High End Mobile Recomendations

daocat555

The day after the big 11/11 Lazada sale let's see what the prices of relevant phones are.

Firstly, the Meizu 16th has increased in price from 11,000 baht to 17,900 baht. The LazMall 6/64 Poco has increased from 9,490 to 10,490  baht.  The Lasaer at Lazada Poco 6/128 is unchanged at 10,200 baht.  And the Poco Armoured Limited Edition has increased from 11,990 baht to 12,990 baht.

The Realme 2 Pro has increased from 5,990 baht to 6,590 baht and is in stock in black or blue.  The Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro is 6,790 baht in black or 6,990 baht in blue or rose gold.  The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite went up a bit in price, and with the superior, to me, Realme 2 Pro in a similar mid priced range the A2 Lite is no longer a recommended buy by me.

The Samsung Galaxy J6 is about the same price and may be of interest to people wanting a mid-range phone with a Super AMOLED screen.  The Galaxy A8 is a bit more expensive than it was yesterday.

I remain very keen about the Meizu 16th, and several stores at AliExpress are offering it at a good price of about 13,000 baht, and one seller may be offer a $100 discount user coupon if you are a new user buying that model.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, daocat555 said:
The day after the big 11/11 Lazada sale let's see what the prices of relevant phones are.

Firstly, the Meizu 16th has increased in price from 11,000 baht to 17,900 baht. The LazMall 6/64 Poco has increased from 9,490 to 10,490  baht.  The Lasaer at Lazada Poco 6/128 is unchanged at 10,200 baht.  And the Poco Armoured Limited Edition has increased from 11,990 baht to 12,990 baht.

The Realme 2 Pro has increased from 5,990 baht to 6,590 baht and is in stock in black or blue.  The Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro is 6,790 baht in black or 6,990 baht in blue or rose gold.  The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite went up a bit in price, and with the superior, to me, Realme 2 Pro in a similar mid priced range the A2 Lite is no longer a recommended buy by me.

The Samsung Galaxy J6 is about the same price and may be of interest to people wanting a mid-range phone with a Super AMOLED screen.  The Galaxy A8 is a bit more expensive than it was yesterday.

I remain very keen about the Meizu 16th, and several stores at AliExpress are offering it at a good price of about 13,000 baht, and one seller may be offer a $100 discount user coupon if you are a new user buying that model.

I looked at it to replace my Note 4 but it doesn't have an IR blaster, NFC, and the resolution 1080 x 2160  vs a 4 year old phone at 1440 x 2560  Does it have a stylus?  The bluetooth 5 is nice and that's why I'm looking to replace my Note 4.  I don't want to take a phone to walk the dog.  

The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is my pick for a phone with a stylus.  It's 29,200 baht at Lazada and I think it touches most of the bases you are looking for.  I'm not so keen on the Galaxy Note 8 so for a less expensive stylus phone I like the Fan Edition which appears to be sold out at Lazada right now.

I bought a nice emerald green Huawei Mate 20 Pro and I like it just fine.

Mine is the 6GB/128GB version. Bought it on Lazada for 30590฿.

The camera part of the phone works better than I thought it would. Very nice, even in low light.  

I had a Zenfone 3 before this, so this Mate 20 Pro is a very nice upgrade from that.

No disappointments. Very fast. Works great. Buy it! ????????????

The 6/128 Emerald green Mate 20 Pro is the one I had my eyes on at Lazada until gsmarena panned the audio output, which for hard of hearing me is a deal breaker; but the sound should be okay for normal people; just not up to the level of the other features of the phone.

Calling it a "very nice upgrade" from a Zenfone 3 is kind of like saying a Ferrari is a "very nice upgrade" from a Fiat.

