Anthony Bourdain

Jingthing

Much more than his suicide.

There was thread here about Bourdain which was more about the topic of suicide in general than Bourdain himself.

I think he was a very significant figure, in many ways, and not only about food, and I wonder if there are others here feeling his loss deeply. 

So thus this thread.

I'll start it with this link --

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/8/17442286/anthony-bourdain-in-memoriam

31 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

No remorse, guy had millions and people kissing his arse.

Saw him in the streets in NYC and some tourists asked him

where to get an affordable meal and he told them to eat from

a hot dog stand - typical arse from suburbs of NJ. 

dunno...the street hot dogs in NYC are quite nice with plenty of mustard and onions...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

dunno...the street hot dogs in NYC are quite nice with plenty of mustard and onions...

No it's the crap sold to tourists.

If you see where the carts are stored, often in the old horse stables that used to dot the Westside around 10th and 11th Avenues you'd never go near that crap.

nono.jpg

2 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

No remorse, guy had millions and people kissing his arse.

Saw him in the streets in NYC and some tourists asked him

where to get an affordable meal and he told them to eat from

a hot dog stand - typical arse from suburbs of NJ. 

Fly 5000 miles to eat crappy hotdogs. 

2 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

No it's the crap sold to tourists.

If you see where the carts are stored, often in the old horse stables that used to dot the Westside around 10th and 11th Avenues you'd never go near that crap.

nono.jpg

the dogs are OK, usually all beef but I much prefer the pizza by the slice meself...or anything that a deli has got of which there are loads...NYC is foodland heaven...

I also prefer a taxi when gettin' about town, motorbikes are a menace...

'yes, madam...your years in central america as an ornithologist is fascinating...maybe let's get some wine and go back to your place and discuss it...' 'you appear to be full of bad intentions, mr tutsi but fortunately those are the bad intentions that I like...'

and the crowd roars...

Poetry interpretation time:

BARKING 
The moon comes up. 
The moon goes down. 
This is to inform you that I didn’t die young. 
Age swept past me but I caught up. 
Spring has begun here and each day 
brings new birds up from Mexico. 
Yesterday I got a call from the outside 
world but I said no in thunder. 
I was a dog on a short chain 
and now there’s no chain.

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/06/201389/anthony-bourdain-death-legacy-food-travel-philosophy

Did anyone see his recent show on Uruguay?

Particularly the part where he talked about how he could relate to the general soulful melancholy of the people there contrasting to the stereotype of superficially happy happy people in countries like Norway (which he detested).

Not suggesting everyone in Norway is that way, so don't go there, if you saw the segment you'd understand the gist of it.

I don't think that means that people that feel that way are necessarily suicidal. I think most more intellectually oriented people would relate to that as well. 

I really like that Bourdain had such incredibly strong feelings about so many controversial issues and wasn't afraid to voice them. Of course, for me, I usually agreed with his POV so people that felt offended may feel differently. 

People say they were jealous of his life once he started his "glamorous" travel phase. Understandable but the way he would anything offered to him, no matter how disgusting, isn't something I could or would ever stomach (or most people I think).

Watch his episode in Isaan. I've never seen anyone eat food as gross and disgusting as that. 

Bourdain's Latino connection.

It was real.

“We Know Phonies From a Thousand Miles Away. He Wasn’t One.”

Food writer Gustavo Arellano on why Anthony Bourdain meant so much to marginalized communities.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/06/latino-food-writer-gustavo-arellano-on-why-anthony-bourdain-meant-so-much-to-marginalized-communities.html

He seemed to appear less superficial than many of the ego driven chefs. I particularly dislike Gordon Ramsay, for his horrible attitude to his staff.

Jamie Oliver, seems ok.

I thought 'that's a Shame' when I heard he'd died.

Forgetfulness
By Billy Collins

The name of the author is the first to go
followed obediently by the title, the plot,
the heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel
which suddenly becomes one you have never read, never even heard of,

as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
to a little fishing village where there are no phones.

Long ago you kissed the names of the nine muses goodbye
and watched the quadratic equation pack its bag,
and even now as you memorize the order of the planets,

something else is slipping away, a state flower perhaps,
the address of an uncle, the capital of Paraguay.

Whatever it is you are struggling to remember,
it is not poised on the tip of your tongue
or even lurking in some obscure corner of your spleen.

