:

I see no problem selling these things here. This is Thailand not europe.

Doubt the Thai have laws against it like nanny state France.

i like the way the thais handle this stuff they dont give a shit...if anyone stepping on a bhat note here in los with the kings face on it this person will be in deep trouble......sorry to all the falangs that think their laws ...way to think ...or believe structurs carry any importance to the thais...

On 6/13/2018 at 2:22 PM, billd766 said:

No it doesn't.

only troubles with these french first they want to steal land from the thais and now they trouble pattaya police with their nazi phobia...

It would be interesting to know the ages of the posters who are adding their two pence worth to this subject. I suspect those born after 1955 and never suffered under or because of the Nazi regime have different views to those that did. 

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

It would be interesting to know the ages of the posters who are adding their two pence worth to this subject. I suspect those born after 1955 and never suffered under or because of the Nazi regime have different views to those that did. 

I was born in 1944.

freedom, people. if it did not sell, the seller would not sell. This guy is just clic baiting his pod cast for Hitler brand. same as the seller both making money on Hitler brand 3,777 views on utube not bad for a bad cast.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:23 PM, billd766 said:

I was born in 1944.

Like me, You were born when our families target was build n repair, not just find things to be offended by. Today's" It Aint Fair " generation thrive on it. I find that more offensive than some Nazi junk that represents a total fail, from another who thought it aint fair.

A couple of off topic post/videos have been removed. Topic is not about Japanese army in Nanking or Hitler in Switzerland please stop making irrelevant posts with the intention of hijacking the topic. 

2 hours ago, dragula said:

freedom, people. if it did not sell, the seller would not sell. This guy is just clic baiting his pod cast for Hitler brand. same as the seller both making money on Hitler brand 3,777 views on utube not bad for a bad cast.

You could make the same claim for paedophilia images if you want to go down that road. Just because something sells is not its own justification within a bogus 'freedom' wrapper.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

You could make the same claim for paedophilia images if you want to go down that road. Just because something sells is not its own justification within a bogus 'freedom' wrapper.

Your example is illegal in LOS, selling Nazi memorabilia is not. If people want to stop it they need to get a law passed, not waste the tourist police time demanding they stop something that is legal to sell.

I can think of a thousand things more important to get upset about than what is legally on sale in LOS.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:24 AM, Rarebear said:

I've never met a Thai who was embarrassed by the Victory monument.  I should add I've never met a Thai who knew what the monument was for and what victory it commiserated.  Thais know nothing about their own history (folklore is not history) so how can one expect them to know anything about Hitler and Nazis. 

Very little is taught in schools about WW2 in the UK and in London many school chidren don't even know when WW1 nor WW2 started or ended let alone what it was all about.

Anything that Britain could be possibly be credited with is gradually getting air brushed from history. Mind you they know all about Britain's role in the slave trade although nothing about how William Wilberforce instructed the Royal Navy to outlaw it.

Archived