Retired paraplegic Brit: "I am like a prisoner in my own home"

webfact

Retired paraplegic Brit: "I am like a prisoner in my own home"

w2.jpg

File photo

A retired British expat who suffered a horrific road accident in Thailand has spoken to Thaivisa about his retirement village in the north east of Thailand where he feels like a prisoner in his own home.

Colin, 70, has lived in Thailand for the last seven years. At first things were fine in his village near Ban Phai south of Khon Kaen. 

The first three years were idyllic then the scourge of drugs transformed everything. And lack of police action or anything decisive from local officials has left the paraplegic in a desperate situation.

Now to make matters much worse there was a murder of a disabled Thai man just four doors away from his own house. Thai TV Channel 7 were on the scene as a local man who had been asked by the victim's mother to look after her son was paraded for a reenactment of the crime.

The victim was beaten with a bottle and a lump of concrete over a petty argument about some Mama noodles. 

Colin said that the murderer is part of a drug family that is terrorising his once quiet village.

"This disabled man had a mobility scooter as he had polio as a child. He would wave to me and say "hello" in English most days," said Colin. "Now he is dead".

This happened just a few days ago and in a latest worrying twist a dog and a pig has been poisoned at his sister-in-law's house just 100 meters away where Colin's wife - a school director aged 49 - was born. 

"I fear for my own safety," Colin told Thaivisa on Tuesday morning. "If someone came at me I would find it almost impossible to defend myself.

"This used to be a lovely quiet village," he said. "I am the only farang in a ten kilometer radius to my knowledge.

Colin came more than 50 times to Thailand over a 21 year period but eventually decided to settle in the village seven years ago. He said that all was fine for the first three years then the scourge of drugs took over.

He said that one family is responsible and that police and the phu yai ban turn a blind eye. A new phu yai ban came in a few years ago and has been ineffective.

"The only time we have even seen the police in recent years was at the murder," he said. 

"They are a total waste of space", he said condemning the cops.

He said that he has to spend 16 hours a day in bed and due to the nature of his injuries he can only spend a small amount of time in a wheelchair. 

He suffered multiple injuries in a motorcycle accident including a snapped spinal cord, broken bones and shattered vertebrae. He was involved in a collision with a pick-up driven by a local government employee.

He never received anything in compensation and told Thaivisa that several CCTV cameras were mysteriously "not working".

Only a good helmet meant his life was saved. He is now cared for by his loving wife but she is very worried about Colin's welfare. She came home from school at lunchtime to check up on him following the murder such was her sense of concern. 

"I am here on my own while she is at work and it is no exaggeration to say I feel like a prisoner in my own home", he said. 

The home has a wall and a CCTV security system but this is scant comfort.

"Don't get me wrong. I am a cranky old bugger but I love Thailand but this village has gone right downhill in the last few years."

His wife has suggested a move back to the UK - Colin is from Preston in the north west of England - but he has ruled this out due to his age and his injuries. 

He would rather stay in the village despite the desperate situation he finds himself in. 

He said that the murderer is a nephew of the family where the drugs are dealt. Lao Khao (white spirit) and drugs parties are often held just meters from his property. 

he spoke of the murderer who is now in custody.

"He is a nasty little bugger," said Colin who manages to maintain his good humor despite his dire situation. 

Colin is a frequent poster on Thaivisa under the name "colinneil". He is one of the most popular posters on the forum. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-12

*Post updated with additional text

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about this Colin. I wish you the best for the future and hope that things improve. Your humour on the forum, despite your situation, is much appreciated by many, and I hope to see you continuing for many years to come.

When I read his thread about the crime and his fate I already found it hard to find words or give advice.

And still it's just depressing to read this.

So I can consider me lucky to have survived 7 years in our  village without major accident and no capital crime around.

Drugs seem to be everywhere but I don't get in touch or notice much of it.

Colins' ability to rise above his situation and give us funny and witty comments daily shows us what an awesome person he is.

I hope the publicity generated will force the local cops to do something to improve matters. Nobody needs drug dealers and thugs at the bottom of their driveway.

5 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

''Colin came more than 50 times to Thailand over a 21 year period''

Mmmm. Now I wonder why that was? All the lovely places to visit in the world (many closer to the UK) but was a serial visitor to Thailand. That said, all the best Col.

For your information mate, yes i came here a lot, after visiting 24 other countries found Thailand better than most of the others, and yes i came here for the ladies... You happy now.:cheesy:

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

For your information mate, yes i came here a lot, after visiting 24 other countries found Thailand better than most of the others, and yes i came here for the ladies... You happy now.:cheesy:

Who didn't?

Sorry to hear your village has a drug problem, I avoid rural areas and have never had a problem in Thailand.

Actually, I've never had a problem anywhere, guess I'm just lucky.

28 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Sorry to hear about this Colin. I wish you the best for the future and hope that things improve. Your humour on the forum, despite your situation, is much appreciated by many, and I hope to see you continuing for many years to come.

He's not that funny... ?

Just kidding, his contributions always stir up some form of emotion ?

Stay safe up there Colin...

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who didn't?

