Nearly 7,000 killed in Thai road accidents since the start of the year

webfact

41 minutes ago, kaorop said:

australia relatitively poor record?

in relation to who?

a daily bad crash makes the news, really?

thailand could run a 24hr bad crash news service and then some..

not a big difference with other countries, well if you are talking about the worst 5, but far far from the best 5.

and btw as incompetent as im sure many are, rescue services and hospitals dont want dead bodies, they cant pay.

about the only part you got right is the last part.

You need to be better informed on road safety.

You also have very erroneous ideas about Thailand's emergency services.

I would suguest you get yourself better informed on that topic too.

You also seem to have little idea on how different countries media reports news and why

I think to have a productive conversation would require you to be better informed all round...it is no good making assumptions and then putting them forward as established premises.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2018 at 5:15 PM, seajae said:

until the police start to go out on the roads and enforce the law it will never change, they just let people do as they please on the roads, they need patrol cars and bikes with officers that actually pull them over and issue tickets which are enforced, will never happen here

So where is the Extra-special committee( 01/04/2018) that was to be set up to curb the road toll, with so many Extra special committees no wonder there is no police to do traffic duty anyway 

7 hours ago, The Teacher said:

So where is the Extra-special committee( 01/04/2018) that was to be set up to curb the road toll, with so many Extra special committees no wonder there is no police to do traffic duty anyway 

Come on now we all know that the effects of all the hard work done by this committee will take a while to filter down you must just be patient 

On 6/13/2018 at 8:59 PM, FaFaHead said:

We are moving to Chiang Mai soon and this is a MAJOR concern for us. 

It should worry you because it is a huge problem.  You'll see a situation every minute of drivers failing to yield, speeding, unsafe lane changes, texting while driving etc.  It is CRAZY.  I've been here a few years and I'm beginning to believe that Thai drivers are the most careless drivers that I have seen.  It amazes myself and other foreigners that live here.  Be careful on Thai roads!

5 minutes ago, Johnnyondaspot said:

It should worry you because it is a huge problem.  You'll see a situation every minute of drivers failing to yield, speeding, unsafe lane changes, texting while driving etc.  It is CRAZY.  I've been here a few years and I'm beginning to believe that Thai drivers are the most careless drivers that I have seen.  It amazes myself and other foreigners that live here.  Be careful on Thai roads!

Look on the bright side some of them wont be around tomorrow 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, kwilco said:

Yes..there's always someone who mistakenly thinks that old cliche is an argument..

Obviously a newbie expat.

If you chose to live in a country, for whatever reason, that is no excuse for shelving logic and reason.

If you see something wrong anywhere in the world, and you have a modicum of intelligence you can give an opinion.

How could anyone be so daft as to think just because you are foreign you have no right to an opinion?

Most people who express opinions on Thaivisa do so because they live here and really care about the country they live in and certainly they don't consider standing by at watching people die a justifiable option....You learn by discussion not bea sitying back an accepting anything and everything as "just is".

No truer words typed today.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, seajae said:

until the police start to go out on the roads and enforce the law it will never change, they just let people do as they please on the roads, they need patrol cars and bikes with officers that actually pull them over and issue tickets which are enforced, will never happen here 

Well Thai driving standards are, contrary to what those on bar stools claim improving over time. They are certainly better than 10 or 20 years ago.

There is greater enforcement of road rules than there used to be, but still very rare. Too much effort is put into putting up speed cameras (only on some major highways) that can only catch cars, trucks and buses (but not motorcycles, because the cameras are rear facing) but almost zero effort is put into enforcing other more serious driving infractions like following too closely, dangerous driving (such as weaving in and out of traffic), driving against the flow of traffic (extremely dangerous), drink driving (some effort is put into this, but it's far from enough) and many others.

6 minutes ago, jimster said:

Well Thai driving standards are, contrary to what those on bar stools claim improving over time. They are certainly better than 10 or 20 years ago.

There is greater enforcement of road rules than there used to be, but still very rare. Too much effort is put into putting up speed cameras (only on some major highways) that can only catch cars, trucks and buses (but not motorcycles, because the cameras are rear facing) but almost zero effort is put into enforcing other more serious driving infractions like following too closely, dangerous driving (such as weaving in and out of traffic), driving against the flow of traffic (extremely dangerous), drink driving (some effort is put into this, but it's far from enough) and many others.

Unfortunately the enormous police force in Thailand is completely untrained in matters of road safety. So for anything to change there would require a major constitutional reform in legal, judicial and executive spheres......and that aint gonna happen for while.

Fortunately the police are only a single part of a multifaceted problem.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, thonglorjimmy said:

I came across another fatal accident in Thonglor at lunchtime today, it was about 50 meters away from where I saw an old lady get taken out by a lorry who ran a red light at speed some months ago, what shook me was the fact that traffic drove round her body on the road whilst the motorcycle taxi guys were helping the rescue guys.

I didn't see today's accident, I don't know if it was a motorcyclist or pedestrian, or whatever, in fact I'm assuming it was an accident.

When I approached the incident the rescue guys were carrying a body into an ambulance whilst another was scraping blood and matter off the road, whilst the traffic was trying go find their way round them, that's a job I couldn't do.

As soon as the body was removed and the road cleaned the traffic carried on as normal. Not sure that I would have expected anything else but it seemed so low key and matter of fact and indicative of local people's attitude to road deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thonglor, 11.30 ish Wednesday? I guess what you saw was the aftermath of my other halfs 25 year old grandson (motorcyclist on his way to work) fatal hit and run by a pickup, emergency team turned up, tried CPR unsuccesfully. Sounds like he was wearing a crash helmet, but it came off (not fastened?). No trace of the pickup.

Andrew

11 hours ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

Thonglor, 11.30 ish Wednesday? I guess what you saw was the aftermath of my other halfs 25 year old grandson (motorcyclist on his way to work) fatal hit and run by a pickup, emergency team turned up, tried CPR unsuccesfully. Sounds like he was wearing a crash helmet, but it came off (not fastened?). No trace of the pickup.

Andrew

How dreadful, so sorry for your loss.

11 hours ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

Andrew

Very sorry for you're Loss, R.I.P. Young man.

And unsurprisingly his Facebook page was subsequently awash with pictures of the aftermath, including at least one video clip of the EMR guys doing CPR and another of him being transferred to the hospital!

Second motorcycle death in the family, other halfs sister lost her first husband shortly before we met.

Andrew

It is sad that those traumatised by personal involvement are urged to comment on issues that actually require an objective perspective... When it is quite obvious that they are the last people would would ask for an unbiased comment.

Data is not the plural of anecdote.

Archived