Nearly 7,000 killed in Thai road accidents since the start of the year

webfact

15 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

We are moving to Chiang Mai soon and this is a MAJOR concern for us. 

It is a major concern for all reasonable people. I live here and have the following advice:

• Get a new car with a high level of safety.
  • Good tyres.
  • A dashcam.
  • Premium car insurance.
  • Give way to everyone who might run into you. Note that most other drivers do not know or follow the rules. Many do not have licences. There is usually a motorcycle on the wrong side of the road, sometimes a car.
  • If someone else is in the car, get them to help you look for trouble.
  • Do not ride a bike or motorbike on main roads.
  • Treat driving as a survival activity.
  • Do a defensive driving course in your home country.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

It is absolutely hilarious to read all these comments complaining and you all still choose to live here....<deleted>!!!!  Remember it is your choice to be here....deal with it.

And these posts make me <deleted>. Such a typical 'mai bpen rai' attitude from yourself.

Countries develop, progress, improve, prosper etc from listening and learning from others with knowledge and guidance. Thailand, when it comes to road safety, wants no interference from anyone, yet there is probably someone dying right now as I type on a road somewhere here. 

If 30 or 40 people were being knifed or shot to death every day, there would be massive outcry and action to try to stop it. But the roads? It is as if the authorities and the public simply don't care in the slightest. These numbers are rectifiable, but not with the current approach of zero traffic law enforcement.
But that's the same in every country, regardless of the numbers. Road deaths somehow just don't rate.

Sent from my E5823 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, kaorop said:

Someone I know said he went thru 9 "check points" , buriram to pattaya...

idiots prevail

innocent people die cops pocket bigtime..

The PM banned those road checks several months ago, but as usual in Thailand no-one takes any notice of anything.

8 hours ago, BobbyL said:

And these posts make me <deleted>. Such a typical 'mai bpen rai' attitude from yourself.

Countries develop, progress, improve, prosper etc from listening and learning from others with knowledge and guidance. Thailand, when it comes to road safety, wants no interference from anyone, yet there is probably someone dying right now as I type on a road somewhere here. 

Of course there is, and you can pretty much guarantee that it is someone on a scooter dying as a result of being hit by a 4 wheeled vehicle....

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The PM banned those road checks several months ago, but as usual in Thailand no-one takes any notice of anything.

To look on the bright side, they've given up on the constant 'road checks' (only for those on 'bikes....)  at Chalong Circle (Phuket) - since the roadworks made it even more dangerous ☺️.

16 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

We are moving to Chiang Mai soon and this is a MAJOR concern for us. 

So then don't move here. Chiang Mai is just as bad as the rest of the country. Too crowded already and more people coming along with the droves and droves of Chinese is not making it any better.

1 hour ago, mserror said:

It is a major concern for all reasonable people. I live here and have the following advice:

• Get a new car with a high level of safety.
  • Good tyres.
  • A dashcam.
  • Premium car insurance.
  • Give way to everyone who might run into you. Note that most other drivers do not know or follow the rules. Many do not have licences. There is usually a motorcycle on the wrong side of the road, sometimes a car.
  • If someone else is in the car, get them to help you look for trouble.
  • Do not ride a bike or motorbike on main roads.
  • Treat driving as a survival activity.
  • Do a defensive driving course in your home country.

"Note that most other drivers do not know or follow the rules. Many do not have licences."

THis especially applies to foreign drivers.

'bikes and 4 wheeled vehicles don't 'mix well' - hence the large number of fatalities.

And I'd bet money that the vast majority of deaths/serious injuries are 'bike riders - not those protected in 4 wheeled vehicles, regardless of how badly they drive.

I agree that more than a few 'bike riders also drive extremely badly - but that can only result in their injury death.  Unlike those in 4 wheeled vehicles that drive badly,  but aren't hurt - they just kill/seriously injure those on 'bikes.....

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

"Note that most other drivers do not know or follow the rules. Many do not have licences."

THis especially applies to foreign drivers.

