Nearly 7,000 killed in Thai road accidents since the start of the year

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you would find that the vast majority of those killed on bikes are young and drunk and have been speeding. Nothing at all to do with the number of cars on the road.

It's true, but when it's put like that, there is less chance of Thai Bashing, so it won't go down well here.

And all they do is talk about it.  About 15 years ago the Victoria Police in Australia hosted a group of 12 senior Thai police officers as part of an exchange program.  The Thai contingent spent 6 weeks with the traffic operations department and various other road safety organisations.   It appears they didn't take any ideas back.

3 minutes ago, Thechook said:

And all they do is talk about it.  About 15 years ago the Victoria Police in Australia hosted a group of 12 senior Thai police officers as part of an exchange program.  The Thai contingent spent 6 weeks with the traffic operations department and various other road safety organisations.   It appears they didn't take any ideas back.

That's why there are no deaths and no cases of drunken driving in Australia.

Oh hang on a minute..........that's not true...

1. Regretably until there is an actual practical on the road driving test. ( Some years ago a Government official said his        examiners refused to go out on the roads with learner drivers ) Things will not, cannot, get better.

2.Until the Police themselves are actually aware of what are driving offences & are prepared to enforce them ( And NOT

break the laws themselves ( Riding their motorbike with their child in front of them going to the childs school the

wrong way along a duel carriageway with neither of them wearing a helmet ) or riding their personal motorbike along

the footpath, also while in uniform.

3. And realise that, when on a holiday check-point sitting watching the T.V  and facing the way the traffic is going, you

cannot actual see traffic offences being commited by those travelling toward you.

I think just to remain a hub of stupid driving there has more to come and more to die. 

But I'm sure PM will do what he can that Thailand will reach 30.000 road deaths again. 

Maybe he makes it happen to get some more as a surplus? 

I reckon 10% more would be fine to qualify for next elections. 

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Stringent deterrent is essential. That is where they have to start.

Yes it is a part of the equation BUT first and foremost there needs to be the will to do something positive about the road trauma!

As 'spidermike007' has posted #58  "They do not care about the people one iota." Therein lays the basis of the problem.

What can anyone seriously expect? Recently figures were released that said fully one third of Thais believed that accidents are beyond their control. If that's your beginning position, drive away and let karma be karma.

9 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Of course there is, and you can pretty much guarantee that it is someone on a scooter dying as a result of being hit by a 4 wheeled vehicle....

As you can pretty much guarantee the scooter ran a red light

8 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

How many of those that die are on 'bikes - and how many in 4 wheeled vehicles?

Perhaps the answer is to ban 4 wheeled vehicles!

Obviously this will never happen, but it would be nice if posters accepted that a large reason for the fatalities is the mix of a large number of 'bikes, and an increasing number of 4 wheeled vehicles.

The answer is for all road users to start to respect each other and of course the law

Therein lies the problem, just bleating about it wont even begin to have any effect

14 hours ago, connda said:

Thai strategy for ending the road carnage from Buriram to Pattaya

----------------------------------------------------------------

Good bye Buriram
* Tax Stamp pay for this year -- check

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

* Wear seatbelt - check

* Wear helmet - check

<wave along>

Hello Pattaya

You got a seatbelt on your motorbike or do you where a helmet in your car?

On 6/13/2018 at 9:14 PM, thonglorjimmy said:

I came across another fatal accident in Thonglor at lunchtime today, it was about 50 meters away from where I saw an old lady get taken out by a lorry who ran a red light at speed some months ago, what shook me was the fact that traffic drove round her body on the road whilst the motorcycle taxi guys were helping the rescue guys.

I didn't see today's accident, I don't know if it was a motorcyclist or pedestrian, or whatever, in fact I'm assuming it was an accident.

When I approached the incident the rescue guys were carrying a body into an ambulance whilst another was scraping blood and matter off the road, whilst the traffic was trying go find their way round them, that's a job I couldn't do.

As soon as the body was removed and the road cleaned the traffic carried on as normal. Not sure that I would have expected anything else but it seemed so low key and matter of fact and indicative of local people's attitude to road deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They should get Elon Musk to come over and find an efficient way to automate the cleanup. (Using Tesla electrics, of course).

14 hours ago, Broken Record said:

In other news, 1.25 million people on average will die on the roads worldwide,  , and another breaking news, most WON'T be in Thailand.

Many more will die in the USA.

About 40,000, and a large percentage of those will be Alcohol related.

Why can't those Thai's be more like us ? Seems that they are.

dear oh dear, the ole "but it happens in xxxx countries" ...you do know "we" know that..

.such a laughable non reply that is trotted out by those bereft of any cohesive relevant point on a regular basis...

do you just like to read your own posts?

26 minutes ago, kaorop said:

dear oh dear, the ole "but it happens in xxxx countries" ...you do know "we" know that..

.such a laughable non reply that is trotted out by those bereft of any cohesive relevant point on a regular basis...

do you just like to read your own posts?

