High End Mobile Recomendations

daocat555

I agree with Sookee about Aliexpress. Great for buying a $20 case but no way would i buy a 30,000 baht phone from them. Just too much risk if something goes wrong for only a small saving. Also waiting a year to get last year's flagships. Some good deals on the P20 Pro or the Mate 10 now. I couldn't bring myself to pay 40-50,000 baht just for a phone. My top of the range 65in 4k TV cost less than that.

• Like 1

Phones are constantly improving every aspect of the hardware and software experience   

Maybe you don't notice because......

You're either not very observant or you don't use your phone to  its full capabilities..... 

Simple tasks like sending an email  will be the same speed on a $100 junk phone as the $1500 phone but what did you expect to Happen ? [emoji3] 

Talk about blinded too much by your own smug self-righteousness. Maybe you don't notice because you're not very observant or too busy trying to make yourself sound clever (epic fail) by taking cheap personal shots at other posters. Damn, if only everyone could be as switched on as you, then nobody would need an opinion that conflicts with yours. So polite and courteous too. Reading and comprehension clearly not a strong point either.

Still, vacuous content light posts are hardly unheard of on TV. Just surprised I responded to it really, still gives me a chance to use the Ignore list again.

• Like 1

The Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 has been announced, and briefly, I don't like it at all.  To me a gimmick sliding body with fairly wide side bezels presents a screen which is 68.02 mm wide in a body 74.69 mm wide.  Compare that to the Huawei Mate 20 Pro with the same screen width but a 72.3 mm body width or even my Meizu 15 with the same screen width and a 72 mm body width.  The screen of the Mix 3 is tall at 147.34 mm but the body is tall at 157.89 mm.  So you get a 6.39 inch diagonal screen, the same as the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, in a larger body.

And the sliding mechanism must weigh a lot as the weight of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 is a whopping 218 grams for which you are getting a 3200 mAH battery!  That doesn't compare well to the 189 gram weight of the Mate 20 Pro which packs a 4200 mAh battery.  Or even to the Meizu 16th which gives you the same screen width in a 73.2 mm wide body and a 3010 mAh battery with a body weight of 152 grams.

To me the Mix 3 just barely beats out the Poco by a bit in a few categories, but lacks the 4000 mAh battery of the Poco, is heavier, doesn't appear to have the vapor cooling of the Poco, and is about twice as expensive as the Poco.  If I had to take one of them as a gift I would opt for the Poco.  The Poco doesn't make any claims of being "all screen" but it's body width of 75.3 mm is almost the same as the Mix 3, with the same size screen width, a bit shorter screen, and a bit shorter body.  It's the width of the screen that is most useful to me, not the height of the screen.  The Mix 3 can be charged wirelessly, which can explain a bit of the excess weight.

About the only advantage I see of the Mix 3 over the Poco is USA bands covered, which is fairly good especially for a Xiaomi phone, and it seems Xiaomi has hopes getting some penetration into the USA market with this phone.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SooKee said:

Talk about blinded too much by your own smug self-righteousness. Maybe you don't notice because you're not very observant or too busy trying to make yourself sound clever (epic fail) by taking cheap personal shots at other posters. Damn, if only everyone could be as switched on as you, then nobody would need an opinion that conflicts with yours. So polite and courteous too. Reading and comprehension clearly not a strong point either.

Still, vacuous content light posts are hardly unheard of on TV. Just surprised I responded to it really, still gives me a chance to use the Ignore list again.

Since there is no cure for pig ignorance.....i guess you're going to have to live with it

How you can say smartphones haven't improved in each generation just validates what i said.... 

Bye ????

Well I've come to a decision, probably, about my next phone (Who cares. Well, just sayin).

I considered the Pixel 3 and wasn't put off by the lack of local support, or even too much by the price.  What eliminates that phone for me (and I suggest for all Thai Visa phone savvy people) is the poor audio output.  I watched the Pixel 3 announcement live, and they sure talked a good line about the audio of the two front facing speakers.  But I joined several Pixel 3 user groups on Facebook, and person after person complained that the speakers distort, crackle for no reason, emit a hum for no reason, and just plain sound bad.  Too many people with no obvious axe to grind again Google report this flaw.

