New? Police check address and picture of farang NE

DJ54

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I don't understand is that they said they were going to return every month.  If so what's the point of doing 90 day reporting?  Whether they actually do show up every month remains to be seen though.

The only thing I don't understand is that they said they were going to return every month.  If so what's the point of doing 90 day reporting?  Whether they actually do show up every month remains to be seen though.

That does sound very strange and possibly the message got lost in translation or you paid them too much ‘tea-money or beer’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

What would That achieve??

Avoid talking to idiots and being check by people to whom I would never talk in my private life.

I live northeast of Chiang Rai in a small village. The head of our Muban had me and my girlfriend fill out a table with my name, age, address and phone number. He was told, presumably by Immigration, to get all farangs here (both of us) to complete the form, to help Immigration double-check what we put on our visa forms and to help Immigration track overstayers. No need to show my passport or have any photos taken.

First time ever in 10+ years. No big deal...

I live in Mukdahan and Thai Immigration Officers  conduct these checks here. Had mine done earlier this ear and my friend a few Soi's away visited about two weeks later. All normal. If you are a law abiding citizen and not a trouble maker, you will have a peaceful life in Thailand.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not do it every year. It is normally only done for the first extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa) and some offices do not even do that.

I am on 10th extension and have never had a visit.

I  am on my  16th extension based  on  retirement (  but also formally  married) and  have  had  two visits.  One  from local Police who seemed to require  only basic  information  for  local  records while the  second by  Immigration was  more like that  based  on a   marriage  extension but which I attributed  to a  change  in  Provincial  office   jurisdiction and so a  verification  of  circumstance. Both  visits were very amiable and  non consequential.

These   visits  were  years  apart.

More  than once I have heard of as well as know of long stay "farang" who  have  been involved in serious accidents at times resulting  in  death. Because it  involved  the  local Police  who  had no  official  awareness of these  individuals it  created  problems  as  to proper  procedure due to  the issue of  whether  or   not  their  presence  was  legitimate  or  not which  understandably  involves  a   different  level of  paper work in addition to  the" Official " allocation of blame  for  the  accident or death.

Given  the  conditions  of  extension  based  on whatever criteria a  visit to a  legitimate  inhabitant from  local  Police is  probably  more  the result  of directe or  precautionary compliance  by  the "Visitor" rather than  anything  sinister.

Exceptions  to that  would  be  those  who are in the  habit  of  annoying the  local  community. lol

I had to go to the Police Station in town 20 km away. Only because I wasn’t home when the check. A smaller office behind the main building.

They all 6 or 7 had plain clothes on but sports shirts had KOAP or similar. Papa went with me and the Police English was difficult but 

we got through it. 

They asked for passport which I had sent to Bangkok for renewal so gave them Thai DL. Should paperwork that I sent and it worke out.

Took picture of me. Checked my height. Ask if Tattoo? Yes and they checked. 

All good but and I’m sure they have reason as suggest in the post. 

On 6/14/2018 at 6:36 AM, Rally123 said:

I live in a village in the NE and the police have been coming to my house, and other long stay farang, every year. Always the same policeman and all he asks for is a photocopy of my passport picture page. If I recall correctly it all started about 10 years ago when some farang lady was found dead on one of the islands. They couldn't ID her and the local police didn't keep a record of farangs living in their area. I think it became mandatory there after. Well it is where I live.

I live near Pranburi, I have a Policeman come  about twice a  week, we usually chat about how  crap the govt is and how he hates being in the Police and only does it for the pension and hospital perks and how bad the corruption is in the force.

He'll tell us any local news any info on robbers or scams etc sometimes  we'll go out with his Wife and kids for a meal, he's a good  guy and so is his partner at the Police box, they aint all  crap many are  just trapped in the system.

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I live in Mukdahan and Thai Immigration Officers  conduct these checks here. Had mine done earlier this ear and my friend a few Soi's away visited about two weeks later. All normal. If you are a law abiding citizen and not a trouble maker, you will have a peaceful life in Thailand.

