First time going to vietnam

watgate

I am planning on going to Vietnam this October with my g/f and her daughter and was wondering what would be the best city or place to see for the first time in Vietnam. I will most likely only be able to fly to one city and am undecided between HCM City and Hanoi. I understand HCM City is hotter and drier whereas Hanoi is more in the mountains and thus subject to more rain. In your opinion what would be the best city to explore for the first time to get a feel for Vietnam? Also, if you have any recommendations for places to visit near each city to heighten your interest would be appreciated.  Thanks

for the first time tourist with family I'd suggest Hanoi...the old town is quite nice and there are side trips to Sapa and Halong Bay...HCMC is a bit more rough and tumble but district 1 is nice...not good for walking though because of the heat and humidity...Hanoi can get uncomfortably cold in the winter unlike HCMC...check the weather before you go...

I've lived in both places on work assignments and Hanoi is my favorite place...

I'm a Hanoian also.

Stay around Hoan Kiem Lake, lots of bars and restaurants in the area, and the old quarter of course.

See the Water Puppet Show, Uncle Ho's museum, house and mausoleum. The One Pillar Pagoda and Temple of Literature.

Day trip to Huong Pagoda

Day trip to Ninh Binh

A few days in Ha Long Bay.

Sa Pa if you have time.

Weather in October is cool, the North seems to have much the same seasons as Europe, the South is more like Thailand.

• 9 months later...

sometime in the past I mentioned a supermarket in the Hanoi old town area on the west side of the lake where you could get avocados and everything else for regular supermarket prices...I went by there today and the place is a now a building site for a new european franchise luxury hotel, the supermarket was in an old building and ripe for 'redevelopment' in that prime lakeside location, was there last 2 years ago...

otherwise quite chilly today, light jacket weather...now they block off the road circling the lake and the whole place becomes a promenade on a Sunday, quite nice with families, etc...me bein' a doddering old dude these days and unsteady on my feet I had to watch out for small children running between my legs...nice promenading eye candy...

Archived