Non O v Retirement visa

I have been on several non immigrant O multi visas for the past 15 years, based on marriage to a Thai. I have recently turned 50 and have the option of applying for a retirement visa. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to changing to a retirement visa? Logistically or otherwise? Thanks for any feedback.

Have you been getting multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate or a extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage?

You will have difficulty getting a multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate based upon retirement.

I am in Thai with extension of retirement.

In most place within Thai, You can extend your Non-O "Thai wife" if you can satisfy requirements.
If you already have Non-O visa, I personally feel,

Disadvantage of retirement
  Can not apply work permit
  Higher financial requirement

Advantage of retirement
  Very much easier paper work for extension
  Only 2 days for extension in my place
    (Only 1 day in some place ?)
    (2 or 3 month for Thai wife extension, mostly)
  Can still live in Thai after divorce

Edited by XD1 at Phuket

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you been getting multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate or a extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage?

You will have difficulty getting a multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate based upon retirement.

I have been getting multi non O's from Savanakhet....probably 4 or 5 in total. Have never extended at immigration.

12 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

I have been getting multi non O's from Savanakhet....probably 4 or 5 in total. Have never extended at immigration.

Best to keep getting them unless you want to apply for a one extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement.

Based upon marriage you need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

For retirement it is 800k baht in the bank for 60 days for the first extension and 3 months after that or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

• Like 1

I also am about to change from non o's based on marriage obtained in Savanakhet to a retirement extension. The older i am getting has made the three monthly visa runs or trips out of Thailand a bit of a chore, i also reasoned that it would be quite sensible to have 800k readily available here just in case even though it's only earning me about 1.2% in interest

• Like 2

My words are not enough.

> In most place within Thai, You can extend your Non-O "Thai wife"

> if you can satisfy requirements.

This mean

In most place within Thai, you can extend your Non-O "Thai Wife" 

as "Retirement" if you can satisfy requirements.

No more Visa run after extension would be a advantage.

• Like 1