So I am enamoured by the Huawei Mate 20 Pro.  And I don't mind buying a $1,000 phone from AliExpress.  But I don't have $1,000.  Darn, guess that one is out for now.

The Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 just announced is a terrible phone for me who likes a thin and light phone with good audio, as it is thick, heavy, and without stereo speakers.  Cross that one off the list.

I have been waiting for a full gsmarena review of the Meizu 16th.  But I now think that there will never be a full review of that model by gsmarena.  So most likely when I get my November check I'll go for the Meizu 16th from AliExpress.  I can't use my USA plastic power to buy from AliExpress; the cash must be in my Thai bank and it is deducted when I place the order.  

It's $424.20 (13,964 baht) in the Global version, 6/64, and gloss white color.  Meizu claims the audio output has been improved over the Meizu 15 (my current phone) but even if it hasn't ala the Pixel 3, if it hasn't taken a step backward the Meizu 15 has a 77 dB maximum voice volume, and very clear.

I get my thin, light phone at a price I can pay, and I think a nice upgrade over my Meizu 15 without going bonkers for a Huawei Mate 20 Pro.  I don't see anything upcoming which is going to haunt me too much with buyers remorse.  My guess is that it is just a better phone for me than the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, even though it lacks quite a few bells and whistles that the Mate 20 Pro has.

The Meizu 16th is actually $388 at TMALL.  But i cannot seem to register for a TMALL account, and I am a fan of AliExpress so I am willing to pay a bit more from them.  The Meizu Official Store at Lazada, in general, is just terrible with respect to bringing Meizu phones to Thailand.  So I expect that if I want the 16th I will need to buy it from an International Seller.

So guys, troll me if you want for buying from AliExpress, for wanting the newer over the older, or criticize the model (please, am I missing something?), but hey, no Mothers, leave Mothers out of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the good news, the Huawei Mate 20 is now on pre-order at Lazada, 25,000 for the Mate 20 and 32,000 for the Pro, with a load of freebies worth 6,000 (that no one wants). I am tempted by the Mate 20, 25,000 is not toooo bad and it's the better model anyway with the headphone jack and without the notch and the stupid in screen fingerprint sensor. I could give my OP6 to the tgf, she'd be happy.

Edited by Henryford

Thank you Henryford; all I can say about the Lazada price pre-order on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro is "wow, fantastic price".  Yeah none of the throw ins are useful to me.  I want the wireless charger for Pete's sake, not a power bank in a phone with a 4200 mAh battery.  And for me about the only color I like maybe better in any phone than the Meizu white is the Huawei Mate 20 Emerald green.  And Lazada is listing it in either black or green.  And in keeping with my general rule the 6/128 is just right for me.  No need to spend extra for more memory than that.

Here is the Huawei Mate 20, the Mate 20 Pro, and the Meizu 16th as compared.

I have zero interest in the Mate 20 with its 77.2 mm body width.  I don't care if a phone has a notch or not but I like a narrow phone.  I am putting on hold my plan to buy a Meizu 16th in light of this great price for the Mate 20 Pro at Lazada.  No AliExpress anxiety and Lazada will take my USA credit card so I can go into credit card debt and get it.  I hope gsmarena gets its review up on the model soon.  It's pretty much a sure thing they they will give it a full review.  But they haven't done so yet.  And using the Poco as an example of how Lazada prices sometimes the very lowest price is available early, and then it drifts slightly higher.

So on the one hand I want to be prudent and wait for the gsmarena review, and on the other hand I want to scoop one up. Yikes. Thanks for the input.  The gf probable wouldn't mind a OP6, but to be frank, if I had to use either the OP6 or the Mate 20 I would surely opt for the OP6.

