"Big Joke" - he's no joke! Top cop is the real deal for putting public confidence back in the Thai police

webfact

"Big Joke" - he's no joke! Top cop is the real deal for putting public confidence back in the Thai police

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The man known as "Big Joke" in the Thai police has given an extensive interview to Manager about his crime busting work, relationship with the public and specific issues that he and his team are working on.

His wide ranging comments dealt with matters such as online crime, technology, foreigners committing offences, street racers, press conferences, betting and , of course, tourism.

He also explained his own relationship with the force and how a new spirit of cooperation both within Thailand and other forces around the world and other agencies are helping to garner public confidence and see major crime drop.

He also explained how a member of the Tourist Police could achieve this far ranging effect.

10_180610_0025-1024x684.jpg

Picture: Thai Tourist Police

Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal is the deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau but he has been seen everywhere over the last year both in Thailand and abroad. He has busted guides, call center gangs, romance scammers, street racers - the lot.

He has been photograped at press conference nationwide as well as in places like Dubai and China.

Called "Big Joke" in the Thai media he is affectionately known as "Joke Waan Jiap" - Joke that is sweeter than sweet. (Joke is a breakfast food of rice gruel not known for being sweet).

But there is nothing funny about this high profile cop. And criminals arrested by him know that behind the "sweet" smile is a steely resolve.

Manager said that he enjoys very high connections and is someone who can pop in and out of the house of people like Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan. Everyone knows Surachet due to his high profile and now he is known as a "Person of Great Prestige" (Phuu Maak Baaramee).

10_180610_0049-1024x684.jpg

Surachet started his interview saying that technology based crime that is conducted through social media especially Facebook represents a big change from the past. Previously ponzi and pyramid schemes were all the rage - but these have declined behind crimes like romance scams and call center crime.

Crackdowns on call centers have seen the business all but wiped out but it is an ongoing process.

9-_180609_0004-1024x992.jpg

There are at least three victims a week of romance scammers, he said. He blamed people of color from Uganda, Nigeria and Cameroon.

He said that such nationals come in on tourist visas for 7 days and never leave. He said there were 100,000 over stayers as little as two years ago. This number is now down to 40,000 after his efforts.

They are masquerading in religious fields, as teachers or footballers. They are involved in drugs, human trafficking and money laundering.

Surachet praised head of the Royal Thai Police Chakthip Chaijinda for creating a better organisational structure enabling people like him to do their work in a spirit of improved cooperation.

Agreements between different sections of the force as well as vastly improved cooperation with banks, foreign police forces and other agencies mean police can perform better.

He singled out a much better relationship with the National Telecommunications and Broadcasting Commission (NTBC) as helping greatly in the work against cyber criminals and people using the internet and social media.

Referencing the recent arrest of a Cambodian national he said it was right and proper that people spreading fake news about the Prime Minister - in this case comments about telling the public to use water instead of gas if they were worried about high prices - should be arrested.

As far as people being arrested for clicking "like" on such stories - six people were - he said that they would not end up in court. He said it should be seen as just a warning to people to be careful what they share as news such as this is defamatory and damaging.

He described his work as apolitical. He said he wants a safer society and avowed that wherever people need him and his team he will be there. He used the term in English: "One World - One Team" in describing both his work and that of the RTP in general.

7-_180607_0075-1024x684.jpg

He said that the proliferation and ease of obtaining unregistered SIM cards had presented law enforcement with big problems in Thailand. Unlike countries where SIMS are restricted in number some agents were able to use one name to register 10,000 chips in Thailand. The tightening up of this and Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) matters with the cooperation of the five main mobile service providers has made a big difference in what he can achieve.

He was asked about illegal betting in Thailand that remains widespread but subject to continual crackdowns especially at World Cup time. The competition begins this week and always sees a spike in illegal betting and police work.

In regards to betting he referenced human trafficking. In that crime he was going after not just the pimps and procurers but the end users - people who paid for sex with the under aged or illegally trafficked.

It was the same with betting - it was not just the big guys who run betting that were at risk of arrest now - the actual people betting could be arrested in their own homes as they access the internet.

The days when it was all about the illegal Tote at the racecourses in Bangkok are over, he said. Even in terms of horse race betting it has nothing to do with the track any more - it is all online.

But he predicted that within 5 years the problem of illegal horse race betting in Thailand would die out. He said that the young had no interest in it - they wanted to bet on other things.

Then he turned his attention to street racers - motorcyclists who meet regularly to race on public roads and annoy the public.

He said that local forces do what they can but they need the help of people like him to work with technology to root out the ringleaders who use social media to arrange the races. He said that 70 ring leaders had been arrested recently and in Bangkok at least this meant that the gangs had been forced to go elsewhere.

