Keto and Back

Justfine

I was in the Keto zone for 4 months. Low carbs around 40 to 50 grams a day. I'm now in the low carb zone around 70 to 80 grams.

I feel more comfortable in the low carb zone plus adding veges and fruit for nutrition seems a better way to go long term.

In terms of fat loss I can't tell the difference. I have however done more resistance training in the low carb zone and I liked the idea of adding some extra carbs rather than more fat but bacon, eggs and avocado for breakfast is hard to beat! Just can't do it everyday.

After doing this for 6 months and 26 consecutive weight loss weeks I really can't see a better way to eat than low carb.

The biggest obstacle was low sodium not carbs though. That caught me off guard. But the upside is I can add more salt to fresh food and enjoy it!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best diet is the one you can keep doing, good to see you found what works for you. 

I am of the opinion there is not 1 diet (should call it life style) that works for all. It depends on personal preference and how you exercise. 

For me I am higher in the carbs than you probably double or more., though all before 12 in the afternoon, after that I only eat salad and protein. I start of big and taper my meals down.

Recently saw a nice documentaries (the truth about carbs, the truth about obesity) and they had some interesting finds. Like some people can handle carbs far better then others and an easy test with a cracker if you eat a normal tasteless cracker and you feel its taste change fast you can handle carbs if it takes longer or no taste change you can't handle carbs or should be careful with them.

The ultimate test is of course a blood test.

An other thing they did was to give someone an english fryup in the morning and later one (after a fast) at night. Same meal different blood values, it turns out that eating at night is worse for your insulin respons and blood sugar.

If you need the documentaries give me PM and ill make sure you can access them.

15 hours ago, Justfine said:

the Keto zone for 4 months. Low carbs around 40 to 50 grams a day. I'm now in the low carb zone around 70 to 80 grams.

I feel more comfortable in the low carb zone plus adding veges and fruit for nutrition seems a better way to go long term.

In terms of fat loss I can't tell the difference. I have however done more resistance training in the low carb zone and I liked the idea of adding some extra carbs rather than more fat but bacon, eggs and avocado for breakfast is hard to beat! Just can't do it everyday.

After doing this for 6 months and 26 consecutive weight loss weeks I really can't see a better way to eat than low carb.

The biggest obstacle was low sodium not carbs though. That caught me off guard. But the upside is I can add more salt to fresh food and enjoy it!

Sorry. This is an English language forum.

Can you write all that again in English rather than Gobbledygook.

No unnerstan……..

I started the keto diet about 5 weeks ago. It has been the easiest diet I have ever been on. I have lost 10.5 kilos since starting the diet. I am never hungry and I never get cravings. The only thing I really miss is eating pizza with the bread and not just eating the toppings haha

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sorry. This is an English language forum.

Can you write all that again in English rather than Gobbledygook.

No unnerstan……..

Ask someone who understands English to explain it to you.

41 minutes ago, lubfishin said:

I started the keto diet about 5 weeks ago. It has been the easiest diet I have ever been on. I have lost 10.5 kilos since starting the diet. I am never hungry and I never get cravings. The only thing I really miss is eating pizza with the bread and not just eating the toppings haha

Good luck. 

I do keto with fruit veg and feel great without any lag or tiredness from training which is usually twice a day.  I did platau in weightloss as I am trying to get ripped.  I found carb cycling worked for me really well.  5 days keto with fruit and veg then 2 days any carbs I want from cake bread pizza etc as long as I still do my protien intake, Im getting thinner as it confuses the body that its not in starving mode from keto alone.  Only thing that sucks is day 1 back on keto and bodys metabolism is through the roof.

If you want to stay in keto and are wary of carbs, then coconut oil is great for energy (to me, better than carbs but ymmv).  It also dampens appetite.  A tablespoon here and there.

Apparently it's only the liver and a couple of small regions of the brain that need sugar.  I'd imagine you can get all the carbs you need from vegetables.

(speaking as a sedentary person who likes to experiment on all kinds of things - and not one who should be followed ?

Made a wonderful chicken salad with red & green pepper. Some horse reddish-onions and mayonnaise. Shocker= it got sugar.

Where to find sugar free mayonnaise in CM?

Seems this is the only sugar free brand=

Duke's Mayonnaise, made with Eugenia Duke's original recipe since 1917.

I also live the "Keto Lifestyle", Best thing I ever did. If you really want to get the best out of keto, you can combine it with intermittent fasting. That's not for everyone but it works great. My son is also doing Keto now and he has lost 10 kg and is now motivated to get back in the gym.

3 hours ago, BigT73 said:

I do keto with fruit veg and feel great without any lag or tiredness from training which is usually twice a day.  I did platau in weightloss as I am trying to get ripped.  I found carb cycling worked for me really well.  5 days keto with fruit and veg then 2 days any carbs I want from cake bread pizza etc as long as I still do my protien intake, Im getting thinner as it confuses the body that its not in starving mode from keto alone.  Only thing that sucks is day 1 back on keto and bodys metabolism is through the roof.

I would have thought switching it up would be bad for you. Mixed signals to the body.

(Thats what I read)

1 hour ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Made a wonderful chicken salad with red & green pepper. Some horse reddish-onions and mayonnaise. Shocker= it got sugar.

Where to find sugar free mayonnaise in CM?

Seems this is the only sugar free brand=

Duke's Mayonnaise, made with Eugenia Duke's original recipe since 1917.

