Driving Licence lapsed.

JAG

As I am a bear of very little brain, I have foolishly allowed my 2 year driving licences, motorcycle and car, to lapse. They were it appears due for renewal at the back end of December. On the several occasions I have passed through a police checkpoint since then nobody has said anything, but when I used it as ID in the bank the other day they noticed. 

Does anyone know the score on renewing in such a case? What is the Chiang Rai DLT office likely to do?

Thank you.

You should be ok upto a year out of date just do the raction and sight tests...then get issued a 5 year (visa permitting)
After a year you have to do the whole kaboodle again,unless you have a home licence to convert...in that case you'll get another provisional 2 year.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:19 PM, johng said:

You should be ok upto a year out of date

Yep, up to one year with additional effort.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, JAG said:

What is the Chiang Rai DLT office likely to do? 

Hopefully stick to the rules.

Don't forget the medical certificate for 2yr to 5yr and the proof of residence as usual.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yep, up to one year with additional effort.

Hopefully stick to the rules.

Don't forget the medical certificate for 2yr to 5yr and the proof of residence as usual.

Check with  the DLT  if medical certificate is required. I did not need one in Phayao on Tuesday.  

24 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Check with  the DLT  if medical certificate is required. I did not need one in Phayao on Tuesday.  

From 2yr (temporary) to 5yr it is mandatory (from the rules and two times own experience).

From 5yr to 5yr not needed (from the rules and as experienced in March).

What extension did you do?

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

From 2yr (temporary) to 5yr it is mandatory (from the rules and two times own experience).

From 5yr to 5yr not needed (from the rules and as experienced in March).

What extension did you do?

Mine was 5 years to 5 years. That's why I told OP to check with DLT

@JAG

The thing I like about Thailand is that they sync the date of the expiry of your drivers license with your birthday. So it should be easier to remember. Though I still have to check too as both have to be done in different years.  You will as others stated probably get 2 5 year licenses... so then you will be set for a long time. 

Archived