They were now causing annoyance in Ayuthaya, Phutthamonthon, Pathum Thani and further afield in Pattaya.

But he vowed to keep going after them and crush them - and asked for the help from the public in reporting their whereabouts.

The Maj Gen is often seen at police press conferences and he touched on this aspect of his work.

He said it was important to reassure the public that the police were working hard for them and that they could have confidence in the RTP.

"I can work anywhere," he said. "We say press conferences are just 15% of what we do. We do it to assure the public. But that is all it is - we need to work behind the scenes so that the public see a real difference and it is not just show".

"Everything should be for the benefit of the public not me or my team", said the Maj Gen.

He spoke of his work on rooting out illegal guides, illegal tours and what is known as zero tours that have damaged the country and tourism so much.

Talking about the Chinese in particular he said: "We want them to enjoy our great culture like the Grand Palace - and not be taken to some rip-off jewelers by tour organizers".

The massive increase in tourism has meant that criminals have come too - it was inevitable that crime would increase along with tourism as opportunists used tourism to hide and carry out illegal activities in Thailand.

He spoke of Burmese and Vietnamese pickpockets who prey on tourists at Pratunam area shopping centers like Platinum and Panthip or at the Grand Palace.

"They fly in for the weekend," he said."When they have ten or 15 iPhones they fly back and sell them in their home bases. We find out who they are and then they change their passports and come back again.

"This is why we need to invest in biometric technology to stop this kind of thing".

Many people - especially foreigners - wonder how a deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police can be the highest profile cop in the land, at least in terms of public recognition and handling of so many widespread cases.

Surachet said that he enjoys the co-operation of people high up and the whole of the force.

"I don't mind what I am doing but we insist on cooperation and we are getting it from all quarters. The trust of the public is what is important.

7-_180607_0034-1024x684.jpg

"If we do good things public confidence will increase. We need to be mindful to get this confidence," he said in comments that will ring true to a public jaded by police corruption and scandals.

"We will be forgiven for our mistakes if we do as well as we can and have the public interest at heart".

He reiterated that he was able to do what he does because of widespread agreement among different arms of the police and in political circles.

Finally he was asked about his "Joke" name. He said he has been called this for ages and of course he didn't mind the moniker.

"I'm easy going," he said. "My friends call me that and it's OK.

"My nickname doesn't matter - what does matter is that we must be resolute and detailed in our work for the good of the public".

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-11

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about independent oversight for the police? No, didn't think so.

What about an independent police complaints body? No, I didn't think so.

Got a very, very long way to go before the Thai police approach anything resembling a professional police force deserving of the public's trust.

People please!!!!When the police is not doing their job you are bitching and making jokes.This guy is getting results and the posters so far are bitching and making jokes,what is wrong with you?

Yes the media is following him,so what?

I wish him good luck and keep up the good work.

(boy i think i am in trouble now)

5 minutes ago, jvs said:

People please!!!!When the police is not doing their job you are bitching and making jokes.This guy is getting results and the posters so far are bitching and making jokes,what is wrong with you?

Yes the media is following him,so what?

I wish him good luck and keep up the good work.

(boy i think i am in trouble now)

Well mate you are seeing what they want you to see.

Big joke is arresting no one, it is all done before he gets there.

He is being made out to be super cop... Which he isnt.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i have been told tourist police have no arrest powers.

I just hope that the piss will not go his head and he too will be marred in some scandal involving money, women or something silly like that, cops like him don't come around often and Thailand needs someone like him to do the dirty jobs of cleaning up the mounting mess around here....

56 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but i have been told tourist police have no arrest powers.

I'm on your side there Colin.

Not sure about tourist police and powers of arrest - surely they are regular police?

Perhaps it's the tourist police 'volunteers' who have no power of arrest? I'm willing to be corrected on that one however.

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes you are wrong.Tourist Police officers are armed and are fully qualified RTP.Your information is very outdated.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I'm on your side there Colin.

Not sure about tourist police and powers of arrest - surely they are regular police?

Perhaps it's the tourist police 'volunteers' who have no power of arrest? I'm willing to be corrected on that one however.

Also the (normal)Police volunteers have no power of arrest but they do a lot of jobs ,like directing traffic and such.

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

Yes you are wrong.Tourist Police officers are armed and are fully qualified RTP.Your information is very outdated.

So we are both wrong tourist police are not armed.

Just look at the photo in the OP not 1 of them is armed.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

pop in and out of the house of people like Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan

Great , start with his arrest, well they do say " if  u want to know the  time ask a Policeman" and Prawit maybe cant actually  tell the time with all those watches

All I see is a lot of populist, selective and at time racist arrests, nothing of any substance.