Whilst I agree about tourists.... (I give them a VERY wide berth) - having a license is irrelevant.

We all learn the 'rules' when applying for a license - and then to a certain extent ignore them.

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes , but the Jap's just walked all over the place.

a few years back,  that's been forgotten !!!!!!!!!!!! :shock1:

and the ONLY reason they were not colonised is because England and France hated each other and used Thailand as a buffer country.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If 30 or 40 people were being knifed or shot to death every day, there would be massive outcry and action to try to stop it. But the roads? It is as if the authorities and the public simply don't care in the slightest. These numbers are rectifiable, but not with the current approach of zero traffic law enforcement.

Zero enforcement = zero law. The proof lies with  the dead

Just now, Aupee said:

How many of those that die are on 'bikes - and how many in 4 wheeled vehicles?

Perhaps the answer is to ban 4 wheeled vehicles!

Obviously this will never happen, but it would be nice if posters accepted that a large reason for the fatalities is the mix of a large number of 'bikes, and an increasing number of 4 wheeled vehicles.

thailand pepople aint ready for drive on the road. wait 20 more years, so the can get use to cars, trucks and busses..

Its unbeleaveble when you look at how they are trying to drive with any vehicle...

Don't anderstand the traffic , only look 5 meter away from wat ever the driving.. no rules.  

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

How many of those that die are on 'bikes - and how many in 4 wheeled vehicles?

Perhaps the answer is to ban 4 wheeled vehicles!

Obviously this will never happen, but it would be nice if posters accepted that a large reason for the fatalities is the mix of a large number of 'bikes, and an increasing number of 4 wheeled vehicles.

I accept your point, and it's a good one. But if you took more people out of cars and onto bikes (by banning 4-wheeled vehicles) I'm pretty sure the death toll would rise, as fewer people would be protected, as I can't see how the number of accidents would reduce as a result. It's all about statistics really; in truck v car accidents, statistically more car drivers die, so it is with cars v bikes. That doesn't mean we should ban trucks.

I reckon if you took the ratio of bikes to cars there is here and had the same ratio in the UK there would still be a lower death toll due to driver education, which is almost non-existent here. 

I think a massive problem in Thailand is window tint film. I've lost count of how many times I cannot see anything through the car windows in front in daylight. How does this work at night or dawn/dusk. It must be like permanently driving with sunglasses on. But, again, it's not enforced. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power.

In my mind, that is the number one problem! All else flows on from that.

Despite what Government preaches/promises the country, it is still a feudal society, sadly. 

If it wasn't for the emergence of dash cams 90% of what really goes on on Thai roads wouldn't even be witnessed by the masses...

Certainly no Thai media, officials or police for that matter are shouting from the rooftops to get something done about it!

It's just the Thai way of life & that's it!!

1 hour ago, Aupee said:

Disagree. Majority of Thai drive like idiots and things where they think are logical are totally irrational for safe driving. It is purely lack of education and making them drive better like marching ducks.  

Also the all notorious mobile phone is too addictive for them to not touch while behind the wheel, so this has some % to play for the deaths as well.

26 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Disagree. Majority of Thai drive like idiots and things where they think are logical are totally irrational for safe driving. It is purely lack of education and making them drive better like marching ducks.  

Also the all notorious mobile phone is too addictive for them to not touch while behind the wheel, so this has some % to play for the deaths as well.

Maybe, might also be a stupid nation of people too

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Stringent deterrent is essential. That is where they have to start.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

a large reason for the fatalities is the mix of a large number of 'bikes, and an increasing number of 4 wheeled vehicles.

I think you would find that the vast majority of those killed on bikes are young and drunk and have been speeding. Nothing at all to do with the number of cars on the road.

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

And in other news today...... 

In other news, 1.25 million people on average will die on the roads worldwide,  , and another breaking news, most WON'T be in Thailand.

Many more will die in the USA.

About 40,000, and a large percentage of those will be Alcohol related.

Why can't those Thai's be more like us ? Seems that they are.

Archived