The OP6 has a smaller, lighter body and for me plenty of screen, battery power, and CPU power.

Eight hours ago when I last posted here the Huawei Mate 20 Pro was in stock for pre-order in Emerald green.  That is now out of stock with only the black color available.  I went and got a massage and pondered the matter, pretty much deciding that the Mate 20 Pro was too expensive for me to buy right now.  I can dream about it, or more apropo dream about the P 30 Pro in the spring as to me it seems the P series tends to top the Mate series; but that's a long way away.

Lazada will most likely get the Mate 20 Pro in all available colors fairly promptly, since it's LazMall selling it that's a good thing as LazMall frequently maintains stock once they decide to stock an item.

The Huawei Mate 20 Pro has been listed on Amazon, USA, in 6/128, black color only, for $1,705.99 (52,227 baht).

Good old Lazada, who now has the model back in stock for pre-order in Emerald green for 31,990 baht. 

A TVF News Team writer has also just started a Post saying that DTAC is offering the Mate 20 Pro on special for DTAC users.  Hey, I want to be a News Team writer for the mobile Topic; wonder how I apply?

6 minutes ago, daocat555 said:
The Huawei Mate 20 Pro has been listed on Amazon, USA, in 6/128, black color only, for $1,705.99 (52,227 baht).

Good old Lazada, who now has the model back in stock for pre-order in Emerald green for 31,990 baht. 

A TVF News Team writer has also just started a Post saying that DTAC is offering the Mate 20 Pro on special for DTAC users.  Hey, I want to be a News Team writer for the mobile Topic; wonder how I apply?

Looks like DTAC is giving a 26,000 baht discount.  http://www.dtac.co.th/huawei-mate20/

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Looks like DTAC is giving a 26,000 baht discount.  http://www.dtac.co.th/huawei-mate20/

If you take that package i think your on a contract @1499 a month for 24 months so you pay the 20k up front and 36k over the next two years

it might be safer to buy the phone outright for 31k  and get the data package separately 

The gsmarena review is up on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro.  It is out of my mind forever as a phone I might want to use, and I'll probable only refer to it in the future to pan it.  The maximum in call voice volume is 70.3 dB but not clear and not balanced.  To quote gsmarena:

Huawei hasn't upped its game when it comes to the speakers - it still uses the tiny and squeaky earpiece for a second speaker, and it still sounds rather cheap. Yes, it does the stereo effect, but the loudness of the speakers is mostly uneven, and you can tell. At some point, it might even become annoying.

They go on further to say:

The sound quality is about average though, far from the best in the industry. While playing some music, the audio was loud enough, but it's rather shallow and often squeaky.

For me, who is hard of hearing, I wouldn't use this phone over my current Meizu 15 if I received the Mate 20 Pro as a gift (like that's likely to happen).  My current Meizu 15 has a maximum in call voice volume of 77 dB and is very clear with a fair amount of the sound coming out the earpiece speaker which I am holding up to my ear.

Please refer to the gsmarena review for more information, but briefly, I was unimpressed with the measured performance on a number of tests, and there are a number of weaknesses of the phone.  As an example no autofocus on the selfie camera.  The camera results were far from impressive to me.

It seems that Huawei talked a good line about performance, audio, and camera, but the implementation of these things turned out to have some problems.  And the audio output is just disgraceful in such an expensive phone!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnePlus 6T out last night. A big disappointment for me. I loved the headphone jack and the rear fingerprint sensor, both now gone. I am doubtful about the under screen sensor, how fast is it? will it malfunction over time? Apart from that no real changes. I can't see the point of a new model unless it is better than the old one.

• Like 1

I actually think the OnePlus 6T is a nice upgrade over the OnePlus 6.  They have upped the battery from 3300 mAh to 3700 mAh, and reduced the body width from 75.4mm to 74.8mm while increasing the screen size from 6.28 inch to 6.41 inch and with all that only adding 8 grams to the body weight.