Japanese mayo is low sugar.

3 hours ago, Shiver said:

3 hours ago, Shiver said:

If you want to stay in keto and are wary of carbs, then coconut oil is great for energy (to me, better than carbs but ymmv).  It also dampens appetite.  A tablespoon here and there.

Apparently it's only the liver and a couple of small regions of the brain that need sugar.  I'd imagine you can get all the carbs you need from vegetables.

(speaking as a sedentary person who likes to experiment on all kinds of things - and not one who should be followed ?

http://theconversation.com/five-claims-about-coconut-oil-debunked-85320

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

I would have thought switching it up would be bad for you. Mixed signals to the body.

(Thats what I read)

Actually the opposite your body doesnt understand when you are dieting, it thinks you are actually starving, bodys first response is to canabolise muscle as it isnt needed and perserve your body fat as a last resource fuel source, it will also try to slow down your metabolism.  Hence to trick it is to load up on calories once or twice a week it will then continue fatburning and perserve all your muscle gains.  Simalar to this was the low cal diet with a cheat day to load up on calories.

24 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

Actually the opposite your body doesnt understand when you are dieting, it thinks you are actually starving, bodys first response is to canabolise muscle as it isnt needed and perserve your body fat as a last resource fuel source, it will also try to slow down your metabolism.  Hence to trick it is to load up on calories once or twice a week it will then continue fatburning and perserve all your muscle gains.  Simalar to this was the low cal diet with a cheat day to load up on calories.

Source???

4 hours ago, Shiver said:

Are you under the impression that's some kind of secret tip? 

6 hours ago, lubfishin said:

Yeah pizza is gone for us. There really are no decent substitutes. I found low carb tortillas at Villa Market and I make pizza with that but those cauliflower crusts are a no go for me. My other big miss was ketchup and bbq sauce for my ribs but I found recipes for low carb versions of both online so I make my own now. 

9 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Source???

I been bodybuilding P/T for over 30 years,  all these keto diets etc are basically contest prep diets back from the early 90s which have been re marketed for the general public.  If you need sources bodybuilding bible by arnold swarz has all those diet types in there.  The funny thing is nobody was interested in the diets back when I was doing them in my 20s they assumed they would turn out like muscular freaks.  

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

https://peterattiamd.com/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist/

This guy increases carbs in line with added exercise. That makes sense to me.

Simply eating junk food 1 or 2 days without exercise I can't see how that helps.

I don't see how that helps either but there are some studies that show if you eat more at times it keeps the metabolic rate higher. But other studies say 2 days is not enough. Some swear by it others say it does not help. All you can do is figure it out yourself. 

But who says those 2 days with extra calories have to be junk food.

5 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

read what I wrote again,  it keeps your matabolism burning.

What happens over 10 years in terms of general health?

If you feel crap for 2 days each time how is that good long term?

Be interested in any studies on this.

9 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

I been bodybuilding P/T for over 30 years,  all these keto diets etc are basically contest prep diets back from the early 90s which have been re marketed for the general public.  If you need sources bodybuilding bible by arnold swarz has all those diet types in there.  The funny thing is nobody was interested in the diets back when I was doing them in my 20s they assumed they would turn out like muscular freaks.  

A lot of bodybuilders do drugs and die early.

I wonder with the clean ones what their health is like at 70yo.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't see how that helps either but there are some studies that show if you eat more at times it keeps the metabolic rate higher. But other studies say 2 days is not enough. Some swear by it others say it does not help. All you can do is figure it out yourself. 

But who says those 2 days with extra calories have to be junk food.

Ok but excessive carbs cause insulin spikes.

Isnt it like smoking one day a week.

Thats correct with choosing your type of carbs, it doesn't have to be junk food, its more of a  couple of cheat meals.  You eat your normal healthy protein meals and throw in a few cheat meals.  The calories boost the metabolism to raging speeds and kick start your fat burn process again.  Kfc is a good cheat meal as it is you can load with protein from chicken get the calories and carbs.

Bodybuilders dying early not that many as you may think, they just make the news its as usual the users vs abusers.  Excessive roids do the same damage as a alcoholic with the strain on the liver / kidneys.  Arnold still alive and kicking? or the original hulk Lou Ferigno?  Steroids have become rampant now in society vs when I started and there is alot of guys here in their 60s plus who are on gear as test replacement and do weights.  Its easy to tell as they are really muscular.

Long term affects of dieting etc, last blood test a couple of years ago im now in my mid 40s doc said I have the health of a 20 yr old.

Dont be afraid to experiment alot of these diets that are all the rage is for the diet industry to get people to buy their products. Common sense prevails on eating on how you feel.

11 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Ok but excessive carbs cause insulin spikes.

Isnt it like smoking one day a week.

Depends what you call excessive, the carbs also help to replenish the glycogen lost. I don't have a problem with carbs you fear the. Science can defend both positions. So you do what you do and I do what I do. For me carbs are great to replenish the glycogen needed for hard workouts. There is some research that insulin works to build muscle too (but research that says it does not help too) Yea... for research in giving us absolutely nothing. 

I have actually lost weight after higher carb days as my body stressed from the diet (the longer your on a diet the more you stress your body, sometimes your body then holds on to water) After a higher carb day the next day i weighted less on the scales. That is something that has been noticed by many people. So that is a proven thing.

But really.. you just like low carb and fear carbs.. then stay away from them. Not everyone needs to stay away from carbs.

Archived