Thats not strictly true, I knew someone who came here and his partner ended up dead and he was law abiding.

No visit in 7 years.

Again and again reports about such visits surface.

There is no simple pattern to see why or why not they do a visit.

What seems obvious: local police sometimes acts on behalf of immigration police (both under the same hierarchy).

Some immigration offices cover areas up to 100km radius or more and would have a high effort to visit all foreigners.

Avoid talking to idiots and being check by people to whom I would never talk in my private life.

Do you not inform Immigration of your location every 90 days and when you move residencies?

That is why I cannot see How moving would stop the visits.

44 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Do you not inform Immigration of your location every 90 days and when you move residencies?

That is why I cannot see How moving would stop the visits.

No, I do not inform of anything and will never. I just pass a border every 3 months, 4 times a year, to still have a face and not become a slave of all these idiots.

No, I do not inform of anything and will never. I just pass a border every 3 months, 4 times a year, to still have a face and not become a slave of all these idiots.

Maybe we are all getting home visits because they are looking for you????

(Joke)

30 years living at the same address and never seen 

anybody from officialdom,now i have said that they

will probably be someone knocking at the door ,next

week, if/when they do come I would not be inviting

them in for a beer and pork scratchings,show them 

my documents and get them on their way,better not

to encourage them.

regards worgeordie

A while back, when I visited the police station to get a residence cert for a driving licence, the police officer told me that there is a rule that foreigners must register with the local police station once a year. He went on to explain that this rule is not strictly enforced but the police do like to try to keep track of who lives where. 

I have not had a visit from police but I have had a visit from village head man who wanted to take my details. This was by order of the local police. Looks like the police in some areas are a little more serious about this than others.

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

A while back, when I visited the police station to get a residence cert for a driving licence, the police officer told me that there is a rule that foreigners must register with the local police station once a year. He went on to explain that this rule is not strictly enforced but the police do like to try to keep track of who lives where. 

I have not had a visit from police but I have had a visit from village head man who wanted to take my details. This was by order of the local police. Looks like the police in some areas are a little more serious about this than others.

The head man keeps a ledger with the addresses and folk who reside there in his area....

Just now, transam said:

The head man keeps a ledger with the addresses and folk who reside there in his area....

Yes, he does. He has been to see me about that too.

This particular time he said it was about foreigners for the police.

Do the Buriram Police still issue residence certificates now that there is a ‘local’ immigration office?

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

must register yearly ; geez they make it up as it goes along. So we report annually for extensions, then 90 days, then TM 30 each return in country. Only thing missing is the jail bracelet around the ankle!!

18 hours ago, rwill said:

Thai translation:

Smile = no idea, Month = year, etc, etc, etc, 555

16 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I had to go to the Police Station in town 20 km away. Only because I wasn’t home when the check. A smaller office behind the main building.

They all 6 or 7 had plain clothes on but sports shirts had KOAP or similar. Papa went with me and the Police English was difficult but 

we got through it. 

They asked for passport which I had sent to Bangkok for renewal so gave them Thai DL. Should paperwork that I sent and it worke out.

Took picture of me. Checked my height. Ask if Tattoo? Yes and they checked. 

All good but and I’m sure they have reason as suggest in the post. 

The confusing part for me here, not that I have renewed my passport, is that you say you live in the north-east, but you sent you passport off to Bangkok for renewal.

I was told when it comes to renewing passports, you have to do it in person, and collect it in person ?

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was told when it comes to renewing passports, you have to do it in person, and collect it in person ?

That depends upon a person's nationality. Some countries allow it to be done by mail or even online.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon a person's nationality. Some countries allow it to be done by mail or even online.

Good stuff to know, unfortunately the Aussie's are not so accommodating from advise given to me, although I have been told that I can go to Laos which is about an hour 30 from me to get it done at the Australian Embassy there, when it is due in a few years time, which would save me a lot, otherwise I would have to fly to BKK and get it done there and wait for 3 days to collect it as opposed to returning back here and then going back to BKK again to collect it.

Archived