Myself I don't use face unlock or fingerprint unlock.  I just leave my phone always unlocked which makes things simple and easy

The third slider phone has been announced, the Lenovo Z5 Pro.  With a list price of $287.89 (9,487 baht) it is about half as expensive as the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 and about three times less expensive than the Oppo Find X.  So it is clearly the most affordable slider for people who like the slider model.

Here it is compared with the other two slider phones.

The Z5 Pro has the best screen-to-body ratio of the three and at 73mm wide it has thin side, top and bottom bezels, so it is fairly compact for its 6.39 inch Super AMOLED screen.  It's not light at 210 grams with only a 3350 mAh battery, but it isn't ridiculous like the Mix 3 which is 218 grams with a 3200 mAh battery.  And it uses the energy efficient Snapdragon 710 instead of the higher performing but more battery hungry 845 like the other two phones.

It doesn't offer wireless charging like the Mix 3, but for half the price I think you would be getting a much better phone; thinner, lighter, with a bigger battery and similar camera set up.

The gsmarena review is up for the Google Pixel 3 and it is favorable.  I was turned off of the Pixel 3 by users who complained of poor quality audio output, but gsmarena reports that the quality is good, although they would expect better from a flagship phone, and measured the maximum in call voice volume at 77.5 dB which is an excellent score.  They did report that the bottom speaker is louder than the earpiece speaker and that the earpiece speaker is more treble in nature with the bottom speaker being more bass.  But voice conversation, I think, uses the treble range so that shouldn't be a problem in a voice call.

All in all I would say a favorable review.  The Pixel 3 is not yet for sale on USA Amazon.  It is for sale at the Google Store who rejected my order some weeks ago because I was physically in Thailand.  It is for sale at Best Buy USA yoked to Verizon so that doesn't help those of us in Thailand.  I would expect Amazon to stock it but I have no idea when that will happen.

I just ordered a Meizu 16th, white, 6/64 Global version from Hongkong VT at AliExpress.  It was $416.99 (14,103.26 baht), which I paid for with my K Bank account.

This is actually the second time that I have ordered a Meizu 16th from AliExpress.  The first time the seller was slow in getting it shipped and I thought maybe the upcoming Meizu 16X would offer better value with less memory, a Snapdragon 710 CPU, and a less expensive price, so I cancelled the order. I decided against the Meizu 16X when a review on Youtube said that the earpiece speaker was not as loud as the bottom speaker.  The Meizu 16X, I think, is a nice value phone, but I am looking for (hopefully) pristine audio output.

Then I tried to buy the Google Pixel 3 online from the Google Store who rejected my purchase.  Then I was interested in the Huawei Mate 20 Pro until gsmarena really panned its audio output (and subsequently has reported many users unhappy with the screen bleeding problems).

I think (I hope), that this time I have got it right.  And the price is lower now than when I first ordered it.  Hongkong VT states that they have it in stock with fast shipping and I am having it sent via free AliExpress standard shipping.

So hopefully before Thanksgiving I will have a review up on it and be listing my Meizu 15 for sale.

Especially when using mobile banking that's very handy.

Sarcasm?  I don't use mobile banking.  I keep my computer secure for banking, etc, and I use a mobile to make phone calls.

killerbeez; you might want to go to gsmarena and read their review of the Mate 20 Pro and also read about the screen bleed issue.  I was extremely keen about the Mate 20 Pro until I read those things on gsmarena.  As far as specs go, I consider the Mate 20 Pro the king of phones.  But it seems that some of the implementation of the Mate 20 Pro specs are problematic.  It's a nice phone still, just saying, if you pre-ordered from Lazada it's an easy return for money back.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:44 PM, daocat555 said:

Especially when using mobile banking that's very handy.

Sarcasm?  I don't use mobile banking.  I keep my computer secure for banking, etc, and I use a mobile to make phone calls.

killerbeez; you might want to go to gsmarena and read their review of the Mate 20 Pro and also read about the screen bleed issue.  I was extremely keen about the Mate 20 Pro until I read those things on gsmarena.  As far as specs go, I consider the Mate 20 Pro the king of phones.  But it seems that some of the implementation of the Mate 20 Pro specs are problematic.  It's a nice phone still, just saying, if you pre-ordered from Lazada it's an easy return for money back.