Sorry to hear your village has a drug problem, I avoid rural areas and have never had a problem in Thailand.

Actually, I've never had a problem anywhere, guess I'm just lucky.

It's not just rural communities that are suffering from the increase in drug related crime.

Unfortunately, it's a major problem world wide, for the often poorer  communities !!

Nobody needs drug dealers and thugs at the bottom of their driveway.

I sympathise very much with Colin, because AFAIK he is effectively 'stuck' in that village (family etc), and relocating would probably be quite difficult.

I was forced out of Thailand after living there for 12 years or so. The reason? Drug-dealers invading my property and death threats (2 of my local staff had already been shot dead and their killers never brought to justice).

This wasn't in some Issan back-water, but within spitting distance of Phuket International Airport.

I despair of the direction in which Thailand is heading, with increasing use of drugs and extreme violence to settle the most minor of disputes.

My plan was to return to live in Thailand after completing my job in Myanmar. But the daily news from Thailand is really making me rethink my long-term plans...

4 minutes ago, Darcula said:

I'm very disappointed Colin. This was your chance to pose pointing at something, and you wasted it.  :biggrin:

Well i was asked about a photo, but declined, as i am thinking about my wifes safety.

27 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Colin, have you ever had any problems with the locals?  Do they pretty much leave you alone?  Hopefully these druggies and gangs are about beating each other senseless, but no one else.

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Colin, have you ever had any problems with the locals?  Do they pretty much leave you alone?  Hopefully these druggies and gangs are about beating each other senseless, but no one else.

In answer to your question, neither my wife or myself have had any problems.

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I sympathise very much with Colin, because AFAIK he is effectively 'stuck' in that village (family etc), and relocating would probably be quite difficult.

I was forced out of Thailand after living there for 12 years or so. The reason? Drug-dealers invading my property and death threats (2 of my local staff had already been shot dead and their killers never brought to justice).

This wasn't in some Issan back-water, but within spitting distance of Phuket International Airport.

I despair of the direction in which Thailand is heading, with increasing use of drugs and extreme violence to settle the most minor of disputes.

My plan was to return to live in Thailand after completing my job in Myanmar. But the daily news from Thailand is really making me rethink my long-term plans...

I think it all depends where you are, my gated village on the outskirts of BKK does not have a drug problem (or maybe it has but the drug users don't get out to cause trouble). I think that if you retire in a small village it could be a problem especially if you have nobody connected to the village with you.

I like it here never any problems (ok got an idiot neighbor but back home I had one too). For me live has only improved they will even rebuild the swimming pool.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Colin said that the murderer is part of a drug family that is terrorising his once quiet village.

Other than the murder? Which happens everywhere as a result of drugs (I am assuming an isolated murder, i.e. not happening on a weekly basis). And the poisoning, which happens in most villages if dogs are loud or pigs are smelly (why there is laws relating to the keeping of these animals). What other things have the family been doing to terrorise? Just getting a bit of perspective, as it is all well and good to discuss it, but pointless if no possible solutions are discussed.

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Not sure about happy. I will give you some credit for admitting you were a sex tourist for many years. Good to luck ya.

46 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

''Colin came more than 50 times to Thailand over a 21 year period''

Mmmm. Now I wonder why that was? All the lovely places to visit in the world (many closer to the UK) but was a serial visitor to Thailand. That said, all the best Col.

I wonder why you  even mention it  in the way you do ,  Pat in thailand?

You almost make it sound like there's something sinister in the visits Colin made to thailand.

He liked Thailand and he came here frequently.    So  what?

That being said, I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties faced by Colin.   I realize it may  be nearly impossible to change the things causing him to feel like a prisoner  and I know he would face even more challenges finding and moving to another place than  the average expat.

Good luck to you Colin.    I wish you the best,  Mate.

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

That's not what he said !!! He said "I came here for the ladies"....

I got that carlos and while trying to no go OT, I have to say i don't care at all about  his reasons for coming  to Thailand.   It's his business and his  alone as long as he's law abiding which I suspect he is.

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I suspect he's one of the drug king pins in his village and that's why he's worried ?

Bull.    I have it on good sources that person is Col. Mustard.

Don't  you go and try to muddle up the situation.

Dunno how you do it Colin.   Thailand's streets and footpaths are a challenging obstacle course for able-bodied individuals, let alone for someone with mobility issues such as yours.

Those Mama noodles are 'to die for'.

Keep it up boys, your wisecracks are certainly giving me a laugh, helping to my mind of other things.

One point i will say, after my first wife died, i went into a long period of depression, a god friend of mine was coming to Thailand, and badgered me into coming with him.

Had 4 days in Bangkok, not impressed, then went to soi 8 in Pattaya, enough said.?

48 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I was very happy to nominate Colin for Poster of the Year a few months ago, which he nearly won. It is comments such as the following that make Colin so enjoyable to read. Keep it up Colin.

yeah. what a hoot.

16 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

That's not what he said !!! He said "I came here for the ladies"....

given he was already 50 when he came here first time,

"I came here for the ladies"="sex tourist",

cause, there aint none interested in a 50 yo fart without financial compensation

Archived