If you really want to make a name for yourself go and nab some of the big boys you know who they are and what they do.

Oh sorry, there all in the same gang as you.

What a bunch of cynical b****s you are, OK I have only been here a few years but isn’t he at least trying to make the RTP a bit better? . Good luck to the man, let’s see what happens.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

So we are both wrong tourist police are not armed.

Just look at the photo in the OP not 1 of them is armed.

Good observation,not all of them are armed all of the time,just like regular police.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

He is in line for an "inactive post" for putting the rest of them to shame. Also I am assuming he is not bent like all the others.

If he wasnt bent he would be directing traffic on a busy crossroad.

Best I've been able to come up with so far.

Tourist Police - uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on the normal police in Bangkok. Recently recruiting foreign nationals living in Thailand -    from Wiki 

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

All I see is a lot of populist, selective and at time racist arrests, nothing of any substance.

If you really want to make a name for yourself go and nab some of the big boys you know who they are and what they do.

Oh sorry, there all in the same gang as you.

How do you think a relatively low ranking officer can tackle the big boys? As staged as his arrests are, they do get a lot of attention. If this helps to change the culture within the RTP and peoples perception of the RTP that has to be encouraged. He is the only positive role model that gets a lot of attention. Thailand needs many more big jokes to turn things around and not just in the police.

Being racist in this case is justifiable if certain races are committing a higher proportion of the crimes. London is seeing a huge rise in knife crime because it is racist to stop and search those that are more likely to be carrying knives.

As for the big boys, they will never be dealt with until a more educated population votes in a government that wants to take that on. Even here in the UK there is a lot of corruption, it is just better covered up. So don't expect any change soon.

8 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Tourist Police - uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on the normal police in Bangkok. Recently recruiting foreign nationals living in Thailand -    from Wiki 

That is interesting. I stand corrected on the fact they apparently can't arrest you.

I looked at the wiki page and noticed the next paragraph after the one you quoted - assuming it's correct:

"According to Reuters correspondent, Andrew Marshall, "The country has a special force of Tourist Police, set up specifically so that foreigners have as little contact as possible with the ordinary police—the effect on the crucial tourism industry would be chilling."

According to one source, there are 1,700 enlisted tourist police on the force."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Police#Tourist_police

2 minutes ago, chang1 said:

How do you think a relatively low ranking officer can tackle the big boys? As staged as his arrests are, they do get a lot of attention. If this helps to change the culture within the RTP and peoples perception of the RTP that has to be encouraged. He is the only positive role model that gets a lot of attention. Thailand needs many more big jokes to turn things around and not just in the police.

Being racist in this case is justifiable if certain races are committing a higher proportion of the crimes. London is seeing a huge rise in knife crime because it is racist to stop and search those that are more likely to be carrying knives.

As for the big boys, they will never be dealt with until a more educated population votes in a government that wants to take that on. Even here in the UK there is a lot of corruption, it is just better covered up. So don't expect any change soon.

While I agree with most of your post, of course near impossible for him to get at the big boys, while he is promoting himself with help from the media as one man crime fighter.

This is where the story breaks down, where is the obvious and necessary shaming of the rest of the RTP in their continued apathy toward crime in Thailand and in doing their job in general.

Can we assume, Thai society just accepts them as what they are, a crime gang, with out conscience or empathy.

15 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The Thai police page on Wikipedia has many inaccuracies. Maj Gen Surachet's interview is interesting not for the crimes that are being solved but for the improved cooperation within the force and with other agencies. Those who think that Surachet is some kind of small fry are mistaken. His work indicates a willingness to effect change from within. Of course, this is not something that can be achieved by one man or in one year but I would suggest that his efforts are laudable and well-intentioned. No one would deny that much needs to be done to help the police gain some modicum of public trust. 

I was the translator of this piece that appeared in Manager. Neither Manager nor myself are acting as PR for the Thai police. This is merely reporting of an interview by a Thai news service and a Thaivisa translation of most of the major points for English speakers. Hopefully, I did it justice.

Rooster. 

8 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

While I agree with most of your post, of course near impossible for him to get at the big boys, while he is promoting himself with help from the media as one man crime fighter.

This is where the story breaks down, where is the obvious and necessary shaming of the rest of the RTP in their continued apathy toward crime in Thailand and in doing their job in general.

Can we assume, Thai society just accepts them as what they are, a crime gang, with out conscience or empathy.

He is, in a small way, changing the culture of the RTP. By having the media show his team in a good light he is shaming the rest. If Thais see that there are some good cops then there will be more criticism of the bad ones. While he is around there is hope but if he treads on the wrong persons toes and is moved to an inactive post then it will work the other way. 

Archived