I got a chance to play with these devices today in the true shop

The mate 20 pro is a very nice design and the new kirin chipset feels quicker than any other phone I've used (it was connected to 4g and WiFi and a playstore account so fully functional to test whatever you want) 

Their new camera is lightning fast and takes crystal clear images without any blurring even when you are deliberately moving it while taking pictures so the image stabilisation is excellent ... 

The mate 20 x  Version is the one

I would probably choose , it doesn't have all the cool features the pro version has but viewing videos, pics or browsing the web on the 7.2" screen looks fantastic and is worth some sacrifice imo .... 

When i first read the screen size + 5k battery spec on the Internet it sounded like a brick/tablet but  it really isn't

Huawei have managed to keep it compact enough that it still easily fits in front or back jeans pocket so knowing that it will probably be my next phone..... Unless something better comes along... ???? 

Unfortunately, Since July Huawei are not allowing users to have root access to the devices anymore , that won't affect most users but if you like to run custom software or mods etc you probably need to pick another brand because i don't think Huawei will change their new policy anytime soon.... 

I got a chance to play with these devices today in the true shop

The mate 20 pro is a very nice design and the new kirin chipset feels quicker than any other phone I've used (it was connected to 4g and WiFi and a playstore account so fully functional to test whatever you want) 

Their new camera is lightning fast and takes crystal clear images without any blurring even when you are deliberately moving it while taking pictures so the image stabilisation is excellent ... 

The mate 20 x  Version is the one
I would probably choose , it doesn't have all the cool features the pro version has but viewing videos, pics or browsing the web on the 7.2" screen looks fantastic and is worth some sacrifice imo .... 

When i first read the screen size + 5k battery spec on the Internet it sounded like a brick/tablet but  it really isn't

Huawei have managed to keep it compact enough that it still easily fits in front or back jeans pocket so knowing that it will probably be my next phone..... Unless something better comes along... [emoji3] 

Unfortunately, Since July Huawei are not allowing users to have root access to the devices anymore , that won't affect most users but if you like to run custom software or mods etc you probably need to pick another brand because i don't think Huawei will change their new policy anytime soon.... 

I've just bought a honor 8x max,gets delivered on Friday, scaled down specs but has the Dolby atmos duel speaker set up, that mate 20 x does look a tremendous piece of kit though.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You guys and your tank phones.  I think lanng khao, at least, didn't mortgage the house to buy his tank as the Honor 8X max is $226.11 at AliExpress while the Mate 20 X is $836 and that's a big difference in price for somewhat similar specs.

The Mate 20 X has a 7.2 inch screen vs 7.12 inch for the Honor 8X Max and the Honor 8X Max has a body width of 86.3mm vs 85.4mm for the Mate 20 X, so the Mate 20 X is marginally more compact with a better screen-to-body ratio but not by a real lot.  The Honor 8X Max is 210 grams vs 232 grams for the Mate 20 X with the same 5000 mAh battery.  

To me the big difference is price.  Of course CPU performance and camera performance wise the Mate 20 X wins big over the Honor 8X Max.

I'll try not to go on and on about this but gsmarena did not care for the audio quality of the Mate 20 Pro which has a similar speaker set up as Mate 10 Pro and the Mate 20 and the P 20 Pro.  If I remember correctly, ks45672, you own a Mate 10 Pro, so you have a good notion of the audio output you will likely get from the Mate 20 X.

The maximum in call voice volume was measured at 70.1 dB for the Mate 10 Pro and 71.8 dB for the Mate 20 Pro and gsmarena has not reviewed the Mate 20 X or Honor 8X Max.  Me as broken record here but my very non-tank Meizu 15 has a maximum in call voice volume of 77 dB and the ear speaker is very clear.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 10:48 AM, daocat555 said:
You guys and your tank phones.  I think lanng khao, at least, didn't mortgage the house to buy his tank as the Honor 8X max is $226.11 at AliExpress while the Mate 20 X is $836 and that's a big difference in price for somewhat similar specs.

