Help Finding Meat Grinder

ProThaiExpat

Would very much appreciate someone directing me to a store that they know, for sure, has meat grinders for sale.

Would prefer an electric one, if available.

Please also give directions as I am not all that familiar with Chiang Mai.

Many thanks for your help.

Would very much appreciate someone directing me to a store that they know, for sure, has meat grinders for sale. 

Would prefer an electric one, if available.

Please also give directions as I am not all that familiar with Chiang Mai.

Many thanks for your help.

The shop that sells all types of machines and stuff at the southeast corner of the chotana/super hiway intersection has them. I saw one out front of the shop a couple of days ago. I belive they have both crank and motorized...

Near the top of ChiangMai-Lamphoon rd, sort of across from the Brasserie (and up from The Riverside Restaurant), there is a shop that sells and services machines like that, too. A couple more such shops along that stretch of road.

Also among the shops in and around Worarot market there are a few more such shops, the shop a couple of doors up from Kasem Store also had a grinder the last time I was there...

P1P: Thanks for your post. I am looking for a grinder for my home. I am tired of paying as much as 40 or 50 baht more for lean ground meat over the unground version.

Ajarn: Many thanks for the leads. You know where I will be driving tomorrow and will report back in when I find an electric one for my kitchen.

Am I the only one reading this topic who got reminded of a particulary nasty incident involving a meat grinder and an adulterous husband? :D Just reading that story was enough to definitely put me off having meat grinders around the house. :o

Am I the only one reading this topic who got reminded of a particulary nasty incident involving a meat grinder and an adulterous husband? :D    Just reading that story was enough to definitely put me off having meat grinders around the house. :o

They're not just for various 'meats' anymore. Great for Peanut Butter, too! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ajarn: and all others, here is my follow up, my internet connection down for a week as usual.

First went to the big hardware/machinery store on the southeast corner of super highway and mae rim road and found three or four heavy duty hand crank models made by Chechs.

Then went to Mackro and bought the electric one for 879. Happy as a clam until I tried to use it. The motor is too underpowerd to force all but the softest meat through the mincer. It just "hung up" when the force required was to great for the little motor.

Returned it and go full refund.

Went back to first stop, bought a mid-size hand grinder, and couldn't be happier. It is a little heavy in the lifting department, but otherwise a real grinder.

One of the shortcomings on the electric one was the corckscrew drive shaft was not machined, but cast aluminum, so the contact between the screw blades and the side of the grinder was not tight, allowing meat to get wedged between.

The Chech model has machined corkscrew edges that come in tight contact with the tube of the grinder so meat cannot get inbetween. I have even ground frozen meat without a problem. I did need to mount the hand grinder, but had a extra laminated shelf from my kitchen cabinets that works well.

Must oil the machined parts otherwise rust after washing.

Many thanks for all your help. Finding what you want and having it work in Thailand is a blessing, and only possible sometimes with Thaivisa guys help.

Just an observation.....

It seems that Americans who post here (on grinders at least) are in much greater numbers than posters from the English (UK english) speaking world as the majority of these peoples would be referring to "mincers" if looking for a device to mince meat.

:o

Am I the only one reading this topic who got reminded of a particulary nasty incident involving a meat grinder and an adulterous husband? :D    Just reading that story was enough to definitely put me off having meat grinders around the house. :o

They're not just for various 'meats' anymore. Great for Peanut Butter, too! :D

Crushed nuts :D

john b good: Right on! Seems like the "colonialists" have gone wrong again, after all the meat is not ground, as in wheat or other grains, but pushed through a "mincer".

On the other hand, underground trains go through "tunnels" not tubes and "knocking up a girl" requires an abortion, not a cup of tea. Cheers

Ajarn: and all others, here is my follow up, my internet connection down for a week as usual.

First went to the big hardware/machinery store on the southeast corner of super highway and mae rim road and found three or four heavy duty hand crank models made by Chechs.

Then went to Mackro and bought the electric one for 879. Happy as a clam until I tried to use it. The motor is too underpowerd to force all but the softest meat through the mincer. It just "hung up" when the force required was to great for the little motor.

Returned it and go full refund.

Went back to first stop, bought a mid-size hand grinder, and couldn't be happier. It is a little heavy in the lifting department, but otherwise a real grinder.

One of the shortcomings on the electric one was the corckscrew drive shaft was not machined, but cast aluminum, so the contact between the screw blades and the side of the grinder was not tight, allowing meat to get wedged between.

The Chech model has machined corkscrew edges that come in tight contact with the tube of the grinder so meat cannot get inbetween. I have even ground frozen meat without a problem. I did need to mount the hand grinder, but had a extra laminated shelf from my kitchen cabinets that works well.

Must oil the machined parts otherwise rust after washing.

Many thanks for all your help. Finding what you want and having it work in Thailand is a blessing, and only possible sometimes with Thaivisa guys help.

Thanks for the education :o