New? Police check address and picture of farang NE

DJ54

I live in village in Northeast. Today police came by I wasn’t home. I’m advised tomorrow I need to go the Police station. 

They police will take pictures of me and I need to provide wher I live. 

Is this New? Isn’t and overkill as Immigration has all the information also 90 day check ins as required . 

Thanks 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All kidding aside. If it was the “Immigration Police” they are just doing their job. If on a retirement/non-o with family extension (you did say 90 day check in’s) , there is a requirement to have pictures of you/home/family in your file.
If it’s any other “police” its a scam waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in a village in the NE and the police have been coming to my house, and other long stay farang, every year. Always the same policeman and all he asks for is a photocopy of my passport picture page. If I recall correctly it all started about 10 years ago when some farang lady was found dead on one of the islands. They couldn't ID her and the local police didn't keep a record of farangs living in their area. I think it became mandatory there after. Well it is where I live.

2 weeks ago the local police came and checked me,1st time in 14 years.

Thought it was because i have always been on a married visa(leave every 3 months)

but after my check they were off to see a mate down the road on retirement visa,so it was a check on all farangs in the area.

Four local cops came to the small estate I live on a couple of weeks ago. The senior officer (the only one who spoke English) looked at my PP for a very long time and then asked me to point out where the latest 'permission to stay until...' stamp was. He didn't appear to be familiar with foreign PP's at all. They took a photo of it but not of me or anything else.

They were extremely polite and proper and spoke to the other two farangs who also live here. They apparently told one of them that they were looking for a German national but wouldn't say why.

The Thai owner of the estate had warned us two months ago that they would be coming as there was a tax issue concerning the status of the estate.

Whatever the 'real' reason was for the visit it was no problem.

Simon

1 hour ago, Rdrokit said:

If you are here on a visa based on marriage they should come out each year to make sure you are still married and living together in your registered address.

They do not do it every year. It is normally only done for the first extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa) and some offices do not even do that.

I am on 10th extension and have never had a visit.

Yeah I live in the NE and got a visit last week as well.

They took a couple of photos, checked my passport stamps and told me they would update my address (we had moved to the next village over).

One policeman, one local immigration official and someone I'm not sure about. 

The local RTP, not Immigration, have been carrying out a census of all foreigners every couple of years in my neck of the woods. When I enquired why, I was told they had been given instructions to know the location of every foreigner  in our district.

In my little village 5 of the local constabulary come by every couple years to a photo, plus a copy of my passport. We know them all (small town, everybody knows of knows of every, or is related) so it’s more of a social call. They’re evidently required to know the residence of the foreigners living in their jurisdiction in the event of death or accident. One of the few things they actually prepare for in advance! No problems...

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:21 AM, Martyjustice said:

All kidding aside. If it was the “Immigration Police” they are just doing their job. If on a retirement/non-o with family extension (you did say 90 day check in’s) , there is a requirement to have pictures of you/home/family in your file.

Actually the OP said they were advised to go to the police station", if they were Immigration police they would have said come to the immigration office

On 6/14/2018 at 1:21 AM, Martyjustice said:

In that case they already have a photo on file. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not do it every year. It is normally only done for the first extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa) and some offices do not even do that.

I am on 10th extension and have never had a visit.

Careful Joe. Don't tempt fate. I said the same, 2 years ago and a week later they were on my doorstep.

I live in Ratchaburi.  Immigration police came to my house a couple of days ago, they called first, to take photos of me in front of the house and of my passport.  It is the first time they have come here.  They said the government was getting stricter now.  They told me they would be checking every month from now on.

1 minute ago, rwill said:

I live in Ratchaburi.  Immigration police came to my house a couple of days ago, they called first, to take photos of me in front of the house and of my passport.  It is the first time they have come here.  They said the government was getting stricter now.  They told me they would be checking every month from now on.

Stock up on beer....:stoner:

yep,  four  well dressed police at our farm 20 ks from si that, first time in 5 years , they checked my retirement visa, they were very polite after inspecting all my papers, we had a good bla bla , couple bottles and see ya later, all good, they said just checking, every ferang in the area

We had a visit from the Phetchabun Immigration Police last week so they had traveled about 100 km for the inspection. The officer that spoke to me identified her signature on the extension of stay. Very polite, took a photo of me holding the passport with her.

This has already been discussed.  Nothing sinister just a check that you are where you reported to be.  In Hua Hin, they sometimes 'delegate' to to the 'normal' police.  It is instigated by the immigration police.  Nothing to worry about.  They're just doing their job.

Always polite and friendly.

As far as I know 90 day reports on retirement visa or extension is all that is needed. In 3 years never a visit. Although the local police came by a few months ago looking for a German expat. I was not home. I think they use the German expat as a ruse. 

Archived