The Mate 20 X has a 7.2 inch screen vs 7.12 inch for the Honor 8X Max and the Honor 8X Max has a body width of 86.3mm vs 85.4mm for the Mate 20 X, so the Mate 20 X is marginally more compact with a better screen-to-body ratio but not by a real lot.  The Honor 8X Max is 210 grams vs 232 grams for the Mate 20 X with the same 5000 mAh battery.  

To me the big difference is price.  Of course CPU performance and camera performance wise the Mate 20 X wins big over the Honor 8X Max.

I'll try not to go on and on about this but gsmarena did not care for the audio quality of the Mate 20 Pro which has a similar speaker set up as Mate 10 Pro and the Mate 20 and the P 20 Pro.  If I remember correctly, ks45672, you own a Mate 10 Pro, so you have a good notion of the audio output you will likely get from the Mate 20 X.

The maximum in call voice volume was measured at 70.1 dB for the Mate 10 Pro and 71.8 dB for the Mate 20 Pro and gsmarena has not reviewed the Mate 20 X or Honor 8X Max.  Me as broken record here but my very non-tank Meizu 15 has a maximum in call voice volume of 77 dB and the ear speaker is very clear.

Different strokes for different folks.

I can't remember the last time I've made a conventional phone call... Usually if people call they use whatsapp, line or Skype with chat voice or video etc 

The mate 20 x is a lot better and faster than I expected it to be, you will be surprised how good it is after using one, i picked up the note 9 right after and it and it felt a noticeably slower user experience for about the same  price

You guys and your tank phones.  I think lanng khao, at least, didn't mortgage the house to buy his tank as the Honor 8X max is $226.11 at AliExpress while the Mate 20 X is $836 and that's a big difference in price for somewhat similar specs.   https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9369&idPhone2=9306   https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/huawei-honor-8x-max-6gb-64gb-al00,huawei-mate-20x-l29   The Mate 20 X has a 7.2 inch screen vs 7.12 inch for the Honor 8X Max and the Honor 8X Max has a body width of 86.3mm vs 85.4mm for the Mate 20 X, so the Mate 20 X is marginally more compact with a better screen-to-body ratio but not by a real lot.  The Honor 8X Max is 210 grams vs 232 grams for the Mate 20 X with the same 5000 mAh battery.     To me the big difference is price.  Of course CPU performance and camera performance wise the Mate 20 X wins big over the Honor 8X Max.   I'll try not to go on and on about this but gsmarena did not care for the audio quality of the Mate 20 Pro which has a similar speaker set up as Mate 10 Pro and the Mate 20 and the P 20 Pro.  If I remember correctly, ks45672, you own a Mate 10 Pro, so you have a good notion of the audio output you will likely get from the Mate 20 X.   The maximum in call voice volume was measured at 70.1 dB for the Mate 10 Pro and 71.8 dB for the Mate 20 Pro and gsmarena has not reviewed the Mate 20 X or Honor 8X Max.  Me as broken record here but my very non-tank Meizu 15 has a maximum in call voice volume of 77 dB and the ear speaker is very clear.   Different strokes for different folks.
Cost me £280 , 128 gig, got it more for the media experience, Dolby atmos, 7 inch screen, only got the 626 processor so not expecting the fastest, if no good il probably sell it and got the honornote 10, you certainly know your stuff..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 9/21/2018 at 3:17 PM, Ks45672 said:

What exactly do you want from the new phone? You can get a lot of options in a phone but if you are not going to use them there is little point in paying for them. Decide what you want from a phone then decide which one you want to buy

While we are quoting and miss-quoting people my favorite recent phrase is,

"There literally is no more difference between computers and phones ".

