90% of hotels on Koh Phi Phi found incapable of registration

webfact

By The Thaiger

215456-2-1.jpg

Out of 104 hotels, only nine are capable of being properly registered. That’s the bottomline after a month of checking by Krabi officials.

Muang Krabi District Chief Satta Tongkam says, “From May 1 until now, we have checked 104 hotels in Muang Krabi district, principally accommodation on Koh Phi Phi. There are 78 cases on Koh Phi Phi that the Krabi Provincial Court has ruled on. Only nine hotels have been found operating legally with proper licenses.”

‘From our in depth investigation on Koh Phi Phi we have found that most of hotel operators will be unable to submit for accommodation licenses because they don’t have land possession documents. Some hotel rooms and building sizes are not up to standard when we check against the standards demanded by the Hotel Act.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/90-of-hotels-on-koh-phi-phi-found-incapable-of-registration

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-13

To  Krabi District Chief Satta Tongkam did this come as a BIG surprise for you ? or you do not have control over your job? Thought yes you have no control in your area of responsibility.

And how many years have all those "hotels" been operating there?  Ever been inspected by the local authorities at the times they opened for business? Ever been checked for proper licenses in the past?

The answers to those questions, which I'm sure never will be asked or answered, would be revealing about the performance (non-performance) of local government there. But then again, all of that is par for the course in Thailand.

And a year from now, I'd wager, all or most of those supposedly unlicensed venues will still be operating exactly the same as they are today.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

For Thai circumstances 90% is a good quotation, if one compares it with 100% of non junta politicians who are not allowed to participate in politics. 

Yes, but let's view that statement with TAT spin applied and viewed through their famous rose tinted apparel

"A massive 10% of hotels on Koh Phi Phi capable of registration thought to be behind  a record breaking influx of tourists"

I am amazed that any checking actually took place. The tourist dollar on Koh Phi Phi (part of a National Park, apparently) is protected at high levels and with guns if necessary. The owners and operators of these hotels are not sweating in the slightest.

In a perfect world, Phi Phi would never have been allowed to become the stinking <deleted> <deleted > it has become because of greed.

I'd love it if all those hotels were closed down and demolished, then the place might get some of what made it so wonderful ( back in the early 90s ) before the big money men got involved.

Unfortunately, that's not what happens in LOS, and I have no doubt that they will still be operating in years to come.

The tsunami washed away many of the horrid buildings that had blighted it, and damaged most that weren't, but they went and rebuilt it worse than before. Ugh.

Archived