Flash sale at Lazada for the Meizu 16th. Don't know when it started but the price of 11,900 baht is valid through today, the 19th, for the black color model, 6GB RAM/64GB ROM. Same model as what I ordered a week ago on the 11/11 sale, which is supposed to be delivered to me this week.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/meizu-16th-ram-6-gb-rom-64gb-i264388225-s415605374.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.1b1f412efOqIjd&search=1

Edited by rwilem
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the sale is over, the price at Lazada is back to 17,900 baht on the black Meizu 16th. A sticker on the page earlier said the sales price was good through today, 11/19. But obviously not, as this evening it's no longer showing the sales price. 

I ordered my Meizu 16th from AliExpress on November 5'th and it arrived on November 22'nd.  I bought it from the Hongkong VT Store for 14,103 baht.

It does not have NFC or wireless charging.  The battery is 3010 mAh.  My memory is 6/64 and the ROM is not expandable.  For me, and I suggest that for many people it is the best phone that money can buy right now (ok, for those money is no object folks go for the 8/128 memory.)

It is thin and light with a Super AMOLED screen.  The audio is great.  And I got mine in the white color which I think looks really nice.  The build quality appears to be top notch. 

I would prefer it to have wireless charging for convenience and NFC for snob appeal, but phones which have those (Mate 20 Pro) do not have, in my opinion, the other desirable features of the Meizu 16th.  Phone features require a trade off.

In May the next  Meizu Flagship might be announced and it is expected to be the same basic phone with internal upgrades such a Snapdragon 8150.  For me staying with the same 6 inch screen makes sense.  It is big enough to show taxi drivers where you want to go on Google Maps, but not so large that the phone is bulky to carry around.

It has my highest recommendation. 
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, daocat555 said:
I ordered my Meizu 16th from AliExpress on November 5'th and it arrived on November 22'nd.  I bought it from the Hongkong VT Store for 14,103 baht.

It does not have NFC or wireless charging.  The battery is 3010 mAh.  My memory is 6/64 and the ROM is not expandable.  For me, and I suggest that for many people it is the best phone that money can buy right now (ok, for those money is no object folks go for the 8/128 memory.)

It is thin and light with a Super AMOLED screen.  The audio is great.  And I got mine in the white color which I think looks really nice.  The build quality appears to be top notch. 

I would prefer it to have wireless charging for convenience and NFC for snob appeal, but phones which have those (Mate 20 Pro) do not have, in my opinion, the other desirable features of the Meizu 16th.  Phone features require a trade off.

In May the next  Meizu Flagship might be announced and it is expected to be the same basic phone with internal upgrades such a Snapdragon 8150.  For me staying with the same 6 inch screen makes sense.  It is big enough to show taxi drivers where you want to go on Google Maps, but not so large that the phone is bulky to carry around.

It has my highest recommendation. 

You probably would never use NFC I know I havent and I deal with these systems

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 1:39 PM, sammieuk1 said:

A laptop can do 10x more at half the price but is a tad difficult to put to your ear . 33,000 bt for a S9 plus is blatant profiteering. 

45k for an iPhone 10xs max is a better example of blatant profiteering lol

On 11/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, upu2 said:

You probably would never use NFC I know I havent and I deal with these systems

I use it every day when I hook up my peripherals like Plaintronics and Sony.   Pair the handset with the Android™ device manually (using Bluetooth®) or automatically (using NFC).

Edited by marcusarelus

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I use it every day when I hook up my peripherals like Plaintronics and Sony.   Pair the handset with the Android™ device manually (using Bluetooth®) or automatically (using NFC).

There are easier ways of doing it than using NFC

46 minutes ago, upu2 said:

There are easier ways of doing it than using NFC

No there is not.  NFC is a technology that enables Bluetooth devices to establish wireless communication with each other by simply touching the devices together. Refer to the owner's guide of your device to see if your model supports NFC.

17 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No there is not.  NFC is a technology that enables Bluetooth devices to establish wireless communication with each other by simply touching the devices together. Refer to the owner's guide of your device to see if your model supports NFC.

Yes there is you just dont know them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

My top 4 value high end recommendations are:

1) OnePlus 7T

2) OnePlus 7T

3) OnePlus 7T

4) Meizu 16S

I think for most people who don't want to pay the money for an Apple, Google, or Samsung that the OnePlus 7T really hits the sweet spot for high end price/performance.  Google reviews and read rave review after rave review and "phone of the year" awards aplenty.  Lazada has it at no discount and HongKongVT at Aliexpress has it at a nice discount.  For me, who likes thin, light, and powerful phones stamped Meizu I am most likely going to buy the Meizu 16S when it hits Lazada or HongKongVT at Aliexpress in the global version in blue.

Both phones offer very high end stereo sound, nice camera set ups and a svelte form with the Oneplus 7T having a flat screen, slightly wider side bezels and a very tall screen, and the Meizu having a semi-curved display and a more squarish screen.

I recently bought the OnePlus 7 Pro on the Lazada sale for 17,744 baht. It's an amazing phone, 6.7 in screen QHD, 90 hz refresh. So much better than any phone i have used before. Got to be the best high end and still a lot cheaper than some of the so called flagships.

• Like 1

As they say in Thailand I know you for a long time Henryford.  I am delighted you have your OnePlus flagship but have some questions.  What are you doing with your used OnePluses'?  Why did you choose the OnePlus 7 Pro over the OnePlus 7 T?  And lastly if a wealthy benefactor offered to buy you any phone with the stipulation that you would use it not sell it what would you choose?   I can't answer for myself (maybe Samsung Galaxy S10?); but the Meizu 16S is less than half the price of the other guy's flagships. And that's my cup of tea.

9 hours ago, daocat555 said:

As they say in Thailand I know you for a long time Henryford.  I am delighted you have your OnePlus flagship but have some questions.  What are you doing with your used OnePluses'?  Why did you choose the OnePlus 7 Pro over the OnePlus 7 T?  And lastly if a wealthy benefactor offered to buy you any phone with the stipulation that you would use it not sell it what would you choose?   I can't answer for myself (maybe Samsung Galaxy S10?); but the Meizu 16S is less than half the price of the other guy's flagships. And that's my cup of tea.

Yes i am a bit of a OnePlus fanboy. I sold my Oneplus 6 (too cheaply). I chose the 7 Pro for it's bigger screen, QHD screen and no notch (pop up), and the 256gb memory, also i didn't like the camera set up on the back of the 7T. At 17744 baht about the same price. I don't think there is any other phone i would prefer at any price (maybe the 7T Pro). It's a joke people pay 40-50,000 for an Apple.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, Henryford said:

I recently bought the OnePlus 7 Pro on the Lazada sale for 17,744 baht. It's an amazing phone, 6.7 in screen QHD, 90 hz refresh. So much better than any phone i have used before. Got to be the best high end and still a lot cheaper than some of the so called flagships.

Try the realme x2 pro... 

Very impressive for the money

• Thanks 1

Below find the OnePlus 7T the OnePlus 7T Pro and the Meizu 16S as compared on GMSArena (my gold standard for reviews), devicespecifications and Kimovil.

Compare OnePlus 7T vs. OnePlus 7T Pro vs. Meizu 16s - GSMArena.com

Meizu 16S VS. OnePlus 7T VS. OnePlus 7T Pro: Comparison

First concerning the camera set-ups the camera on the OnePlus 7T Pro is by far the best and the Kimovil numbers on that are flat out bogus.  Next I prefer a notch to a pop up selfie (personal taste) and last check out the body size and screen size as reported on the devicespecification's comparison.  The OnePlus 7T Pro is a big, long screen and not the lightest or smallest body around, but yeah, the screen and rear cameras totally rock.

It is also interesting how much more expensive the list price of the 7T Pro was over the 7T but in the actual real world price at Lazada the 7T Pro may be the best in terms of cost effectiveness.      

And I did read one review a few days ago which touted the Realme X2 Pro as an outstanding value in a flagship killing phone so prolly I will be posting more about that phone.