It has floated away down a dark mythological river
whose name begins with an L as far as you can recall

well on your own way to oblivion where you will join those
who have even forgotten how to swim and how to ride a bicycle.

No wonder you rise in the middle of the night
to look up the date of a famous battle in a book on war.
No wonder the moon in the window seems to have drifted   
out of a love poem that you used to know by heart.

I really loved watching Anthony Bourdain's shows on TV. He was a very rare individual who touched millions of folks in a way that is very rare. He always came across as someone who truly liked people and was very comfortable sitting at a dinner table,or whatever, conversing with folks from all over the world. To me he was very genuine and honest to a fault. He appealed to a broad spectrum of folks with vast political ideologies but was always true to his beliefs and truly had a fondness for those less fortunate for he knew in his heart these individuals were truly happy and at peace with themselves. It saddened me to hear about his death but a man of his intellect and innate sensitivity is always susceptible to life's vicious and callous manifestations which can take a terrible toll on these very rare individuals such as Anthony Bourdain. I, for one, feel very privileged to have known him through the lens of the camera and he truly  opened my eyes to all that is out there in the world for you to experience if you so desire. I know he is in a better place now, he will be sorely missed by millions, but the world is a better place for having witnessed the undeniable genius and creativity and love he shared with so many on his journey.

More from Anthony Bourdain. This is from 2016. OK, there is some bitter irony in it, but still resonates.

One Last Piece of Life Advice from Anthony Bourdain

Look, as dim a view as I have of the future right now, and it's pretty goddamn grim...

And it's not just exclusively an American problem, we're seeing the rise of authoritarianism and strongman leaders everywhere...

Don't be a hashtag activist.

Change is going to take some <deleted> time.

Dig in for the long haul.

Spend some time with the enemy.

Walk around in some other people’s shoes.

Try to get your priorities reasonable.

A little love.

Some good pasta.

Nice spicy noodles.

Survival.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/59qazd/anthony-bourdain-life-advice

On 6/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, Justfine said:

Fly 5000 miles to eat crappy hotdogs. 

As he said, there are some very good hotdogs in New York - bagels and pizza too.

Just read his first book. Not sure I would have liked him in person, but he was a talented writer.

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

As he said, there are some very good hotdogs in New York - bagels and pizza too.

Just read his first book. Not sure I would have liked him in person, but he was a talented writer.

That's junk food. 

Celebrities of different kinds die most every day.

But there is something about the death of Anthony Bourdain that feels different to a lot of the public that never met him.

Maybe the reason I started this thread.

This item talks about that difference for particular people.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leitihsu/2018/06/19/why-it-matters-that-anthony-bourdain-never-mansplained-and-how-he-united-the-misfits/amp/

"How much he resonated with people is clear in eerie ways."

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, he is dead, there is no denying, but people hungry for Bourdain will always have his videos --

https://quartzy.qz.com/1304138/the-five-best-episodes-of-anthony-bourdains-parts-unkown/

THE FIVE “PARTS UNKNOWN” EPISODES YOU HAVE TO WATCH

These episodes evoke a deep sense of place, explored with Bourdain’s particular style of ferocious curiosity and desultory cool. They’ll all leave you hungry for more of everything, but especially Bourdain himself.

I am watching one with him in Burma right now. It is the only country in South East Asia that I have not explored thoroughly, so enjoying it. I have been to the border town across from Mai Sai numerous times, but not the real Burma, I can tell.

Processing the loss of Anthony Bourdain.

Not an easy thing to do for so many people that he connected to either personally or through his works.

I was asked to share some thoughts on my time with Tony in Madagascar and Bhutan. I've been staring at a blank page for days. His death is incomprehensible. I don't know how to process him being gone.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/darren-aronofsky-anthony-bourdain-traveling/index.html

On 6/21/2018 at 7:49 AM, canthai55 said:

What is this fascination with celebrities ?

Up on a pedestal, crying about his passing.

For a TV show ? Give me a break !

Makes no sense to me either. Celebrity worship is strange, especially for an average chef.

Bourdain never promoted himself as a great chef. His lasting fame is based much more on writing, traveling, eating, and being a bad boy philosopher.

Naturally not everyone loved him. Especially Henry Kissinger.

If he had just stayed as a chef he certainly would not have become famous.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived