Keto and Back

Justfine

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/14/2018 at 2:29 PM, Justfine said:

I stand by what I said.  If you read that article with one slant, and again with the opposing viewpoint, it'll fit whatever you want to read.  In that sense it's a good article for getting views, but a critical thinker would see it for what it is.

My own experience in some of those things mentioned differ greatly.  Do I ignore my body and believe the internet?

On 6/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, csabo said:

Are you under the impression that's some kind of secret tip? 

Yeah, I spoke as the voice of authority.  No, I said that this is what I'd read, and my own experience supported some of those assertions.

For those who already know everything, why waste your time being on a forum?

10 minutes ago, Shiver said:

I stand by what I said.  If you read that article with one slant, and again with the opposing viewpoint, it'll fit whatever you want to read.  In that sense it's a good article for getting views, but a critical thinker would see it for what it is.

My own experience in some of those things mentioned differ greatly.  Do I ignore my body and believe the internet?

What did you say?

On 6/14/2018 at 3:27 PM, BigT73 said:

Actually the opposite your body doesnt understand when you are dieting, it thinks you are actually starving, bodys first response is to canabolise muscle as it isnt needed and perserve your body fat as a last resource fuel source, it will also try to slow down your metabolism.  Hence to trick it is to load up on calories once or twice a week it will then continue fatburning and perserve all your muscle gains.  Simalar to this was the low cal diet with a cheat day to load up on calories.

Almost all of this has been debunked by the new research on fasting.  Your body is designed to eat your fat stores first and gear up your metabolism so that YOU DON'T STARVE.  We would not be here on the planet as a species if our bodies ate all of our muscle mass and slowed our metabolism when we were without food.  We would have perished as a species a long time ago.  Once you completely stop eating the body actually gears up for food finding.  

Almost all the current research on fasting shows an increase in metabolism and a switch over to fat burning as soon as the body depletes its energy stores.  Evidently, human fat is a great source of energy.

This idea that the body would burn important muscle mass needed to go out and drag in food is really contrary to what we know today.  I believe most of this thinking was designed by the food processing industry to scare people into constant eating and poorly designed low calorie diets.

As we all monitor our own bodies I found my body really responds to intermittent fasting and KETO to kill off the hunger.  It seems to work exactly as described in most keto and fasting sites.  I had a successful weight loss of around 41 USA lbs and an increase in muscle mass of about 12 lbs which I documented with a high tech high quality scale at my health club.  

I just had nothing but ups and down with the lo calorie diet and cheat day.  I am not ever returning to that method.  If it works for you I salute you tho.'  Everyone has to listen to their bodies.  

21 hours ago, Justfine said:

"And the amount of carbs that can be eaten and still stay in ketosis is different for everybody."

Depends a lot on exercise.

The more you exercise the more depleted glycogen stores get, the more carbs can be eaten.

I eat more carbs pre and post workout.

You can get those pee strips and see if you are really in ketosis or not.  I did that once and found that I really needed a few days of damn near zero carbs to get my body to do it.  

1 minute ago, dontoearth said:

You can get those pee strips and see if you are really in ketosis or not.  I did that once and found that I really needed a few days of damn near zero carbs to get my body to do it.  

Ok. My main focus is weight training now. Diet seems to work on auto pilot.

Here is something I came across and I have subscribed to the group because I am interested to see Keto and other popular ways of eating from other points of view.

I have not researched this doctor so I have no idea of where her funding comes from or what secret agendas she may have.

This is what an email from her tells me:-

About Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, MS, DC, CCN, DACBN

Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, founder of the Institute of Nutritional Endocrinology, is passionately committed to transforming our current broken disease-care system into a true health care system where each and every practitioner is skilled at finding the root cause of health challenges and uses the wisdom of nature combined with modern scientific research to restore balance.

Dr. Ritamarie, a licensed Doctor of Chiropractic with Certifications in Acupuncture, Nutrition, Herbal Medicine, and HeartMath®, specializes in digestion, thyroid, adrenal, and insulin imbalances. She’s also a master at using palate-pleasing, whole fresh food as medicine, and is a best-selling author, speaker, and internationally recognized nutrition and women’s health authority with over 25 years of clinical experience.

I'm sure you've heard the buzz about the paleo diet.  A huge number of functional doctors are recommending it for all their patients, with the belief that it's the best diet for inflammation, fatigue, and autoimmune disease.

The keto diet is the big rage these days, too.  People are buying ketone meters and working hard to stay in ketosis.  
And plant-based diets are claimed to reverse heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, yet many doctors and nutritionists don't think they are healthy.
Each of these approaches have hazards, and it's important for you to know about  them.  

It's super confusing to know what to eat.  Every summit, Facebook video, and expert blog is full of information, claiming to have the perfect diet for you.
It's to the point that my patients and clients are becoming food-phobic.
That's why I decided to put together a brand new webinar, "The Hazards of Paleo, Keto, and Plant-based Diets."

Does anyone else know about this free seminar?

Will anyone else check it out?

