Bangkok couple went on 400,000 baht spending spree and holiday with stolen ATM cards

webfact

5 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

As usual, the important bit of how the password was got, is NOT in the report. 

They say there was many stolen cards and purchased mercendise found in their home. The thieves must be professionals and have a system to make the cards to stick in the machine.

Then a hidden micro camera to record the code and go into the bank and claim the cards when they see someone leaving the ATM without claiming a stuck card.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Agreed. I can only compare it with the UK: Machine bleeps - remove card. Failure to remove card will prevent cash being dispensed.

Here it's a lack of common sense by the bank staff controlling the system.

Now there's a surprise.

my card was used in california home depot the same day as i used it in my home country,the bank realised i could not be in 2 countries at the same time and refunded me the money ,500 dollars as to how it was done i have no idea. you dont have to leave your card or lose it to be scammed.inciddentally my scb card has a 6 pin number not 4 as in previous posts above. bank cancelled card and reissued  a new one.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:45 AM, bluesofa said:

Agreed. I can only compare it with the UK: Machine bleeps - remove card. Failure to remove card will prevent cash being dispensed.

Lack of "Common Sense" here period!!! :coffee1:

On 6/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, bluesofa said:

There's a pre-set spending limit when you don't need to sign. Over that and you will.

So any savvy thief will just keep making small purchases. What a silly system.

Same as in the USA

On 6/14/2018 at 2:02 PM, thinknirmal said:

At least in India, one cannot set their own PIN anymore. You choose two digits and the bank generates the other two digits.

ing in Holland generates the whole pin , so you get a number you didnot choose yourself 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, bluesofa said:

Bank staff do not control the system , the banks buy cash dispensing machines from the machines' manufacturers!

Just now, Just Weird said:

Bank staff do not control the system , the banks buy cash dispensing machines from the machines' manufacturers!

Yes, I know I said 'bank staff', OK: 'bank ATM development staff'. Those staff can request it to be customised to the bank's own specifications. So it is down to the bank.

The cash dispensing companies are global, and to make a sale can alter the software to suit the customer. That's why in other countries you need to remove your card before you can get the cash - it's down to the bank telling the ATM company how they want it to work.

A lot of these cash machines are still running on Windows XP, so for all I know, it may well be the 'bank technical staff' can directly access the coding.

FWIW, I'm waiting for a reply from the Bank Of Thailand. I have asked them if it is down to individual banks, or do the BOT tell the banks how the ATM operating procedure has to work.

A few months ago I asked the BOT about the new (to Thailand) 'chip & pin' smart cards, and why I some retailers can't accept them (that was a personal issue I had trying to use my new card in a retail outlet).

That took weeks to find out it is the BOT who have instructed all Thai banks to issue the new cards and withdraw the magnetic stripe only cards by the end of 2019, as they see the chip & pin cards as more secure.

They also told me that all ATM machines have now been updated nationally and can read the microchip on the new cards.

Archived