Graft-accused former school director takes another five days off after transfer

webfact

Graft-accused former school director takes another five days off after transfer

By Suwannee Bundisak 
The Nation

38be61ecbb2460982ab10b6e98779e38.jpeg

Somchao Sithichen, accused of lunch-budget graft in his former role as director of Ban Tha Mai School in Surat Thani’s Tha Chana district, has taken another five days off from his new workplace at the Surat Thani Primary Education Service Area Office 2 in Phun Phin district.

Office deputy director Jakkarin Apisamai said that Somchao, reported this morning to his new office job, submitted a request for another five days off as is his right, and then returned home immediately.

A video recently circulated on social media showing kindergarten pupils at Ban Tha Mai School eating only fermented rice noodles with fish sauce, a meal that does not meet required nutritional standards.

Somchao was then transferred out of the area on June 1 and took time off. He could not be reached for comments.

An initial fact-finding panel concluded that Somchao had seriously violated the civil service disciplinary code and recommended that the provincial education office dismiss him from service – either with or without pension.

The panel initially found evidence of five areas of wrongdoing by Somchao: the insufficiently nutritious lunch meals for students, alleged graft linked to concrete road pavement within the school compound; selling soda pop to pupils at school, selling the school’s oil palms and allegedly pocketing the money, and alleged corruption linked to lamp poles within the school compound.

In a related development, Ban Tha Mai villagers said during a 100-strong meeting on Sunday that they were pleased to hear the provincial governor had apologised over the Surat Thani Dhamrongtham Centre’s recent statement about the Somchao case, which had also attached the list of names of villagers who filed complaints against Somchao.

The name list caused villagers to fear for their safety and some criticised the move as being inconsiderate. The governor apologized for the error and promised to launch a probe into the officials involved and to provide police protection to the plaintiffs, the villagers were told.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30347470

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-11

" either with or without pension." never mind dismissal ,what

about some jail time,corruption involving the lives of children,

should be taken very seriously,in this case it looks like it is not.

regards worgeordie

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

" either with or without pension." never mind dismissal ,what

about some jail time,corruption involving the lives of children,

should be taken very seriously,in this case it looks like it is not.

regards worgeordie

There should be jail time or at least some payment of the money he made off the backs of the students. I mean as long as you can only get fired what use is it. If I steal from 711 im in trouble.. why not the same if you steal from a school or the government.

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

There should be jail time or at least some payment of the money he made off the backs of the students. I mean as long as you can only get fired what use is it. If I steal from 711 im in trouble.. why not the same if you steal from a school or the government.

The old Thai tradition of accepting sin nam jai trumps the modern anti graft laws.

16 hours ago, robblok said:

And confiscation of his assets, with the proceeds from the sale of the assets returned to the school. It's about time the authorities got serious in dealing with corrupt officials

16 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

What a piece of filth this turd is robbing the poor kids dinner to line his pockets. 

And there is no difference to other cases...... Undeclared watches, grabbing aids for old people, kick backs, participation in brothels, I ask. 

It belongs to Thai understanding of life 

4 hours ago, Redline said:

So, he gets a holiday, but keeps a job?  Maybe I read it wrong?

4 hours ago, Redline said:

So, he gets a holiday, but keeps a job?  Maybe I read it wrong?

More like gets a holiday but keeps a regular paycheck.   Scum.

Archived