Nearly 7,000 killed in Thai road accidents since the start of the year

webfact

Nearly 7,000 killed in Thai road accidents since the start of the year

Thai-accident.jpg

More than 1,000 people are dying on the Thai roads every month.

Daily News reported that stats from yesterday when 29 were killed brought the grand total since January 1st to 6,831 dead.

However, the news media cautions that this figure is set to rise when all results are in from some precincts that wait until Tuesday to report the weekend death toll.

And these figures only represent the death toll from victims who die at the scene of accidents.

They do not count the people who die in hospital or as a result of their injuries so the real figure is much higher.

Thaivisa notes that on average this reporting anomoly suggests that the actual death toll is around 70% more than the figures suggest.

Daily News keeps a daily check on the carnage in an ongoing campaign. They commented on the latest bus accident on Kata Hill in Phuket when a Chinese tour bus collided with a pick up and ended off the road.

Fortunately no tourists were seriously injured.

They also showed a short video of a Tuk-Tuk side swiping a car and a person being thrown to the tarmac.

It was not reported what happened to the victim in that accident.

So far an average of 38 people have been killed per day in June.

If the figure of 70% more deaths away from the scene of accidents is taken as a benchmark for the true likelihood of the number of fatalities then it would mean that around 25,000 - 26,000 people in total will die this year on the Thai roads.

Many people accept that the Thai roads are the most dangerous on earth.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-13

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

until the police start to go out on the roads and enforce the law it will never change, they just let people do as they please on the roads, they need patrol cars and bikes with officers that actually pull them over and issue tickets which are enforced, will never happen here

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

More than 1,000 people are dying on the Thai roads every month.

Looks like their number two position is safe for now. Might even get a shot at the title during the FIFA world cup drinking binge.

And yet the cops are instructed to go after and haul in people who (rightly) criticise the government's lies, ineptitude and abuses of power.

However as probably the majority break traffic laws to varying degrees when they use the roads it is hardly a surprise when the numbers of dead and wounded is so ghastly

49 minutes ago, seajae said:

until the police start to go out on the roads and enforce the law it will never change, they just let people do as they please on the roads, they need patrol cars and bikes with officers that actually pull them over and issue tickets which are enforced, will never happen here

They never will get out on the roads and especially not the expressway. It's to bloody dangerous. The emergency stopping lane is a joke so there is no safe place to get out of the car for them to book a speeding driver.

The police a smart enough to a least save their own lives. 

Hence cameras have got to be the best solution along with greater enforcement. 

50 minutes ago, Darcula said:

Looks like their number two position is safe for now. Might even get a shot at the title during the FIFA world cup drinking binge.

Thailand has been number one for a while now, passed Libya, previously number  one .

If 30 or 40 people were being knifed or shot to death every day, there would be massive outcry and action to try to stop it. But the roads? It is as if the authorities and the public simply don't care in the slightest. These numbers are rectifiable, but not with the current approach of zero traffic law enforcement.

41 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Ah,  good job. 

Well,   they can't be crap at everything. :jap:

Sure they can, they've proved that time and time again.

Some educators have claimed that to be truly expert at anything requires 10,000 hours of practice. Have Thais had 10,000 hours of being useless? Sure they have. So why the disbelief? It's already an unconscious skill, they don't have to think about it any more, being crap at everything is their automatic action.

Am I Thai-bashing? no. Am I racist? no. What I am doing is being unafraid to tell it like you already know it is.

I came across another fatal accident in Thonglor at lunchtime today, it was about 50 meters away from where I saw an old lady get taken out by a lorry who ran a red light at speed some months ago, what shook me was the fact that traffic drove round her body on the road whilst the motorcycle taxi guys were helping the rescue guys.

I didn't see today's accident, I don't know if it was a motorcyclist or pedestrian, or whatever, in fact I'm assuming it was an accident.