I get the feeling from some of the recent posts that Keto is being treated as some sort of religion -

Whereas I think of it as just a tool to help us regain control of our health  - Despite all the effort that Governments, the food and health industries put into keeping us dumbded down and sick enough to just continue to pay taxes, buy junk food and medication.....

Low carb is just common sense to me. If you own a car and it sits around most of the time there is no need to buy $50 of fuel each week. It's not needed. The excess fuel will spill out. You only top up when required.

Same principle with carbs and people. Carbs is fuel. You eat what you need. Any more spills over into fat.

I think the problem nowadays is that especially sugar is in everything. Orange juice 23%, peanut butter 20%, ice tea 35%, sodas 23%. If you look at the labels you will be shocked.

Especially the amount of corn syrup. The you get your oils of which palm oil is the most used in products you would not expect.

The whole 'light' craze that started a few decades ago started it. Everyone did not want to have any fat in anything. So the manufacturers listened and replaced it with sugar and oils.

This daily overdose of sugars has lots of effects on how your body responds to insulin. I know a 15 year boy (friend of my son), seemingly healthy and maybe a bit skinny was recently diagnosed with diabetes type II.

What do the doctors tell him, 30-40 carbs per meal. And insuline shots every two weeks. After every meal a blood sugar test. So should i tell his parents about keto and how it helps with that? Basically saying their doctor is a complete idiot. He did stop to drink two or three lipton ice teas a day, because he was warned about drinking sodas because they are so unhealthy and they really thought that was more healthy. I will slowly nudge them to read about it, so they can make their own decisions.

Information, perception and knowledge is very difficult to get as so much conflicting data is published. So for me, few years ago, i just thought, i'll just test this 'keto thing' as it worked pretty good for a friend of mine. It worked better then expected. Now i am on an 'almost keto' based eating style and it suits me well, easy to maintain. Mostly food that is in the keto diet with a few carbs now and then.

I've been using keto for the past year or so and enjoy it. I eat carbs and drop out on occasion, but I haven't eaten many high sugar foods for at least a year.

I do make lots of keto adaptations of non-keto foods, and for those who miss pizza, try this recipe out:

17 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

I think the problem nowadays is that especially sugar is in everything. Orange juice 23%, peanut butter 20%, ice tea 35%, sodas 23%. If you look at the labels you will be shocked.

Especially the amount of corn syrup. The you get your oils of which palm oil is the most used in products you would not expect.

The whole 'light' craze that started a few decades ago started it. Everyone did not want to have any fat in anything. So the manufacturers listened and replaced it with sugar and oils.

This daily overdose of sugars has lots of effects on how your body responds to insulin. I know a 15 year boy (friend of my son), seemingly healthy and maybe a bit skinny was recently diagnosed with diabetes type II.

What do the doctors tell him, 30-40 carbs per meal. And insuline shots every two weeks. After every meal a blood sugar test. So should i tell his parents about keto and how it helps with that? Basically saying their doctor is a complete idiot. He did stop to drink two or three lipton ice teas a day, because he was warned about drinking sodas because they are so unhealthy and they really thought that was more healthy. I will slowly nudge them to read about it, so they can make their own decisions.

Information, perception and knowledge is very difficult to get as so much conflicting data is published. So for me, few years ago, i just thought, i'll just test this 'keto thing' as it worked pretty good for a friend of mine. It worked better then expected. Now i am on an 'almost keto' based eating style and it suits me well, easy to maintain. Mostly food that is in the keto diet with a few carbs now and then.

I think some gentle nudges and some direction pointing is in order with your friends son.  He is far too young to let a doctor destroy his health like that with insulin.  Some of the doctors advocating total diet as the cure to Type II diabetes refer to the treatment method with insulin as "Doctor assisted suicide!"  My old college room mate died at age 48 blind with missing limbs from lifetime insulin.  He was treated by the best expert doctor at the largest university hospital in the midwest USA.  The protocol was called timed carbohydrate eating.  Doctors believed carbs were so important that they had diabetics use little clocks and had them eat controlled portions of carbs every few hours.  We know today this is total nonsense but that was the medical treatment being pushed  at the time.  Today my old college roomate might be alive on a Keto or no carb diet and have no health problems at all.  Alternatives were not known when we were younger.  

The doctors often standardize on a bad treatment protocol encouraged by the drug companies and not by the best interest or health of their patients.

And if the kid and parents don't take the advice don't be too hard on yourself.  Today I have pizza with a friend that uses insulin.  He insist he is just fine and getting better with his medications everyday.  The fact that he is not seems to delude him entirely and after one good natured attempt in a full afternoon of supplying him with lots of alternative treatment and a few books I gave up.  My friend just believes you should listen to your doctors you are paying for the best advice possible.  I bow out and don't do anything further with trying to help him.  It is similar I guess to friends that used to smoke years ago.  After you tell them a few times you give up.

Good Luck 2 you!  I hope for the best.  There is so much out there today to help people with Type II diabetes get off of all the treatments that damage their bodies that is sad the medical community is still pushing outdated damaging treatments.

