Satellite TV

Bryacar

Can anyone help me with this please.

I have recently moved from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai and I rent a house in San Sai.  The house has a satellite dish installed on the roof and the Thai owner informs me that I can get my TV connected using the dish and his (old) decoder.  He says that the decoder and the dish are paid for and that there would be no monthly subscription.  I have tried to explain this to the ladies in the shop at True, but they seem not to understand.  My Thai partner has also tried.  I called True customer services today and spoke to a lady who passed me to another who said they would call me back but no-one did.

• Can I get connected for Satellite TV?
  • Is it a one off payment for multi channels?
  • Will I need a new decoder?
  • Will True or some other organisation provide the package?
  • What do I need to do to get it set up?

Thank you.

I would by pass TRUE ,your attempt to get some information and being ignored is nothing new."True Customer Service" is an oxy moron.

If you go the Audio ,Television etc, etc forum on Thai Visa you will see that better alternatives and programming are available.

Really depends on what programs you want to watch.

Android boxes can be purchased online from Lazada at very good prices.All on their web site

True is expensive and as folks say there can be problems on service when you need.

Set top boxes are much cheaper but even if you have a good fast internet connection there can and will be times when it plays up.

Six of one or half a dozen of the other.

john

Hello all!

We will be moving to Chiang Mai from the states in November. After reading the above, I guess True is not the way to go after all. I am thinking a package deal with satellite service, cellular for two phones and two iPads with data and cell plan. Any suggestions as to who can provide what I will want once there?

In doing some research, I thought True offered the best package deal for what I want with desired services along with a DVR, but maybe not, huh? I’m wondering if what I want is really available. 

Thanks for any input. 

Robert

If you have a satellite dish installed and I assume a cable that runs from  the dish to a room in your house you can buy a decoder box for a few (~30) free channels that are mostly Thai... Here is an example of the box you need...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gmm-z-hd-lite-i10415135-s13057474.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.2.3c203af643vypD&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.99110.0&clickTrackInfo=21552e6f-41f9-4a6a-a1ec-b3af3c4e3c9a__10415135__5483__1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gmm-z-full-hd-51ch-top-thaicom-cku-ota-i104870757-s105464337.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.30.6347b3a7V4eJKw&search=1

if you go to Amorn Electronics they sell them as well as some Big C... Also look for the street side shops that have satellite dishes outside they also sell boxes... but really prefer to upsell you to a bootleg service for an annual fee...  Just make sure the box you buy has a connector in back for the coaxial cable and refers to Ku-Band (this is the satellite channel available here)

Also If your dish is old and has not been used it may have got knocked out of alignment and may need to be repointed  to the satellite

I own my own Set Top Box for True TV.

I bought it back in 2003 when I moved into my condo from a company not in biseness  any longer.

When True TV 'Box" was upgraded some years back say 8, I had to buy a new box. Niyom Panich was place I used.

I understand that Electronic Plaza also stocks the new box.

You will need an up to date 'Set Top Box' and a card not expensive, a few thousand baht.

john

Archived