I like the   ( if you don't like it, go home brigade ) 

I had one of them, yesterday,   there the best, drop kicks  !!!! :coffee1:

11 hours ago, Cereal said:

What can anyone seriously expect? Recently figures were released that said fully one third of Thais believed that accidents are beyond their control. If that's your beginning position, drive away and let karma be karma.

That well may be the case, it really hinges on how the question to come up with that belief was presented together with what was asked. 

But I take your point of the mai bpen rai attitude of the majority of Thai drivers together with many of the ex-pat drivers (unfortunately) 

On 6/14/2018 at 1:25 PM, dick dasterdly said:

'bikes and 4 wheeled vehicles don't 'mix well' - hence the large number of fatalities.

And I'd bet money that the vast majority of deaths/serious injuries are 'bike riders - not those protected in 4 wheeled vehicles, regardless of how badly they drive.

I agree that more than a few 'bike riders also drive extremely badly - but that can only result in their injury death.  Unlike those in 4 wheeled vehicles that drive badly,  but aren't hurt - they just kill/seriously injure those on 'bikes.....

The single major factor in motorcycle deaths is the failure to wear a helmet or one that is up to standard.

Regardless of why you come off, the absence of head protection immediately ups the ante....

On 6/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

It is absolutely hilarious to read all these comments complaining and you all still choose to live here....<deleted>!!!!  Remember it is your choice to be here....deal with it.

Yes..there's always someone who mistakenly thinks that old cliche is an argument..

Obviously a newbie expat.

If you chose to live in a country, for whatever reason, that is no excuse for shelving logic and reason.

If you see something wrong anywhere in the world, and you have a modicum of intelligence you can give an opinion.

How could anyone be so daft as to think just because you are foreign you have no right to an opinion?

Most people who express opinions on Thaivisa do so because they live here and really care about the country they live in and certainly they don't consider standing by at watching people die a justifiable option....You learn by discussion not bea sitying back an accepting anything and everything as "just is".

On 6/14/2018 at 8:20 PM, Broken Record said:

That's why there are no deaths and no cases of drunken driving in Australia.

Oh hang on a minute..........that's not true...

Yes there are but not on the horrendous avoidable scale in Thailand.  Why is that?

6 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Because in Thailand 75 - 80% are motorcycle related ?

Firstly Australia has a relatively poor road safety record themselves ..until recently nothing to crow about and horrendous accidents make the national news on a weekly if not daily basis. In fact it is a characteristic of the Aussie media to give horrendous crashes a lot of column.

As for crashes with alcohol involved - and be careful to find out what that means - it is fair to say from stats available that Thailand, along with most countries including Oz have about a 30% rate of alcohol involvement.

Conversely them is means that 2/3s of all deaths are caused whilst the driver/passengers are sober.

Unfortunately in Thailand properly compiled stats to international standards are unavailable and it is virtually  impossible to determine with any great accuracy what the number collisions fatal or otherwise is. However by taking the more detailed figures from the holiday periods which do offer more detailed stats, it is reasonable to suggest that on  a per capita basis, there isn't a big difference between Thailand and most other countries. So one has to conclude it is what happened immediately after the accident and over the next few hours that determines Thailand's appalling death rates.

7 hours ago, balo said:

The average IQ is lower in Thailand than in the west , maybe that got something to do with it. 

I would observe that to make a comment like that one would first have to believe in the concept of IQ and then have a very low one.

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

I would observe that to make a comment like that one would first have to believe in the concept of IQ and then have a very low one.

https://humanvarieties.org/2014/07/16/hvgiq-thailand/#more-3636

Thailand has a population of over 64 million people, which is comparable to the United Kingdom or France. It is the world’s 21st most populous country.

IQ and the Wealth of Nations (2002) and IQ and Global Inequality (2006) both assign Thailand an IQ of 91 based on one clinical trial from 1989. Lynn and Vanhanen (2012, p. 417) add two more studies that push their estimate down to 88. 

On Sat Jun 16 2018 at 9:46 PM, kwilco said:

Firstly Australia has a relatively poor road safety record themselves ..until recently nothing to crow about and horrendous accidents make the national news on a weekly if not daily basis. In fact it is a characteristic of the Aussie media to give horrendous crashes a lot of column.

As for crashes with alcohol involved - and be careful to find out what that means - it is fair to say from stats available that Thailand, along with most countries including Oz have about a 30% rate of alcohol involvement.

Conversely them is means that 2/3s of all deaths are caused whilst the driver/passengers are sober.

Unfortunately in Thailand properly compiled stats to international standards are unavailable and it is virtually  impossible to determine with any great accuracy what the number collisions fatal or otherwise is. However by taking the more detailed figures from the holiday periods which do offer more detailed stats, it is reasonable to suggest that on  a per capita basis, there isn't a big difference between Thailand and most other countries. So one has to conclude it is what happened immediately after the accident and over the next few hours that determines Thailand's appalling death rates.

australia relatitively poor record?

in relation to who?

a daily bad crash makes the news, really?

thailand could run a 24hr bad crash news service and then some..

not a big difference with other countries, well if you are talking about the worst 5, but far far from the best 5.

and btw as incompetent as im sure many are, rescue services and hospitals dont want dead bodies, they cant pay.

about the only part you got right is the last part.

Archived