7 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I think some gentle nudges and some direction pointing is in order with your friends son.  He is far too young to let a doctor destroy his health like that with insulin.  Some of the doctors advocating total diet as the cure to Type II diabetes refer to the treatment method with insulin as "Doctor assisted suicide!"  My old college room mate died at age 48 blind with missing limbs from lifetime insulin.  He was treated by the best expert doctor at the largest university hospital in the midwest USA.  The protocol was called timed carbohydrate eating.  Doctors believed carbs were so important that they had diabetics use little clocks and had them eat controlled portions of carbs every few hours.  We know today this is total nonsense but that was the medical treatment being pushed  at the time.  Today my old college roomate might be alive on a Keto or no carb diet and have no health problems at all.  Alternatives were not known when we were younger.  

The doctors often standardize on a bad treatment protocol encouraged by the drug companies and not by the best interest or health of their patients.

And if the kid and parents don't take the advice don't be too hard on yourself.  Today I have pizza with a friend that uses insulin.  He insist he is just fine and getting better with his medications everyday.  The fact that he is not seems to delude him entirely and after one good natured attempt in a full afternoon of supplying him with lots of alternative treatment and a few books I gave up.  My friend just believes you should listen to your doctors you are paying for the best advice possible.  I bow out and don't do anything further with trying to help him.  It is similar I guess to friends that used to smoke years ago.  After you tell them a few times you give up.

Good Luck 2 you!  I hope for the best.  There is so much out there today to help people with Type II diabetes get off of all the treatments that damage their bodies that is sad the medical community is still pushing outdated damaging treatments. 

I agree with you.

On Facebook there is a guy who was morbidly obese. He had type II diabetes and had lost the feeling in his feet to the extent that on a bonfire night, he stood so close to the fire that he got second degree burns on both feet without realising it.

This guy changed his lifestyle and has reversed everything.

The before and after pictures of him are amazing.

He created a documentary series of his journey and I watched it while it was free.

He showed success and failure (when he fell off the wagon), it was very moving.

He now had many followers who are following in his lifestyle changes and having similar successes to him.

OK, so now he earns money from sharing....

So what!

iTHRIVE is a closed group

Here is a before and after pic:-

Before and after.JPG

12 minutes ago, laislica said:

I agree with you.

On Facebook there is a guy who was morbidly obese. He had type II diabetes and had lost the feeling in his feet to the extent that on a bonfire night, he stood so close to the fire that he got second degree burns on both feet without realising it.

The before and after pictures of him are amazing.

He created a documentary series of his journey and I watched it while it was free.

He showed success and failure (when he fell off the wagon), it was very moving.

He now had many followers who are following in his lifestyle changes and having similar successes to him.

OK, so now he earns money from sharing....

So what!

iTHRIVE is a closed group

Here is a before and after pic:-

Before and after.JPG

Look like different people.

15 hours ago, Justfine said:

Look like different people.

There are more than enough people that have completely reversed diabetes on the internet.  Youtube is a good place to look for inspirational and how to videos.  And there are plenty of medical doctors backing up this work today.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:09 AM, laislica said:

I agree with you.

I bet he still has to severely limit his carbs though. There is no cure for diabetes. It sounds like he arrested the disease.

10 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Keto sticks did anyone get them in Chiang Mai?

Even my big pharmacy on Keo Narawat St which supplies many smaller pharmacies is no help!

So the question is if not in CM how to get keto sticks?

You can buy them from Lazada, search on"  Ketone strips"

On 6/18/2018 at 3:34 AM, dontoearth said:

There are more than enough people that have completely reversed diabetes on the internet.  Youtube is a good place to look for inspirational and how to videos.  And there are plenty of medical doctors backing up this work today.

Oh, so much to lose.....

Actually, the trick is to find the lifestyle that you can live with.

Then All OK.

For me, it seems to be bits of Paleo, Keto and plant. Mostly veggies.

It seems to work for me and something that I can stay with on the long term.

The link I offered was very helpful.

Maybe you can find it on youtube?

Whatever.

Eating is NOT a religion full stop!

It's just what we do.

When we follow the SAD (Standard American Diet) - well you know what follows.....

If we choose to eat healthily, then we only need to detox the <deleted> that comes in that we cannot avoid.....

Then we good.....

3 hours ago, laislica said:

Oh, so much to lose.....

Actually, the trick is to find the lifestyle that you can live with.

Then All OK.

For me, it seems to be bits of Paleo, Keto and plant. Mostly veggies.

It seems to work for me and something that I can stay with on the long term.

The link I offered was very helpful.

Maybe you can find it on youtube?

Whatever.

Eating is NOT a religion full stop!

It's just what we do.

When we follow the SAD (Standard American Diet) - well you know what follows.....

If we choose to eat healthily, then we only need to detox the <deleted> that comes in that we cannot avoid.....

Then we good.....

Yes you are right. Finding a balance between nutrition and enjoying the food so that it is sustainable.

Eating out is the hardest bit as there are so many dishes full of carbs.

Archived