I didn't know that there is literally no more difference between computers and phones; I am happy to learn something new every day.  I wouldn't deign to use sarcasm on TVF, I actually used to think that there were differences between computers and phones.

While on the topic of security for computers and phones I recently set up fingerprint ID on my computer in case somebody steals my phone which has no security lock on it to this day.  That way hopefully I won't really be hurt by somebody else using up my AIS minutes talking on my stolen phone.  Oh wait, I will still have the serious damage of somebody using up my AIS minutes.

I'll have to rethink the entire matter.  In the meantime Lazada has a big sale on 11/11 so I'm looking forward to that.

While we are quoting and miss-quoting people my favorite recent phrase is,   "There literally is no more difference between computers and phones ".   I didn't know that there is literally no more difference between computers and phones; I am happy to learn something new every day.  I wouldn't deign to use sarcasm on TVF, I actually used to think that there were differences between computers and phones.   While on the topic of security for computers and phones I recently set up fingerprint ID on my computer in case somebody steals my phone which has no security lock on it to this day.  That way hopefully I won't really be hurt by somebody else using up my AIS minutes talking on my stolen phone.  Oh wait, I will still have the serious damage of somebody using up my AIS minutes.   I'll have to rethink the entire matter.  In the meantime Lazada has a big sale on 11/11 so I'm looking forward to that.

Do you have the SIM lock activated? One thing I always use. At least then if the battery dies or someone tries to switch the SIM they need the code for the SIM to work. I do always use the screen lock though. At home I have trusted Bluetooth devices, at least one of which is always on, ski they unlock the the phone automatically when at home. Somebody finding an unlocked phone could run up quite a tab on a post paid SIM.

Posted using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It was just posted in the Pocophone Topic that the Meizu 16th is on a 11/11 sale at LazMall.  Here was my response to that bit of news.

rwilem, thank you very much and wow,wow,wow.  I didn't think Lazada would ever list the Meizu 16th, and if I had known that it would be 11,990 baht at LazMall that is how I would have bought it.

Searching priceza for the Meizu 16th I get.

And searching Priceprice I get it for 15,426.70 baht at Banggood listed as not in stock but "coming soon".

I never thought to directly search Lazada for the phone as it seems that no new Meizu model has been for sale at Lazada since the Meizu Pro 7 was released in August, 2017.  Darn, I sure wish I had done a search on Lazada before I ordered it from AliExpress.

I ordered it from AliExpress on November 5'th and my total price was 14,103.26 baht.  It has already been shipped so I can not cancel my AliExpress order while it is in transit..  So I paid 2,113.26 baht more than the phone sells for today at LazMall.  And if you order it today you will have it in your hands weeks before I will have mine (I had it sent via AliExpress standard shipping not DHL)..  Please post your thoughts on the phone if you decide to buy it.

My thoughts on the phone before testing it and with no full gsmarena review for it is that it's the best phone for me.  I bought the Meizu 15 from AliExpress and recieved it on May 18'th.  I paid 14,874.64 baht for that phone and I like it a lot.  It is compact and lightweight with excellent audio output and a very decent camera.

The Meizu 16th similarly is compact and lightweight with a 6 inch screen.  It has a slightly larger battery with Android Oreo (with the Flyme skin) instead of Android Nougat (with the Flyme skin) for the Meizu 15, so even with the Snapdragon 845 I would expect battery rundown time to be as good as the Meizu 15 which gsmarena measured at 77 hours endurance rating.  In my use of the Meizu 15 I easily get 3-4 days of battery life on a full charge and the phone charges extremely rapidly at 12 V/2 A, 15 W.  I plug it in for about 30 minutes every 2-3 days to top it up to 100%.

The maximum in call voice volume was measured at 77 dB by gsmarena and the sound is very clear on the Meizu 15.  The Meizu 16th advertisements report that the audio has been improved and it was excellent already.