When I approached the incident the rescue guys were carrying a body into an ambulance whilst another was scraping blood and matter off the road, whilst the traffic was trying go find their way round them, that's a job I couldn't do.

As soon as the body was removed and the road cleaned the traffic carried on as normal. Not sure that I would have expected anything else but it seemed so low key and matter of fact and indicative of local people's attitude to road deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Many people accept that the Thai roads are the most dangerous on earth.

and it will get worse, convert all those motorbikes into cars, which is gradually what is happening; continue to drive overlarge , overpowered vehicles....

11 hours ago, kaorop said:

Someone I know said he went thru 9 "check points" , buriram to pattaya...

I went through 12 going from Chiang Mai to Surin, all were manned. Guess how many stopped me and checked my licence/did a breath test (hint: it rhymes with hero).

The problem is that NOBODY wants to do ANYTHING to improve the situation. The police don't want to do anything besides get paid to setup a few traffic cones. The government don't want to pass stricter laws. The vehicle centres don't want to fail unroadworthy vehicles. Motorcyclists don't want to display a gram of self preservation and wear helmets. The Thai people don't want to stop driving like absolute morons.

All we can do is stay off the roads as much as possible. 

wikipedia states official figures 15k/year, estimated to be over 30k, that's around 80 daily.

thai statistics don't include those, who died within a month. All international statistics do. 

And those who die in hospitals are as many, as those on the roads.

Those figure are only for 5 months, not 6, as supposed in the article.

"They do not count the people who die in hospital or as a result of their injuries so the real figure is much higher."

Nono, people who die in Hospital can't possibly be dead because of the car crash they were involved in a month earlier! For example, if you are very old and crash your car and die in hospital later, of course, that is death by old age. And if somebody is drunk driving and crashes, he dies of acute alcohol intoxication, of course! 

And for everyone who dies, multiply by about 10, and you get the number of annual permanently disabled people resulting from traffic accidents, who cannot contribute to society and becomes burdens that cripple the economy.

The pandemic of "this won't happen to me" is all over Thailand.  When we were young, we were made to watch Mechanized Death.  It was gruesome.  It is on YouTube.   It gave you the stark reality of what car crashes are all about.  The la dee da attitude confronting this issue will only insure more will die.  Where is Big Joke when you need him ?  Why is he chasing people who merely say not nice things about Thailand where he could be saving lives ?  Why is law enforcement looking for 1000 pretties suspected promoting gambling when thousands die on the roads every year ?  Priorities priorities priorities.

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I do not mean to be rude, but apparently does anybody really seem to care out there, high above ?

yes, more motorbikes and cars sold, to replace those written off. High above is a part of a food chain

I sat at a big junction here in Chiang Rai waiting for the lights to go green. Across the road was a giant video screen. It was showing an advert for a new pick up truck - it showed it leaping earthquake fissures, racing trains, and driving through what appeared to be a mortar barrage.

Quite a number of people seem determined to emulate these antics on the roads, in what, despite all the commercials and hype is essentially a rear wheel drive truck - ideal for trundling along with a variety of loads in the back on rural roads, but not a sports car! They end up upside down in a ditch - often dead. I drive a 30 km route daily, in an old pick up,  on what in the UK would be called  a "B" class road. I must see the aftermath of such accidents at least twice a month. Let's not even mention overtaking on blind bends...

But before curbing/educating such lunatic driving, there are three measures which would cut the toll by, what - 30% perhaps? Enforcing the existing laws on helmets, seatbelts and using mobile phones.

We had the police in school yesterday, talking to M4,5,&6 about motorcycles, racing, helmets, modified exhausts and lights etc. All wasted as there is no enforcement.

18 minutes ago, peperobi said:

1,242 per month average, compared to the 2,166 from 2017 is a positive sign, I hope that they can reduce it again.

The figures are easily reduced by a little fiddling.  Thai accountants are the best in the world at this - just look at how long temples have been siphoning cash.

Archived