I considered the Google Pixel 3 as I like light, compact phones but I joined a user group for it on Facebook and quite a few people complained that the speaker output was poor, with hissing and buzzing sounds at times, and the earpiece speaker is tinny sounding with the bass and most of the volume coming from the lower speaker.  So that eliminated that.

I was keen on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro until gsmarena really panned the audio output, and subsequently reported some end users complaining of strong screen bleeding issues.  So that eliminated that.

For me the Apple XS is the only phone that stands up somewhat well to the Meizu 16th.  But the maximum in call voice volume is 71 dB and I am an Android kind of guy, not to mention it's almost three times more expensive,  So that ones out.

Here are the Meizu 16th, the Poco, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as compared.  The Meizu 16th is the clear winner, for me.  I included the Poco as a well know mid-high end value buy, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro as a "latest and greatest" contender (pretender?).

The Meizu and the Poco both have vapor cooling, and maybe Meizu implemented this better as Kimovil reports a higher Antutu score for the Meizu.  I forget if the Mate 20 Pro has vapor cooling but its CPU is the fastest and is reportedly very efficient (which reduces heat) and it has the highest Antutu score.  All three are blazing fast.

I got mine in the white color and the Global version. I did not see "Global version" on the Lazada listing but it almost certainly is the Global version.  The Chinese version has only the Chinese and English language, no Thai language, so it is all but inconceivable that Lazada would be selling the Chines version or the rooted Chinese version.   LazMall is an easy return for cash back if by some weird circumstance you get sent the Chinese version.

I could go on and on about why I like the Meizu 16th the best, but that would be for me.  I'll conclude by saying no massive notch!

SooKee; I don't know what SIM lock is.  I certainly have never used it.  I use an AIS Net Marathon prepaid SIM.  Since you were polite in your posting, SooKee, I will respond in kind by saying that for me I feel it is best to leave my phone unlocked using neither face nor fingerprint lock.  That works well for me and on that issue I don't see myself as changing my mind.  Hey, I'm an old guy, they can be intractable.  Other people may feel free to secure their phones as they wish.
Edited by daocat555
fix typo
  • Like 1

Whoops, that previous post was in the Pocofone topic. Maybe should have been over here. I see that Daocat has mentioned it. I will update with my experience of buying the Meizu 16th at Lazada.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Meizu 16th--I think, I hope did at least--at Lazada. My first purchase there, so had to go through the registration process, getting the address and other details in there. Completing the payment got a little confusing, though. After entering the credit card info, hitting the 'pay now' button, I was waiting a few moments while it was processing. Always tricky with credit cards, online payments, addresses here and elsewhere involved.

What came up was a page entirely in Thai, with a face of an animated character, maybe a dog?  But the face had a scowl, or a depressed expression. OK...I took that to mean the payment was not approved. That's a drag. Well, I clicked back and decided to go with the cash-on-delivery method, see it that would work. 

Did that and yes, got a confirmation.  And an order number, expected delivery date between the 20th and 22nd. (So I might get the phone after Daocat get his.) That confirmation notice said to get 11,900 baht ready for the payment, sounds good to me.

But going back to 'my orders', or account page, whatever, there are two orders for the phone; one says 'pending', the other says 'processing', and I could not figure out which is which. Certainly don't need two, ha.

This was all done via the Lazada app. OK, try the website, see what my orders look like there. But anytime I tried to access the website by browser, the app automatically opened, even after I had 'force quit' it! So I deleted the app, accessed my account from the website, and was able to see which order was which, and delete the order by credit card. Or maybe that order was just waiting for payment, as the previous try by card didn't go through. But what is odd is both orders have the identical order number! And you'd want to try to get that clear up, as soon as it's noticed, but chat support was over for the day. 

I'll try to get it straightened out tomorrow. So keeping fingers crossed it all be OK. 

The Meizu 16th does tick off a lot of the boxes for me as well. I had been looking into the Poco F1, some of the other Xiaomi offerings, and the Oneplus 6, but I think the Meizu 16th is the phone I like best.

Edited by rwilem
  • Like 1